Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Windows Phone App - Kickstarter

Post by docmattman
How about starting a Kickstarter project for a Windows Phone Waze app? I've heard that Waze is unwilling to put resources into the a WP app because its unsure about the platform. A Kickstarter project could help provide the funds for such a great app! I'm sure there are many that would be willing to contribute to this cause, I know I am! Lets make it happen, I need my Waze back!
docmattman

POSTER_ID:1010178

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Starting it is easy. Continuing upgrades to keep parity is where the cash is needed. But if you raised over a million dollars, I'm sure that could fund it for a year or two.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by dmcconachie
docmattman wrote:Wow, so Waze is available for free on iOS and Android (both of which already have high quality competing apps), but it will take $1million+ dollars to make it for Windows Phone? I don't really see the logic in that...
Simple really, the number of WP devices doesn't produce enough forecasted ad revenue to pay for the development and maintenance. Talking about the jump from 2% to 5% on WP market share is all good and well but the majority of that is cannibilisation of the terminal Symbian share. Nokia shipped their last Symbian device last quarter. Realistically you need to see at least 4 quarters of consistent market share growth in WP before we can say it's becoming competitive.
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by docmattman
Wow, so Waze is available for free on iOS and Android (both of which already have high quality competing apps), but it will take $1million+ dollars to make it for Windows Phone? I don't really see the logic in that...
docmattman
Send a message

Post by docmattman
dmcconachie wrote:Simple really, the number of WP devices doesn't produce enough forecasted ad revenue to pay for the development and maintenance.
This is why I suggested putting it up on Kickstarter. Then by the time the first release is ready to go, WP may have established itself in the market more significantly.
docmattman
Send a message