Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Long Distance Routing

Post by the1who
I have noticed this through several app cycles, beta and play store. I am not sure if this happens exclusively to Android or iOS either. But I see it is affecting others. I remember I never had this issue in previous versions, so I assume it is the client version. On long stretches of freeway, the client reports a reroute or recalculation and when it gets the new route, it keeps recalculating until you get to say the next exit ramp junction, is the best way I can describe it. The long stretches of freeway segments keep telling you to go to highlighted route. And even when you do get to it, it keeps up this behavior of a recalculation or so and then proceed to highlighted route. The GPS remained constant and I was not drifting off, as I have seen in comparison when I have drifted off course, so I get that. But I am seeing reports from others. I don't see a rhyme or reason in the WME. The problem corrects itself when you get in more urbanized areas where there are more junctions between. Am I to start adding junctions sporadically to circumvent this problem? Please tell me I and a select few aren't the only ones experiencing this? Thanks!
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

POSTER_ID:872208

Send a message
Global and US Champ, USA PLN A/RC Emeritus, Nevada State Manager and US Country Manager
Android Beta Leader
Direct E-mail: vegas.waze@gmail.com

Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra - 14.0 | Waze 4.99

Post by whitevango
Didn't long distance routing work at some point in the past? I just tried a 243 mile trip and the routing server continued to time-out until I think I got under the 200 mile mark. I thought I was able to do this in the past. If this is the case, wouldn't it be better to inform the user that the trip is too long to route instead of a false indication of network trouble.

In this case, I simply used Apple's Maps (which calculated properly) for the turn by turn voice in the background and had Waze in the foreground to report hazards until my distance was within range to successfully calculate the trip. I still kept Waze muted. I like Apple's voice notifications better.
whitevango
Send a message

Post by the1who
Here is a brand new report from yesterday. Same issue it seems, different location. The only thing I have edited in this area was the rev connections, same as other report I shared. I don't know how much of an impact that has, but we'll see. Since I am going through this whole stretch, and I have travels along here soon, we'll see if these node updates have an impact or not. I feel a 20% chance it fixes it, with 80% it doesn't.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT

These two error reports I'll assume is from the same user, but clearly there is a problem when the one report he says it keeps telling him to proceed to highlighted route.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Global and US Champ, USA PLN A/RC Emeritus, Nevada State Manager and US Country Manager
Android Beta Leader

Post by the1who
Here is another example, the user reporting "the directions keep resetting saying "proceed to highlighted route" is the road not connected?" on Dec 1. This segment does have a reverse connection, but how much does that really play a part?

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT

But that segment is 12186 meters, or 7.57 miles in length too.
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Android Beta Leader

Post by the1who
Here is the segment that is in the screenshot that I have issues with initially on the way up, there was another one on the way back but I am not sure which one that is just yet...anyways, here it is, 8875 meters, or 5.51 miles, in length. I, thanks to someone else, used WME Color Highlights extension just now to verify any issues with the nodes, none are noted, no reverse connections etc. Prior to the recalculating issue and proceed to highlighted route, the route did start from my current location, all the way to my destination in Des Moines with the magenta line, it is when this occurs that it stops some distance out in front, maybe on the map tile edge, just speculation there but most logical answer at moment.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-94.28 ... s=62323594
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Android Beta Leader

Post by the1who
As far as long distance routing, and before the thread gets off on the wrong foot. I get it and understand what you mean, however that is not at all what I am referring to in my problem that I am trying to report and share. See, I am well below 200 miles left. In that, it is approx. 200 miles between Des Moines and KC anyways. So we are under the known limit. But what is unknown is the true limit in the NA server. I can right now get a route from here in KC to Surprise, AZ, 1500 miles on my phone right now, door to door, turn by turn. It isn't the most optimum route, but for this setup, it sure is one nice option if I ever planned to make that trek. I understand that in the world server there are limits of 200 miles for routing, but I distinctly remember that they raised that here in the NA server.

