Level 5 assistance needed in North East Ohio

Read the forum posting instructions.

If your country has a dedicated forum for unlocks or update requests. See this thread for details first.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Forum rules
BEFORE YOU POST HERE

Read these rules:
1. Use this forum ONLY if your country does not have a Dedicated Forum for update requests.
2. Read the forum posting instructions.

Postby kuduboet » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:21 pm

Got it, thanks for the clarification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just Wazin' through life and loving it!

Area Manager for East Side of Cleveland, Ohio

Wiki Resources: Map Editing | Best Practices | Waze FAQ
kuduboet

Re: Level 5 assistance needed in North East Ohio

Postby MisterMooCow » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:54 am

kuduboet wrote:So if I understand correctly you want me to map error it when it is telling me to get back over into the local lanes when I am already in them>? Is that correct?

Yes, you got it-- when you do that, it should save your track as well as the route that waze thinks you are (or should be) on. That might give us some idea of what's up (and will give us something to forward to more knowledgeable folks for advice).

Oh, you also you might want to select wrong directions for the map error type (I'm uncertain as to whether the other selections for a map error will cause the route and track to both be saved).

kuduboet wrote:Thanks for trying to help figure this out

Thanks for your willingness to generate debugging info.
MisterMooCow

Postby kuduboet » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:35 am

photo.PNG
photo.PNG (99.92 KiB) Viewed 310 times
Okay, so I still haven't been able to capture it trying to tell me to get over into the local lanes when I am already there, but I noticed something today that seemed odd to me. Perhaps this is the resolution of the client, but see the image I took of the client and then compare to the permalink of the same area. The two inner express lanes, one going North and the other South, and then the two outer local lanes are very distinct with some decent distance between them in the WME, but on the client they appear as one big lane, with occasional small break offs. The client was zoomed in all the way, is this the lane resolution one would expect for clearly distinct segments? Just to be clear, the local lanes there are three or four of them at times and the express lanes are two, but regardless as independent segments I would expect them to be shown as such? Thanks in advance for your comments

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT

Note I was heading South in the client image so roads are reversed.

kuduboet

Postby MisterMooCow » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:53 pm

I was told at one point that the resolution of the client is significantly lower than what's visible in WME. I guess the question is how/what does it decide to render when two roads are essentially coincident. It could be that they're both actually displayed in the client but that one obscures the other.
MisterMooCow

Postby kuduboet » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:23 pm

Maybe a Waze Champ can chime in just so we know on the resolution issue. Dare I say the other map apps I have like Google, Apple, TeleNav all show the lanes as distinctly different choices so the mobile devices can handle that resolution, maybe it has to do with limited data transfer or something.

kuduboet

Postby MisterMooCow » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:33 am

What client and what settings are you using? I think I just found the area in question on my phone. I can clearly see all lanes:

image.jpg
image.jpg (88.8 KiB) Viewed 775 times
MisterMooCow

Postby kuduboet » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:56 pm

I am using an iPhone 4S with the latest version. When you say what settings, what exactly are you referring to? When I took my screenshot I was zoomed in as far as the client would let me be, navigation has show all items on, what should I be looking for? Also, the two express lanes for you still show as one fat single center lane as far as I can see. Thanks.

kuduboet

Postby MisterMooCow » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:10 pm

kuduboet wrote:When you say what settings, what exactly are you referring to?

I noticed you were in "3D" mode, so I wondered what else you might have set -- I was thinking that 2D was the default setting, but I may have set mine to that way-back-when after being annoyed by the odd perspective the 3D was giving.

kuduboet wrote:Also, the two express lanes for you still show as one fat single center lane as far as I can see. Thanks.

Note how they directional arrows appear in mine. I just checked-- that lack of arrows appears to be an artifact of the 3D setting (another reason to hate it). Plus, the segment names in 2D mode are aligned with the actual segment -- making it possible to show the name for both of the directions of the express lanes -- vs. always horizontal in 3D (I guess?) which probably also makes it difficult to display when the two lanes/roads are essentially coincident (vis-a-vis the resolution of the app).

Try a switch to 2D-- I think you'll be much happier.
MisterMooCow

Postby kuduboet » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:31 am

I'll definitely give it a try, I don't think I changed that so I think 3D is the default view. Will report back tomorrow with findings/opinion. Thanks.

kuduboet

Postby kuduboet » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:05 pm

Okay, so here is a permalink to the local lanes/express lanes issue.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... s=62300502

I was able to capture it today, finally. So south of this about 6 miles it told me to go left to get in to the express lanes but I didn't, I stayed in the local lanes. As you can see from the traces, it did identify that I stayed in the local lanes, but at this point it still told me to go right to get back into the local lanes despite the fact that I was already there.

I can ignore the incorrect instructions, my question is if I had marked a vehicle on the shoulder during this period, would it have shown and been applied to the local lanes or the express lanes? Not sure what is going on here. Thanks.

kuduboet

PreviousNext

Return to Update/Unlock requests