Sloppy geometry...

Moderators: MapSir, GizmoGuy411, SkiDooGuy, TerryPurdue

Sloppy geometry...

Postby Bigbear3764 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:02 pm

I'll have to take a look when I get to a PC.

EDIT: Ok, look to see what I did with the turn restrictions here:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-87.71 ... s=15079673

I left the turns from Milwaukee, but I restricted some left turns to increase the penalty for taking a route that Waze seems to think is faster. I have seen quite a few of these when there are 3 streets crossing to create a triangle. See if this stops this from happening, or we may need to restrict the right from Milwaukee to Woodard also. I know these turns are allowed, it's just that people generally don't take them because they know it's not the easiest way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Sloppy geometry...

Postby Bigbear3764 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:24 pm

failsafe wrote:Are you sure it still works that way? I thought that if there was an intersection with a road name change, Waze would tell you to turn regardless.

I had one do it to me about a month ago. I was on Lake-Cook rd going west and knew I had to turn right on Algonquin. Waze said next turn was in X miles at SR-31. I said to my self no, got to turn on Algonquin rd first. When I looked at it in the editor, the angle was to soft of an angle to give turn instruction. Gave it a kick and worked the next time.

Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Sloppy geometry...

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:42 am

failsafe wrote:Might be right. Information dissemination from the top is NOT very good here.

Also, I was typing my last reply while bigbear was typing his, so I didn't see it until I went in to read your reply. He just hit submit before I did.

This is possibly one of the most well documented aspects of map editing we have. If you haven't read the wiki in a while, you may want to do so.
jasonh300

Sloppy geometry...

Postby jmp316 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:41 am

bigbear3764 wrote:
jmp316 wrote:Explain this further. I ran into some edits tonight by a lot of top Illinois editors that I would consider sloppy... I just want to make sure I'm not messing anything up by trying to fix things.

I'll find some examples tomorrow and post them...

Here's one:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=10&lo ... TTTFTTTTFT

Zoomed all the way in, it looks like a goofy angle on Milwaukee Ave. Now zoom out, it appears as it is running at a strait angle. If you select the segment on Milwaukee Ave, it will show the strait arrow going off the road. This allows Waze to give proper left/right instructions. I have come up to a road with an angled street and Waze didn't announce a turn because the turn was so slight, it ignored it and counted more as a geometry node turn. Put the little kick on it, and Waze gives the turn instruction.

The Milwaukee Ave. example is a good example, thanks for that. I get what you mean now. The example was done very well, BTW. Nice and clean.

I'm on my phone right now, so u can't post a permalink, but I promise I will soon.
jmp316

Sloppy geometry...

Postby jmp316 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:34 am

bigbear3764 wrote:If you see a node on top of an intersection, and one of the roads runs at an angle, those are there to give a proper turn right/left. If the road is on an angle, waze will show the slight turn but won't announce it.

Explain this further. I ran into some edits tonight by a lot of top Illinois editors that I would consider sloppy... I just want to make sure I'm not messing anything up by trying to fix things.

I'll find some examples tomorrow and post them...
jmp316

Sloppy geometry...

Postby jmp316 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:22 pm

The hope is that with every edit we make, we make waze better for the end user. I guess that's why I'm such a perfectionist as well, but it's worth it...
jmp316

Sloppy geometry...

Postby kuduboet » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:34 pm

I guess I am a perfectionist as well as I have been doing a lot of straight line fixing lately too, some of the roads were looking like they were drawn following a drunk guy stumbling down the road. But then again, that is the power of Waze for us to fix them, so I am okay with it :)

kuduboet

Sloppy geometry...

Postby Bigbear3764 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:34 pm

When you see a last edit date and user, it could be from a QW of a node to fix rev conns and u conns.

I know what your talking about though. I have selected segments and seen all the crazy nodes piled up on a strait run. Sometimes those are left from deleting extra intersection nodes. When you delete an unnecessary intersection node, it changes to a geometry node. I generally can tell when a road was split then unsplit.

Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Sloppy geometry...

Postby Bigbear3764 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:39 pm

If you see a node on top of an intersection, and one of the roads runs at an angle, those are there to give a proper turn right/left. If the road is on an angle, waze will show the slight turn but won't announce it.

Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Sloppy geometry...

Postby jmp316 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:22 am

I've been fixing A LOT of sloppy geometry lately and this is one of my biggest pet peeves. I know it doesn't make a huge difference in the client, but it does make roads in the client look much nicer and professionally done. Ok, rant over. Thanks for letting me vent.
jmp316

Next

Return to Illinois