Target input by coordinates

Post by sejtam
It would really be useful in some cases if one could enter a location 'Drive to' by coordinates (in any of the common formats like
Decimal Degrees: N 89.99999 E 179.9999
Decimal Minutes: N 89 59.9999 E 179 59.9999
Decimal Seconds: N 89 59 59.99 E 179 59 59.99

(all using the WGS82 datum)

Waze could then locate the nearest street/access and drive there.

A second request: The ability to store special waypoints that are shown and available as locations to drive to. I am particularly interested in some form of GPX format to show geocaches (and their additional waypoints like parking locations). The ability to store a GPX file generated from a geocaching.com pocketquery (or exported out of GSAK) would be very much appreciated.
If waze could also use the standard icons for this, even better
sejtam

POSTER_ID:1235067

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
This has been posted in the FAQ for quite some time now.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sejtam wrote:Be stringent in what you send/emit, be flexible in what you accept.
I'd rather real problems be fixed than devs spending on a mostly non-issue. "Flexible"? Passwords should only have to mostly match, too....

iOS and Tapatalk have conspired to screw up this post.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by nblasgen
Just to correct what a previous poster said:

longitude, latitude

It's the opposite order that Google Maps uses and the opposite order that the other poster said.
nblasgen
Send a message

Post by sejtam
Sorry. just saw the 'thoughts ...' subboard. Can a mod please move this thread there? Thx
sejtam
Send a message

Post by sejtam
Hmm. I just tried that and it crashed my Android (Dell Streak 5, running StreakDroid 1.8.1, ie Froyo)

I then tried the exact same coords you showed, and all it showed me was the pin in an empty map (likely because i don't have that maptile loaded... myself living far from there.
When I entered something nearer to my home (1.23,103.5), all I was shown is a blank white map, nt even the pin.. I hve been waiting now for nearly 10 minutes on that. waze does have network connectivity, just no good gps indoors)

Also, as a geocacher, I am much more familiar with the other notations I gave (esp Decimal Minutes) and this they are preferred. converting them in the head is nigh impossible...

Here is another request:
non-driving mode (ie, online, all map functions, but it should not think that I am driving, just playing with it,
sejtam
Send a message

Post by sejtam
The way to input coordinates is still to esoteric. Common formats that one can actually understand like
N 1 3.34 E 44 50.66 (decimal minutes)
Etc would be much more userfriendly..

And requiring longitude before latitude us really strange as it's a rare way to state coordinates. At least in the format I gave above it's clear what is what. A GPS app should require to convert coordinates before entry but accept common formats with flexibility.

Be stringent in what you send/emit, be flexible in what you accept.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
sejtam
Send a message

Post by sejtam
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
sejtam wrote:Be stringent in what you send/emit, be flexible in what you accept.
I'd rather real problems be fixed than devs spending on a mostly non-issue. "Flexible"? Passwords should only have to mostly match, too....
Sorry, but what a silly answer (on passwords).

And it really is a problem that coordinates are required in a most uncommon format. When I get a location expressed in a common coordinate format, I don't want to have spend time and resources to convert it to waze's arcane uncommon format to use it. I should be able to just paste it in. When on the road (which is when need this) I don't need to have things as uncomfortable as possible.quite the opposite.
sejtam
Send a message

Post by sejtam
More: would you consider it a non-Issue to, if to search for an address you had to enter a street name exactly, possibly in only one spelling in a foreign language?

What if waze's search did not accept 'Boulevard Rene Levesque' (Montreal) but insisted that you enter the name with all accents: René Lévesque

Requiring an arcane coordinate format is comparable
sejtam
Send a message

Post by Timbones
You can enter latitude, longitude. For example: 51.63025,-0.75326.

You'll then see the name of the closest roads, and view them on the map or drive to them.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries