Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Target input by coordinates

Post by sejtam
It would really be useful in some cases if one could enter a location 'Drive to' by coordinates (in any of the common formats like
Decimal Degrees: N 89.99999 E 179.9999
Decimal Minutes: N 89 59.9999 E 179 59.9999
Decimal Seconds: N 89 59 59.99 E 179 59 59.99

(all using the WGS82 datum)

Waze could then locate the nearest street/access and drive there.

A second request: The ability to store special waypoints that are shown and available as locations to drive to. I am particularly interested in some form of GPX format to show geocaches (and their additional waypoints like parking locations). The ability to store a GPX file generated from a geocaching.com pocketquery (or exported out of GSAK) would be very much appreciated.
If waze could also use the standard icons for this, even better
sejtam

POSTER_ID:1235067

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
This has been posted in the FAQ for quite some time now.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sejtam wrote:Be stringent in what you send/emit, be flexible in what you accept.
I'd rather real problems be fixed than devs spending on a mostly non-issue. "Flexible"? Passwords should only have to mostly match, too....

iOS and Tapatalk have conspired to screw up this post.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by nblasgen
Just to correct what a previous poster said:

longitude, latitude

It's the opposite order that Google Maps uses and the opposite order that the other poster said.
nblasgen
Send a message

Post by sejtam
Sorry. just saw the 'thoughts ...' subboard. Can a mod please move this thread there? Thx
sejtam
Send a message

Post by sejtam
Hmm. I just tried that and it crashed my Android (Dell Streak 5, running StreakDroid 1.8.1, ie Froyo)

I then tried the exact same coords you showed, and all it showed me was the pin in an empty map (likely because i don't have that maptile loaded... myself living far from there.
When I entered something nearer to my home (1.23,103.5), all I was shown is a blank white map, nt even the pin.. I hve been waiting now for nearly 10 minutes on that. waze does have network connectivity, just no good gps indoors)

Also, as a geocacher, I am much more familiar with the other notations I gave (esp Decimal Minutes) and this they are preferred. converting them in the head is nigh impossible...

Here is another request:
non-driving mode (ie, online, all map functions, but it should not think that I am driving, just playing with it,
sejtam
Send a message

Post by sejtam
The way to input coordinates is still to esoteric. Common formats that one can actually understand like
N 1 3.34 E 44 50.66 (decimal minutes)
Etc would be much more userfriendly..

And requiring longitude before latitude us really strange as it's a rare way to state coordinates. At least in the format I gave above it's clear what is what. A GPS app should require to convert coordinates before entry but accept common formats with flexibility.

Be stringent in what you send/emit, be flexible in what you accept.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
sejtam
Send a message

Post by sejtam
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
sejtam wrote:Be stringent in what you send/emit, be flexible in what you accept.
I'd rather real problems be fixed than devs spending on a mostly non-issue. "Flexible"? Passwords should only have to mostly match, too....
Sorry, but what a silly answer (on passwords).

And it really is a problem that coordinates are required in a most uncommon format. When I get a location expressed in a common coordinate format, I don't want to have spend time and resources to convert it to waze's arcane uncommon format to use it. I should be able to just paste it in. When on the road (which is when need this) I don't need to have things as uncomfortable as possible.quite the opposite.
sejtam
Send a message

Post by sejtam
More: would you consider it a non-Issue to, if to search for an address you had to enter a street name exactly, possibly in only one spelling in a foreign language?

What if waze's search did not accept 'Boulevard Rene Levesque' (Montreal) but insisted that you enter the name with all accents: René Lévesque

Requiring an arcane coordinate format is comparable
sejtam
Send a message

Post by Timbones
You can enter latitude, longitude. For example: 51.63025,-0.75326.

You'll then see the name of the closest roads, and view them on the map or drive to them.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries