Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Road signs in navigation

Post by crazed_out
I've been thinking about this for a while. It would be nice to get an indication of what the road signs should say when approaching a turn in the route. I know it's not possible to add this kind of information in the editor at this point, but I have a suggestion:

Why not make the road sign information available as an attribute to the junction arrow. That way it should be possible to assign road sign information where it should be. And the client will of course read this attribute if existing and present it to the driver instead of the name of the road segment I'am turning on to. Some roads don't have names but lead to places that are mentioned on the sign in the junction.

That way we could have sign information where it is applicable and streetnames in cities for example. In Sweden almost all roads have a number, but that number doesn't neccesarily give any information about where the road takes me. Enabling it in this fashion would also allow for exit sign information i roundabouts. Just a thought, it would be much appreciated by me and probably a couple more users.

Thank you for considering this. I can develop my thoughts further if needed.
And thank you for providing us with such a great navigator app.

Cheers
Anders
crazed_out

POSTER_ID:5562992

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I get what you are saying and it is a decent idea. Unsure how Waze would implement it, but that's not for us to worry about. We just come up with the ideas!

In circumstances involving roads which split, and freeway/highway on- and off-ramps, for example, we already do name the segment to match the road signage, at least in the US. I'm not sure how other countries do it. But this is limited and there are many other instances of junctions not involving ramps which do have what we call "pathfinder" signs which we don't currently have a good method for getting into Waze to assist with driving. It wouldn't be correct to rename part of a segment at a junction just to include this info. We would need a better way.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by crazed_out
My point exactly AlanOfTheBerg. We name the ramps according to the Orientation signs at the freeways, but there are a lot of other roadtypes out there. Most of the time it's more important to know what sign to look for when your out driving in the countryside looking for a small road in the middle of nowhere.

And as I suggest it, it won't be a mandatory attribute, but a volontary one. Use it when appropriate kind of thing. I think it would be helpful. Not only because of ease in navigation, but also because sometimes when you make a turn it may say some roadname three or four turns forward because of noname roads getting there. And that is just confusing...
crazed_out
Send a message