Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by jmp316
After finishing editing geometry, I always double check and fix any road restrictions, etc. My whole point to this is that if you're going to edit something, do it right the first time. Yes, we all make editing mistakes now and then, but the areas I'm fixing are just obvious laziness by the editors (and no, I'm not talking about the base maps).
jmp316
Send a message

Post by jmp316
The hope is that with every edit we make, we make waze better for the end user. I guess that's why I'm such a perfectionist as well, but it's worth it...
jmp316
Send a message

Post by jmp316
bigbear3764 wrote:If you see a node on top of an intersection, and one of the roads runs at an angle, those are there to give a proper turn right/left. If the road is on an angle, waze will show the slight turn but won't announce it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Explain this further. I ran into some edits tonight by a lot of top Illinois editors that I would consider sloppy... I just want to make sure I'm not messing anything up by trying to fix things.

I'll find some examples tomorrow and post them...
jmp316
Send a message

Post by jmp316
bigbear3764 wrote:
jmp316 wrote: Explain this further. I ran into some edits tonight by a lot of top Illinois editors that I would consider sloppy... I just want to make sure I'm not messing anything up by trying to fix things.

I'll find some examples tomorrow and post them...
Here's one:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=10&lo ... TTTFTTTTFT

Zoomed all the way in, it looks like a goofy angle on Milwaukee Ave. Now zoom out, it appears as it is running at a strait angle. If you select the segment on Milwaukee Ave, it will show the strait arrow going off the road. This allows Waze to give proper left/right instructions. I have come up to a road with an angled street and Waze didn't announce a turn because the turn was so slight, it ignored it and counted more as a geometry node turn. Put the little kick on it, and Waze gives the turn instruction.
The Milwaukee Ave. example is a good example, thanks for that. I get what you mean now. The example was done very well, BTW. Nice and clean.

I'm on my phone right now, so u can't post a permalink, but I promise I will soon.
jmp316
Send a message

Post by thefatveganchef
Just to further the point here is another example that looks like it is sloppy zoomed all the way in, but because of the angles of the roads you do not get a keep left/right instruction at this intersection. I had to add a little extra node bit and angle the other roads to get this to work. It took me a couple of months to tweak and fine tune it so you don't get a turn instruction or no instruction.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=10&lo ... TTTFTTTTFT

I drive this road every day on my way home from work and in the client you can not tell that this is here.
thefatveganchef
Send a message

Post by thefatveganchef
Yup. Good catch. Left looking North, right going the right way on it.
thefatveganchef
Send a message

Post by WazinBruce
I guess I am a perfectionist as well as I have been doing a lot of straight line fixing lately too, some of the roads were looking like they were drawn following a drunk guy stumbling down the road. But then again, that is the power of Waze for us to fix them, so I am okay with it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WazinBruce
Send a message
Just Wazin' through life and loving it!

https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/2/24/W ... 2cones.png

Active Editor for East Side of Cleveland, Ohio

Wiki Resources: Ohio Wazeopedia | New Ohio Editors | Ohio Area Managers