The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Street names (E,W,N,S) when it is not part of name

Post by Chris_CA
Looking how this should be handled or is called out in the wiki somewhere.
Probably been discussed previously but...

Many places on the WAZE map have E,W,N,S in front of the street name even though it is not part of the street name. It is simply the address location of the street (east vs. west, north vs south).

When navigating, Waze tells you to turn onto north/south/east/west XXX street when there is nothing to indicate A street named this.

Example here - Academy Boulevard on Colorado Springs, CO.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... ts=8586615

There are no street signs labeled North Academy Blvd, nothing in Colorado Springs street department or planning commission or GIS maps or post office.
Nothing anywhere indicates the name is North (or south) Academy Boulevard.

Another example in downtown Salt Lake City.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT

There is no street named W South Temple St or S 300 W or W 100 S.
The names are simply South Temple St, 300 W, 100 S, BUT Waze tells user to turn left onto South 300 West and the only signs are for 300 West

Went to Utah this week and it was a small bit of confusion at first but simply had to to ignore part of what Waze was telling me to do.
Not very helpful if someone drive around looking for the street name Waze is calling out.
Chris_CA
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:10960558

Send a message

Post by bgodette
Chris_CA wrote:Example here - Academy Boulevard on Colorado Springs, CO.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... ts=8586615

There are no street signs labeled North Academy Blvd, nothing in Colorado Springs street department or planning commission or GIS maps or post office.
Nothing anywhere indicates the name is North (or south) Academy Boulevard.
CDOT GIS has it as N and S Academy Blvd in one source, but unmarked in another, TIGER likely has it as N & S.

It looks like all the new signage excludes this, as well as a significant amount of them not including block numbers (even more unhelpful), and a large proportion also dropping the Blvd. Nothing much can be done about a city being cheap on signage for local roads to save a few bucks.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
Chris_CA wrote:-> http://www.springsgov.com/Page.aspx?NavID=514
Academy is the street name. Not north or south. North/south is the addresses/location on the street.
Powers Blvd is 00 so generally, addresses are north/south based on this.
??? The linked PDF off that page clearly shows Academy being N/S.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
Chris_CA wrote:Looking at West Point Road (in CS) why isn't there a W in the first column and the street name only Point?
Same as South Club, South Forty, South Park and a few others?
Because they're all proper names?
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
Chris_CA wrote:
bgodette wrote:
Chris_CA wrote:Looking at West Point Road (in CS) why isn't there a W in the first column and the street name only Point?
Same as South Club, South Forty, South Park and a few others?
Because they're all proper names?
Exactly!
And N/S in Academy is simply which side of 000 they are on. They are part of an address and not part of the actual street name.
You're still not getting it. The reason proper names that include compass points are in the StreetName column instead of the unnamed compass point column of that pdf is because they're proper names. The unnamed column for the compass points are still part of the official street name.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
Chris_CA wrote:So I'm guessing that there are no official Waze "rules" on how to use street names & modifiers?
There are no official Waze rules because this is something that's consistent across all 50 states and the provinces.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
Chris_CA wrote:I don't see any consistency.
And you even noted Academy is different in two different sources.
Only because Colorado Springs is being cheap on their signage.
Chris_CA wrote:Salt Lake City GIS/assessor info at http://maps.slco.org/website/assessor/p ... viewer.htm
The streets are 300 N, 400 N, 1000 W, 800 W.
In Waze they are W 300 N, W 400 N, S 1000 W, S 800 W.
As I am not from SLC, I don't have a clue what n/s/e/w streets are if that is not the name.
SLC Utah, if I recall correctly, works on a numbered grid originating at Temple Square here. This first compass direction is the relation to the origin (S Temple and Main St), the second (the one on the end), is either N/S for E/W running roads North or South of S Temple, and E/W for N/S runnign roads that are E/W of Main St.

So W 400 N would be 4 blocks north of S Temple St, and west of Main St. So a street address of 1234 W 400 N, would be between N 1200 W and N 1300 W on an E/W running road likely signed simply as 400 N. All very easy, and most of the named streets also have a grid name and are usually on the signage as well.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
Chris_CA wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:It makes much more sense than towns that have the N and S streets parallel to each other on opposite sides of town.
Yes it does.

"Go east on west 300 north to south 400 east and then go north to east 600 north" (or something like this)... :lol:
That intersection cannot exist in any standard ordinal grid system. That's like saying head east on W 3rd St (W 300 N) (numeric e/w are north of origin in almost every city in the US) to S Dover St (S 400 E) and somehow magically be transported at least 4 blocks south.

All this stuff mattered in the before time pre GPS and MapQuest, when you actually had to find an address with just the address and the street signs.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
Chris_CA wrote:
bgodette wrote:
Chris_CA wrote:"Go east on west 300 north to south 400 east and then go north to east 600 north" (or something like this)... :lol:
That intersection cannot exist in any standard ordinal grid system.
It was a joke. :roll:
I didn't look up an actual route but one could come up with a correct route with similar (meaning not exact) with a bunch (more than one) of n/s/e/w used.
I don't see how you're confused by E/W 300 N and N/S 400 E but are ok with E/W 3rd St and N/S Delaware Ave.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Chris_CA
Just posting this topic for discussion...

With Academy Blvd (and the other streets I mentioned and zillions of others), N/S/E/W is part of the address but not part of the actual street name.
N/S/E/W helps to narrow/differentiate to an address. It is usually an adjective, not a noun but everyone uses it as part of the name.
HuHot is on Academy Blvd at 7790 north. It is not on North Academy Blvd at 7790.

My guess is this probably the easiest way to get the location (n/s/e/w) as part of an address.
If someone said to go to 7790 Academy Blvd, the first thing they would need to know is north or south...

I was initially a bit confused when Waze said "turn left on West 100 South" when the sign is (and all signs are) "100 South".
It did this everywhere else except for a few streets that were labeled "correctly" (Waze name matched street signs).
It's odd that these aren't on the street signs since addresses usually start at 100 and run outwards from where the S and N streets meet.
Because street signs are actual street names and sometimes with an address (such as 8800 west).
None/very, very few of the street signs in Colorado Springs, Ogden or SLC are labeled with N/S/E/W
Chris_CA
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message