Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Website and Map Update Suggestions

Post by matthewalford2
I've recently started working on Waze.com to help update the map and I've come across a few issues that I think could be addressed.

1. When adding any feature to the map a user cannot un-select the feature after selecting it.
By this, I mean that if i were to click the '+' and select Parking Lot but then changed my mind, I would either have to create the landmark and then delete it, or navigate away from the page in order to remove the landmark producing cursor. There should be some way to de-select the 'add a feature'.

2. When adding a Landmark feature to a location on the map in which a user has no ability to edit, meaning it's outside of the boundaries of their influence on the map, the program doesn't prevent the user from creating the landmark until he/she attempts to save the changes. It would be nice if it prevented it from the start, recognizing that this user has no ability to edit features on that part of the map.

3. I think perhaps there's a need to change how user's updates are saved. For example, If I were to add a road near the boundaries of my influence on the map and then mark a parking lot which happens to be outside of the boundaries of where i'm allowed to edit, after which i realize it's out of the boundaries and so i delete it, the application now shows i've made 3 changes. Problem is, because the second change of creating the parking lot will fail to save, so will all of the other changes, including the first change of creating the road, which was a valid change. Instead of my erasing the parking lot being an additional change, it would be nice if it would instead just cancel out the original change so that the first one may still be saved. This also brings me to my 4th point.

4. In the situation listed in number 3, i'm now in a situation on the update map screen in which my save will fail so any subsequent changes will also fail to save. In order to fix this, I have to navigate away from the page and return to it in order to clear all of the changes. It would be nice if there were a way to simply undo all the changes you've done to this point so that you can bring the application back to a point at which it can save successfully.

These are just some scenarios and situations i've come across while updating the map.
Please let me know what you think and if any of these changes might be feasible.

Thanks!
matthewalford2

POSTER_ID:4316026

Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
matthewalford2 wrote:2. When adding a Landmark feature to a location on the map in which a user has no ability to edit, meaning it's outside of the boundaries of their influence on the map, the program doesn't prevent the user from creating the landmark until he/she attempts to save the changes. It would be nice if it prevented it from the start, recognizing that this user has no ability to edit features on that part of the map.
There is an "Editable Area" layer in the editor, it shades areas you do not have permission to edit.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by jasonh300
The map editors videos are more of an attention grabber than instructions on how to edit. The editing rules and instructions are at www.Waze.com/wiki and should be read in full and understood before doing any editing.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by matthewalford2
Thanks for your response.
I tried your solution for the first issue and it does in fact work. That being said, perhaps the Map Editor's Guide videos should be more comprehensive and explain all of the shortcut keys and such so that as an editor we don't have to try and determine these functions on our own.

As for #3, I think you and I are on the same page. I'd rather see the counter decrease rather than increase and consider the "delete" an update to the current map.
matthewalford2
Send a message

Post by matthewalford2
@jasonh300:
Thank you for the wiki link. That was very helpful.

@AndyPoms:
I did notice that layer was available however, why let a user do something they're not allowed to in the first place? Obviously the tool is aware of where a user can and cannot make edits so why even allow the edit to take place outside of the user's area of influence to begin with? Just seems like something that could be taken into account in further releases of the Map Editor
matthewalford2
Send a message

Post by Scorp42
#1) press the Esc key, it works

#3) it's be better to reverse the change, rather than select and delete. The counter on the save Icon, indicates the numeric of reversible edits. Rather than create and delete (2edits) I"d create then undo (you'd see the number count decrease.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Scorp42
Send a message
iPhone 4 (AT&T GSM)
iOS 6.0.1 - nonjailbroken
Waze - 3.5.1.998