If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

REQUEST: Add audio delay when using bluetooth

Post by esmith13
I would like to request either a permanent change or an option be added in settings for when you use bluetooth audio output.

Both of my cars have bluetooth audio which is my preference in waze settings, however they are both 2007 vehicles with older bluetooth technology/stereos. Because of this, the first second of whatever words or sounds waze makes are cut off because the car audio is slow in switching to bluetooth.

Example:

I'm listening to the radio or CD in my car (2007 BMW 328xi). Waze is running with bluetooth audio paired to my car. While driving, Waze will want to alert me of "an accident on the road ahead". Because my car is older and slower to switch from radio/cd to bluetooth's open channel, what I actually hear is "cident on road ahead". Also if I'm using navigation and choose to ignore Waze's suggestion, I only hear the last tiniest bit of the "bleep" sound Waze makes when recalculation directions. Same thing for the tone you hear when someone thanks you - I get the last fraction of the sound.

Waze and my iPhone 4 are working fine - I know it's the car's bluetooth switching audio modes too slow. I have also tested it with a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 and got the same audio issues in both cars.

I'm also fairly sure since this hasn't been previously addressed - it only happens with older cars, which is why I think the best option may be to add a setting right under "prefer bluetooth audio" to set and audio delay of 0, 0.5 or 1 full second. Now technically a delay wouldn't help. What I really need Waze to do is open the bluetooth broadcast that 0.5-1sec earlier that it starts talking or beeping. Perhaps then a "dead air" sound file would be needed? Dunno that much about bluetooth audio broadcasting.

Again, I know the issue is with the car not Waze. I'm asking if Waze could have a fix or a setting to compensate for this. While it's still fully functional it does kinda suck to hear cut-off words and sounds.

Thanks for reading! Thanks as well for the greatest navigation app there is!!

Eric Smith
esmith13

POSTER_ID:5896348

Send a message

Post by DJChalky
It's not just older Bluetooth devices, my Parrot is brand new but still takes a second to switch to Bluetooth and I to find this quite irritating!
DJChalky
Send a message

Post by Jonnyhuk2
I'd like to +1 for this...

The Waze audio won't route through my Parrot Bluetooth phone kit and the phone's inbuilt speaker is pathetic so I bought a small bluetooth battery powered speaker, it's great, loud enough, but when paired to the phone using bluetooth, I too miss the start of any instructions. I can connect the speaker by a cable and I hear the full command but the cable gets in the way and also picks up the "bzz bzz" interference from the phone which the bluetooth doesn't.

Thanks
Jonnyhuk2
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Ex-Area Manager - southern Hampshire / W.Sussex, UK

Post by mbd63
+1 here also. My 2011 Chevy Colorado (so it's not just 'old' cars, I understand the problem exists in 2014 Colorados as well) won't accept any bluetooth but a phone call. So I installed the AudioBT Plus app - which does communicate from my Samsung Note 3 to the truck via Bluetooth. But I lose the first second or so of the navigation command. Wish there was a way to delay the Waze vocalization.
mbd63
Send a message

Post by roadrunn
+1 here too. The only time I can hear the full instruction is when I am streaming with Google Music (so the BT channel is open anyway). But if the BT channel is idle, I always lose the first second of instruction from Waze.
roadrunn
Send a message
[img]https:///yg4dV[/img]