The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by jasonh300
CBenson wrote:There are also quite a few where I can't make heads nor tails about what the green line is representing.
Greenroute.jpg
Your green line is probably taking an average between Dock and Compromise. Something that was supposed to be tuned out of the MP routing a year ago.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Your best resource is an interactive GIS map that has City and Census Designated Places (CDP) layers. Government issued maps are always going to be the most accurate, and legal to use as a source. Google, Bing and Mapquest are copyrighted and not valid sources.

In some places, nobody uses those CDP names, and they really shouldn't be on the map, but they're still going to show the error bubbles if you remove them.

Forget Zip Code maps. The USPS has consolidated so many towns and small cities into the nearest large city, they'll be useless.

Most of these that I've seen were caused by people adding city names outside of the city limits, where the No City box should be checked.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
What people are using for navigation is not relevant to the city layer in the WME editor. Lookups come from Bing, which returns latitude and longitude. Waze then routes you to those coordinates.

The reason for the city layer is to have accurate polygons to the city limits or edges of the CDPs.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
skapur1 wrote:Would it not be simpler not have "city" at all in Waze for the United States but just import it from the US Census GIS (which is publicly downloadable)?

If "accurate polygons" is the only reason to update city information and they are not used for anything practical in Waze, why have them and why should any one bother updating city information or putting correct information in it all? ever? And why does Waze care?
Yes, it would be much simpler. Unfortunately, that's not how the system works. :cry:
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Remember this is a GPS app for drivers, not for mailing letters. Zip codes are useless to drivers, especially if they're not local to the area.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
And we still have editors who are using this outdated data as an excuse to complicate simple intersections and further damage the maps. I wish they'd just do away with most of the MPs.

iOS Tapatalk 2 sucks.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jemay
Another back-end script must have run again. I guess I need to stop reading and get to resolving...
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
:arrow: PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

Android & Carplay - Verizon

Post by jemay
The problems are from old data, I changed a segment (and node) back in "Updated: November 20, 2012" and the purple route shows the old node location for the turn. What a shame, this will cause several changes from old date that is not required.
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

Post by jemay
I have the same problem, so to get around that I mark it solved, then find a node that needs fixed (removing soft turns...), then the save icon will work.
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jemay
The sea of orange is back.... But they appear and then disappear and several screens refresh reappear. Has anybody else noticed this also this morning?

A lot of them are "Turn Problem: The displayed route is frequently not taken by users"
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message