Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Avoiding Guidance Prompt on a Highway-Freeway Connection

Post by hmarian
Hello Wazers,

Is there a way to manipulate a connection of a Minor Highway and Freeway from generating a guidence prompt by Waze?

Cheers,
Hagay.
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1

POSTER_ID:170262

Send a message

Device: Samsung Galaxy S20+
Waze Version: 4.90.90.901
Country Manager: Canada
Area Manager: Greater Toronto Area, Buffalo (NY), Binyamina (Israel)
Android/WME Beta Tester
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editing Manual | Editing Best Practice | @Waze_Canada

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
AndyPoms wrote:Waze does not currently prompt at all for straight through instructions, it doesn't matter if the road changes name, type, etc.
I've posted this many times, but there is an exception to this rule. If all 3 segments at a Y are the same name and type, you should get a prompt for both left/right even if one is straight ahead. There may be more details as to certain road types which do this. But I know for a fact that this route gives a 'stay to the left' for a perfectly straight connection.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
Please post a Permalink so we can look at the area. Also, please tell us exactly which prompts you are trying to suppress & why.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
Waze does not currently prompt at all for straight through instructions, it doesn't matter if the road changes name, type, etc.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by crazed_out
I believe you are correct Alan. I've seen this on roads close to my home as well. Seems that this has been changing back and fourth though. Sometimes there is a prompt and somtimes not. Since the 3.5 version there is a prompt.

Cheers
Anders
crazed_out
Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
Also I believe ramp types will always give a stay to the left when there's a split, even if one just goes straight ahead. I don't believe it used to in the past, but does now.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by hmarian
Spil wrote:As long as it's a straight (or nearly straight) connection through the junction and both segments are named the same, there should be no TTS announcement , even if there is a change between types.
This is a theoretical question of a situation I came across, but can't remember where.

If the two segments are connecting straight up, but their names are different, if you add a small Minor Highway connector between the two that go straight and carry the same name as the Freeway, is it possible that the TTS will not announce the Minor Highway to Minor Highway Connection and the following Minor Highway to Freeway Connection?

The following will illustrate this:

Segment 1, Minor Highway, Name A >> Segment 2, Minor Highway, Name B >> Segment 3, Freeway, Name B

All connections above are going straight.

Any idea if this will work?

Cheers,
Hagay.
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Android/WME Beta Tester
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by hmarian
Yes. Exactly.
Will it work, the way I illustrated above?

Hagay.
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Android/WME Beta Tester

Post by hmarian
I have tested and can confirm that the following will not generate a turn prompt:

Segment 1, Minor Highway, Name A >> Segment 2, Minor Highway, Name B >> Segment 3, Freeway, Name B

Cheers,
Hagay.
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Android/WME Beta Tester

Post by Jpere
hmarian wrote:
Spil wrote:As long as it's a straight (or nearly straight) connection through the junction and both segments are named the same, there should be no TTS announcement , even if there is a change between types.
This is a theoretical question of a situation I came across, but can't remember where.

If the two segments are connecting straight up, but their names are different, if you add a small Minor Highway connector between the two that go straight and carry the same name as the Freeway, is it possible that the TTS will not announce the Minor Highway to Minor Highway Connection and the following Minor Highway to Freeway Connection?

The following will illustrate this:

All connections above are going straight.

Any idea if this will work?

Cheers,
Hagay.
So you're trying to prevent TTS instructions on a road that converts into a Freeway?
Jpere
Send a message