Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Eketahuna, Primary Rd problem?!?

Post by finshona
Hi

https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&l ... =187623818

The bing is old, maybe. There are no gps tracks. The on the road image, that shall remain nameless, shows the road as a gravel road.

Koordinates shows this stretch of road as being the primary road with it running down Stanly St then turning onto Septimus St, the gravel road. AA maps shows the primary continuing on Bridge St and down High St where it joins Septimus St.

I live in Auckland I drove through Eketahuna a couple of weeks ago on a trip to Wellington, I didn't leave SH2 so am unsure which is correct. I am editing Eketahuna as the creator of all the roads in Eketahuna had left them one way, unnamed and with turn restrictions left on. Standard stuff for that editor I know. Old dogs and all that. I'm tidy by nature so have a compulsion to fix things and do them right. In this case I am uncertain what is right.

Is there an editor who lives within cooee of Eketahuna that would like/be able to take a drive or knows the roads and area who can check if the road is correct the way I have done it?

In the mean time I'll carry on making Eketahuna navigable and routable to the best of my ability.
finshona

POSTER_ID:4759127

Send a message

Post by finshona
Thank you Jimmykip. Thats brilliant.
finshona
Send a message

Post by finshona
I came up South Rd - which you might want to consider making a dirt track as its a narrow single laned gravel road, rougher than most.
The old dirt track is a tricky one, my memory isn't great but I may have read somewhere in the forums that the consensus opinion is that our gravel roads in NZ are drivable by a car in most cases. Having said that you have just driven it and clearly it is rough at that far end (SH2 end of South Rd) so I have left either end where it joins the main road with a street rating for a few hundred meters, then changed it to the dirt track for the middle portion of the road. This means it will show on the map when you are driving along SH2 and also at the other end where it joins Parkview Central Rd, but Waze shouldn't route you along that road as a shortcut to Eketahuna.

Is this acceptable? Other editors are welcome to add their opinions :)
finshona
Send a message

Post by finshona
My bad memory sucks, there are 2 South Rd's in Eketahuna, one is a primary road and one is a street. Help JimmyKip which one did you drive down? :lol:
finshona
Send a message

Post by finshona
Ok the other one is a tarsealed road, so I'm guessing I edited the right one. 8-)
finshona
Send a message

Post by ispyisail
In the mean time I'll carry on making Eketahuna navigable and routable to the best of my ability.
Thanks
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by ispyisail
The old dirt track is a tricky one
agreed

I've gone full circle on this one.

My current status is if you can drive a passenger car down it, its a "Street".

No gravel road should ever be a "primary street"

Use 4x4 only when a 4x4 is required.
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by ispyisail
JimmyKip wrote:I usually agree with the gravel road = street theory, as many are well maintained, easily fit 2 cars abreast & you can travel at reasonably high speed. I like the way you've addressed this one though as it was much narrower, and traction was a problem. Don't know if my GPS track shows or not but I doubt I got over 50km/h!
None of the gravel roads around my area fit 2 cars abreast. Rule of thumb with gravel roads is you drive down the centre then both cars slow down pull over to pass each other. Im going to suggest that 50km would not be an ureasombale average for many gravel roads.
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by JimmyKip
Will be driving through there today but it might take a local to know for sure what's primary and what's just normal.
JimmyKip
Send a message

Post by JimmyKip
Ok I think you've got it right, I came up South Rd - which you might want to consider making a dirt track as its a narrow single laned gravel road, rougher than most.

All the yellow AA Signs matched how you've done it too, so Septimus, 1/2 of High st, bridge st to SH2 is primary.
JimmyKip
Send a message