Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Entering City Names (as single letter)

Post by orbitc
I noticed that there a lot of city entered as a single letter (digit) name. I've done it myself. :shock: Obviously, this happens when we choose the city name from a drop down menu. Unfortunately, it doesn't work as well. We should really pay attention, and let others more aware.

Solution:
Is it possible to force a minimum 2 digit limit to the City Name area? This will warn the editor if it's only a letter entered. This might not solve the issue but eliminate majority of them.

Thanks.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

POSTER_ID:8359316

Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
There is a bug in WME where some browsers do not allow selection from the multi-select box using the mouse. Only Enter works. I think Chrome on Mac has this problem.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by jasonh300
orbitc wrote:I noticed that there a lot of city entered as a single letter (digit) name. I've done it myself. :shock: Obviously, this happens when we choose the city name from a drop down menu. Unfortunately, it doesn't work as well. We should really pay attention, and let others more aware.

Solution:
Is it possible to force a minimum 2 digit limit to the City Name area? This will warn the editor if it's only a letter entered. This might not solve the issue but eliminate majority of them.

Thanks.
This has been an issue lately due to the unreliability of the auto-fill on the City names. We've requested that the developers disallow the use of one-letter city names, but haven't heard anything back from them yet about it.

Everyone has been making an effort to remove those and other smudges, so if you see them, be sure to fix them.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by orbitc
jasonh300 wrote:
orbitc wrote:I noticed that there a lot of city entered as a single letter (digit) name. I've done it myself. :shock: Obviously, this happens when we choose the city name from a drop down menu. Unfortunately, it doesn't work as well. We should really pay attention, and let others more aware.

Solution:

Thanks.
This has been an issue lately due to the unreliability of the auto-fill on the City names. We've requested that the developers disallow the use of one-letter city names, but haven't heard anything back from them yet about it.

Everyone has been making an effort to remove those and other smudges, so if you see them, be sure to fix them.
Thanks for the update Jason. As always, I'll continue to correct when ever I see one. I'm sure other editors will do the same.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!

Post by Scorp42
I use chrome on Mac, and can enter cities fine (or select from th dropdown) so it must be some other combo

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Scorp42
Send a message
iPhone 4 (AT&T GSM)
iOS 6.0.1 - nonjailbroken
Waze - 3.5.1.998

Post by txemt
I JUST cleared out a lingering "O" near Odessa, Tx, then I accidentally left a hanging "G" somewhere else in Texas about...10 minutes later. I wasn't paying attention when I hit ENTER, that the city name hadn't caught with the "fill in typing" as I was typing. I'm sure that's how 95% of these happen.
txemt
Send a message
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.

Post by txemt
But I'm trying to spell something in the editor.
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
davesax1 wrote:RE city names:
keep city name a separate field and enter it first. allow entry of zip code instead. then as u type address pull up history.

Just got a questionnaire from Waze. It was lame. Always need a comment field in questionnaires.
I don't think that's going to work. Zip codes in the middle of nowhere still have a city/town attached to them, thus creating a city limit zone that is technically inaccurate. If you leave the city field blank, then the city limit zones will stay where they are and be more accurate about what town a Wazer is in.
txemt
Send a message