The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by Chris_CA
-> http://www.springsgov.com/Page.aspx?NavID=514
Academy is the street name. Not north or south. North/south is the addresses/location on the street.
Powers Blvd is 00 so generally, addresses are north/south based on this.

If the standard for Waze is to use n/s/e/w, even if it is not part of the street name, fine.
Is this documented anywhere?
Chris_CA
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Chris_CA
bgodette wrote:??? The linked PDF off that page clearly shows Academy being N/S.
Okay.
Looking at West Point Road (in CS) why isn't there a W in the first column and the street name only Point?
Same as South Club, South Forty, South Park and a few others?

At http://dtdapps.coloradodot.info/Otis/Flex/MapView, it is listed as "Academy Bd".

Back to my original questions, is it documented somewhere (for Waze) how/when use modifiers in street names?
Chris_CA
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Last edited by Chris_CA on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Chris_CA
gettingthere wrote:The reason for this is due to the way the road network grew years ago. The street addresses start at 0 or 100 and increment in one direction. Then there is a need to extend the road in the other direction but they don't want to re-number every home and business. So they start up a 'new' road heading the other direction and make it North Academy Ave one direction and South Academy Ave in the other direction. Generally where they meet the addressing starts at 0 or 100 and increments heading away from the intersection.
So you are suggesting at some point, the road was named "Academy Blvd" and it was changed to "North Academy Blvd" and they also created a new street named "South Academy Blvd"?
Chris_CA
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Chris_CA
bgodette wrote:
Chris_CA wrote:Looking at West Point Road (in CS) why isn't there a W in the first column and the street name only Point?
Same as South Club, South Forty, South Park and a few others?
Because they're all proper names?
Exactly!
And N/S in Academy is simply which side of 000 they are on. They are part of an address and not part of the actual street name.

So I'm guessing that there are no official Waze "rules" on how to use street names & modifiers?
Just use whatever works best?
Chris_CA
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Chris_CA
So there really is no where (wiki or something) that naming of streets in Waze is documented?
If it looks like it's n/s/e/w or is commonly used, that simply gets added to the name?

Where do we get the street names to use?
Where are you getting this from?
http://www.springsgov.com/Page.aspx?NavID=514
and
http://dtdapps.coloradodot.info/Otis/Flex/MapView
(right click - open the screen shot in new window to see the right side)
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m242 ... 1832c2.jpg
Just because the municipality was too cheap to get properly made signs doesn't change the name of the street
Street signs are only one indicator.
The N and S are part of the street name
I ask the same. Where did you get this?
Chris_CA
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Chris_CA
You're still not getting it.
Hence my posts here.
Really, I'm not thick (to use an English colloquialism). Just looking for some guidance.
bgodette wrote:There are no official Waze rules because this is something that's consistent across all 50 states and the provinces.
I don't see any consistency.
And you even noted Academy is different in two different sources.

Salt Lake City GIS/assessor info at http://maps.slco.org/website/assessor/p ... viewer.htm
The streets are 300 N, 400 N, 1000 W, 800 W.
In Waze they are W 300 N, W 400 N, S 1000 W, S 800 W.
As I am not from SLC, I don't have a clue what n/s/e/w streets are if that is not the name.
When Waze tells me to turn left at W 300 N, I take an educated guess that I should turn left on 300 N because I am physically located at a street sign that states 300 N.
The unnamed column for the compass points are still part of the official street name.
This makes sense if everyone does this.
So the (unwritten) rule is, if it's n/s/e/w of the "main" street, we simply add n/s/e/w?
Chris_CA
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Chris_CA
bgodette wrote:Only because Colorado Springs is being cheap on their signage.
As is SLC, Ogden and every town in between?
If you were mapping these roads from scratch, and all you had to go by was the GIS maps and the street signs, you wouldn't put a direction in. However, since these are from the basemap, there's no need to change them.
Okay. This makes sense. I can see the usefulness in having it there.
I wouldn't think of changing something like this just to change it but just looking for some type of guidance/consistency.
I was initially a bit confused when I was driving and Waze told me to turn left on north 300 west. I thought maybe Waze was incorrect and the previous/next street was north 300 W.

Some of the streets in SLC in Waze are labeled 300 N (only as an example) but most seem to be labeled W 400 N (only as an example).
Chris_CA
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Last edited by Chris_CA on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Chris_CA
jasonh300 wrote:It makes much more sense than towns that have the N and S streets parallel to each other on opposite sides of town.
Yes it does.

"Go east on west 300 north to south 400 east and then go north to east 600 north" (or something like this)... :lol:
Chris_CA
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Chris_CA
bgodette wrote:
Chris_CA wrote:"Go east on west 300 north to south 400 east and then go north to east 600 north" (or something like this)... :lol:
That intersection cannot exist in any standard ordinal grid system.
It was a joke. :roll:
I didn't look up an actual route but one could come up with a correct route with similar (meaning not exact) with a bunch (more than one) of n/s/e/w used.
Chris_CA
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Chris_CA
bgodette wrote:I don't see how you're confused by E/W 300 N and N/S 400 E but are ok with E/W 3rd St and N/S Delaware Ave.
I'm not confused which is why I wrote, "I was initially a bit confused".
North 300 East street is a bit different than North 3rd street.

Sorry to have bothered you all while seeking some simple advice.
Later...
:?
Chris_CA
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message