Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Why do you edit maps?

Post by stevecody
To all of you Wazers who take the time to edit the Waze maps:

I've noticed that friends of mine look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I edit maps on Waze. I figure there must be some personality that drives people to want to edit.

Is it because you like cartography?
Is it because you like making maps and routing work better?
Is it because you like earning points and wearing a Waze Crown and being a Gold Wazer?

All of the commercial GPSs I've owned have always had issues with out of date maps. I like using a GPS even for places I know the route so that I can see my estimated arrival time. When the maps are outdated, the routing is wrong, and my arrival estimates are worthless. I also like to pay attention to the estimated arrival time when I try a different route so I can find the true fastest route.

Anyway, with all that said, I like to edit the maps because I hate having inaccurate maps in my GPS app. I love the fact that I can fix the routes I drive and see changes show up in a matter of weeks. I know that if I can make it better for me that I can hopefully make it better for others.

Also, the points system is pretty compelling too. I love being in the top 50 in my state overall. ;) And the #1 in my state for the last 2 weeks.

Lastly, I'm a computer geek. I am a Systems Engineer that works on servers and networking equipment all day long. I geek out at home with my Raspberry Pi and my Macs. I commute about 45 miles each way to/from work.

Steve
stevecody
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:9168526

Send a message

Post by stevecody
I have noticed lately than some of what I have started to enjoy more was correcting the map error reports by people. I hope the ability to communicate back to the reporting person comes back. I would love to be able to tell people that I've corrected their problem but it will take a week or so before they will see the change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stevecody
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by stevecody
zCougar wrote:When I read these posts I couldn't agree more. All the same reasons plus I have started with map editing when in Estonia there was few streets in the capital and almost no roads outside. Now I guess the capital is 99% mapped. All other big cities are also going better every day. Major highways are mapped, a lot of minor roads as well.
This is one of the biggest reasons I use Waze and edit maps. I feel like I am helping someone everytime I map out a neighborhood or new roads that aren't currently on the map. It's probably because these are the areas that have frustrated me the most with other GPS systems... the lack of current maps.
stevecody
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by stevecody
Well, I have never been much of a cartography nut, but I do like adding neighborhoods and other things that currently aren't in the maps. I like knowing that Waze can be more up to date than the commercial competitors, especially when it comes to newly completed road construction or new neighborhoods.
stevecody
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by stevecody
WeeeZer14 wrote:...
I may not be able to cure cancer or create world peace, but if I can make people's time on the road a little less stressful, I feel that I have helped people.
I agree. I especially like to add brand new neighborhoods, even ones not showing up on the satellite imagery yet. I just think it's cool I can actually see the improvements that I've made, i.e. new roads, neighborhoods, etc., within a short period of time. There is a sense of satisfaction that I am helping other people, as well as myself. ;)
stevecody
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by splash883
I love this thread! Thanks for the editing, you guys! :P
splash883
Send a message
Verizon iPhone 6S iOS 10.3.3, Waze Level: Royalty

Post by Rynerson27
For the points....
Rynerson27
Send a message

Post by rivermedic
I'm a paramedic in a very rural Texas county; we have correct maps and all GPS systems are wrong. With Waze I can see immediate results and updates. There is much satisfaction in that and getting an ambulance to the scene without any errors. I appreciate all the work of you hard working Texas Wazers out there and all the help you have given me!
rivermedic
Send a message
Area Manager: DFW, Central and part of West Texas

https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/1/14/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by redshift9
I just think Waze is a neat idea, and I want it to work better.

I've been at this for less than a week, and the roads in my area seem to be pretty well mapped already, but already I've labeled several gas stations and a new grocery store that doesn't show up in the satellite photos yet. It's nice to be able to contribute (in a small way) even when I can't write a line of HTML to save my life.
redshift9
Send a message

Post by porubcan
Why I spend hours by sitting in front of WME and editing?
To have Waze trusthworthy. (New) users are evaluating the "product" and comparing it to other (commercial) products (like Garmin, TomTom, Navigon, Sygic, etc.). If they find product unreliable they will quit easily, and map quality is one of most important criteria, together with quality of routing algorithm for sure. so high quality maps allows community to grow quickly and everyone would benefit from growing community (more data for reports, jams, average speeds, etc.) and also bringing more new editors on board.

I countries like ours, without basemap, so it was just blank space here, after short time first enthusiastic editors were able to put main road network and consequently improve map. so the product was ready to be used, but far away from quality of competitors, but with online traffic information. at this time many new users were confused by insufficient quality of map and left... by time passing more and more editors get involved and map quality was improving (and is still)... and resulted into community growing faster and faster.
porubcan
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... 00k_6c.pnghttps://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... onster.png
SK Country Coordinator, SK Country Manager, Global Champ, Waze Beta Tester