So I don't want this thread to get hung up on that thought process. What the true problem is, is that there seems to be a problem with the routing server and the device when they communicate with each other, something I don't know. My best assumption is that the tiles as you go along and are reporting back to Waze aren't matching completely, hence why the magenta route line ends shortly before me approaching it, and doesn't continue on the remaining 140 miles.

Also, in my observations of this since the latest versions through beta and market versions, it only seems to occur on long stretches of freeway, where there are minimal junctions/nodes and there is substantial distances between the next node/ramps. Case in point is on a similar distanced trek, but I took it across the back country highways through Missouri. Yeah, there were some errors along the way, I planned weeks before, checking routing, and updating the map along the route I was going to take. The map updated with all of the correct routing, but it wanted to take a route it thought was faster until I hit a point that it just continued on the way that it should. I get that. But I have trekked I-35 plenty with Waze and it has only been happening like the screenshots as of recent with the recent betas etc. It wasn't that way in 3.0 or 2.4 on and on.

I'm just making the observation that along the long stretch, I see this problem with the proceed to highlighted route, the thing kept recalculating every time I hit the end of the magenta line and then proceed to highlighted route. On my trek with the back country, it would take me to the next junction and try to have me go the other way until like I said, I reached a point and it said this way actually is faster and then it routed me on a continual path. I even had loss of cellular service, but because I had a route already on there and no breaks in the magenta line, I was able to navigate with it just fine. If anyone knows State Hwy 7 in Missouri, you should know what I mean between Harrisonville and Osage Beach. So again, logic has it, two scenarios, similar distances, different layouts. One with many junctions, one with very few. The one with very few is causing me problems. And by the looks of it and all the user reports along the freeways, I'm not the only one...
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Android Beta Leader

Post by the1who
I don't know if something is going on with the forums either, but I had a reply all typed up, and then when I hit submit it asked me to log-in and then I lost everything I had...ugh tonight is not the night....

So I have screenshots, simple as that. Second, I agree about the missing map tiles at different zoom levels. I have three pictures to present here. The first picture is when the recalculation started...second is an image about a minute or so later, showing me on the route, but if you look closely enough, you'll see that the directions even though they say how far and when, don't visually match, it ends within like a mile in front of me. So the next minute or two, I get another recalculation with proceed to highlighted route again. At this point, the route is beyond my screenshot at the moment. You can see that I am zooming along and all, but until it gets to that highlighted route, it stays zoomed in. But it was there.

So this continues on and on and on. I eventually stopped nav and waited until I got closer to Des Moines and vice versa to Kansas City as it did it on the way back too, same scenarios. When there were more junctions, it seemed to work better, but then again I think Alan hit it right on the head, they don't have all the map tiles working together, or something.

Thanks for that Alan, I forgot about my screenshots until you said map tiles. I hope that you can see them here, I'll keep editing this post until they show correctly.

Recalculation:
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/8316 ... 217031.png
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/70 ... 17031.png/

Route Active but ends shortly:
http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/3029 ... 217040.png
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/85 ... 17040.png/

Proceed to highlighted route after hitting end of highlighted route and recalculation reoccurs:
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/9347 ... 217054.png
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40 ... 17054.png/
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Android Beta Leader

Post by the1who
It is not even like that, trust me. These segments have been like this for a long time. It had since been happening recently with the app updates. I have traveled the segments many times, and it never happened until the latest revisions.
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Android Beta Leader

Post by skbun
Posting a permalink of where this is happening (if you go to http://www.waze.com/editor, log in, and center on a place where it happens, you should see the 'Permalink' button on the bottom), maybe we can tell what's going on.

Based on your description, a best guess I have is that you're in an area where the freeways aren't centered on the roadway quite right, so sometimes it's getting the idea you're not on it. Only way to know for sure though is to see a few spots!

In the client, if you're drifting off of the road (as the editor/client understands it), it may still show you 'on the road' until it doesn't, if that makes sense. Sometimes in edge cases I've seen it act a little odd. Like, if it thinks 'You're on - you're off - you're on'. Two quick recalc operations.
skbun
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/2/2a/W ... 00k_5c.png

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA