Wiki page suggestion: Landmarks

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Wiki page suggestion: Landmarks

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:11 pm

I would elect to not map them at this time and wait for the Waze native POI feature to become available. Next year.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Riamus » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:23 pm

On the subject of landmarks, is there any opinion on waste transfer stations? These are places where you might drop of recycle items or trash and where waste is sorted. Map, don't map? If we map them, what landmark would be used? Government building considering it's typically a county owned site? Considering these are places where the public can usually drop things off, having them marked seems like it could be of use. Along the same lines, there are also town dumps where you can drop trash off. Any opinions on either of these types of locations?
Riamus

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:28 pm

Most landmarks do not reliably show their name so adding them just in case someone might see a hotel/motel while panning and scanning seems to not be the best use of resources.

Waze has a new feature under development for adding real POIs.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Riamus » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:00 pm

Once we have a POI system where you just have an icon at a point on the map, it will be nice to have these on the map (and other items). Until then, the landmarks just start looking like a mess when you add a lot of unnecessary ones to the map. That and the rule is currently not to map them even if it did look fine. I personally don't like seeing a ton of landmarks on the map because they just look bad. I don't care for the patchwork quilt look. But I don't mind seeing POI icons at the various points with optionally a text label for at least the important ones.
Riamus

Postby MGODLEW » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:50 pm

I agree people should use the search but occasionally it might be nice to free roam on the map to see whats nearby, at least that is my opinion (which doesn't really account to much) but otherwise I agree with you.
MGODLEW
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby Riamus » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:36 pm

It is extremely easy to find a hotel using the category search in Waze without it needing to be visible on the map. I think that, in general, the USA landmark guideline thread linked a few posts up is a good reference. I might have a few minor issues with it, but they are certainly minor and not something that really matters all that much. I'm okay with it as it currently stands in that thread.
Riamus

Postby MGODLEW » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:19 pm

bgodette wrote:Public Parking is already covered directly in the app without need of a landmark. Hotels, repair, rental, Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, Target, grocery stores, etc are all revenue streams and just add clutter.

I'll agree all revenue streamed businesses shouldn't be mapped per say but I think hotels would still be good to see on a map. I can't tell you the countless times I've had people ask "hey do you know how I can get to ****** hotel" Seeing it on a map could potentially help some either find a hotel nearby or navigate to it a little easier.
MGODLEW
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby bgodette » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:50 pm

MGODLEW wrote:I think items that should be mapped are places they are associated primarily with driving/travel. That would include train stations, bus stations, airports, public parking lots (not business parking lots), hotels, car repair locations, amusement parks & sports/concert venues, gas stations, schools/universities, car rental locations, ALL 24hr hospitals and EMS/Fire/Police stations. As for mapping businesses, I would map businesses that are in large buildings. IE: Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, Target... Pretty much any grocery store & big shopping malls like Mall of America for example.
Public Parking is already covered directly in the app without need of a landmark. Hotels, repair, rental, Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, Target, grocery stores, etc are all revenue streams and just add clutter.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby MGODLEW » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:20 pm

I think items that should be mapped are places they are associated primarily with driving/travel. That would include train stations, bus stations, airports, public parking lots (not business parking lots), hotels, car repair locations, amusement parks & sports/concert venues, gas stations, schools/universities, car rental locations, ALL 24hr hospitals and EMS/Fire/Police stations. As for mapping businesses, I would map businesses that are in large buildings. IE: Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, Target... Pretty much any grocery store & big shopping malls like Mall of America for example.
MGODLEW
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:38 pm

For US Wazers: Please see [USA] Landmark Guidelines - Request for Comments topic for the Champs recommendations for guidelines.
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion