These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Predict future drive....

Post by SocalToe
Since waze knows historic average speeds, is there a way to predict a future drive?

Say I have to go somewhere during the day that I normally don't go.

Can I use waze (probably just website version) to figure out how long it would take tomorrow?

That way I would know if I have to get up earlier than normal, or maybe picking a different time to leave would be very beneficial.
SocalToe

POSTER_ID:10153877

Send a message
Ed

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Based only on historical traffic conditions, yes, Waze can do this, and the routing server used by livemap accepts a parameter for time offset from now. The Android widget already uses this functionality as well, to show you how long your commute will take over the next few hours based on when you leave. I am not sure if there is an offset limit, so unsure if it actually will work for the next day.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
SocalToe wrote:Where do you enter the time offset?

I don't see a place to enter it.
You can't enter it directly in livemap. It's supported by the routing server, but not livemap, so this "feature" has very limited use because you can't get it to actually show a different route on the livemap. You can only get it to return a string of data. It is that string of data which is used by livemap to produce the routes and display them.

Until Waze makes it directly available, or someone like Timbones can whip up a userscript to add this to the page, this doesn't have any current use. But, the feature is there, so Waze can someday make it available. So, the answer to your question "can I use Waze....?" is no. Today.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by hmarian
For what you are looking for I think this service is useful - http://routes.tomtom.com

Cheers,
Hagay.
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message

Device: Samsung Galaxy S20+
Waze Version: 4.90.90.901
Country Manager: Canada
Area Manager: Greater Toronto Area, Buffalo (NY), Binyamina (Israel)
Android/WME Beta Tester
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editing Manual | Editing Best Practice | @Waze_Canada

Post by jmp316
It won't be completely accurate without knowing future traffic conditions. What I would do from the client is get driving directions and look at the time it displays. That will give you a rough estimate, but it may vary depending on traffic.
jmp316
Send a message

Post by SocalToe
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Based only on historical traffic conditions, yes, Waze can do this, and the routing server used by livemap accepts a parameter for time offset from now. The Android widget already uses this functionality as well, to show you how long your commute will take over the next few hours based on when you leave. I am not sure if there is an offset limit, so unsure if it actually will work for the next day.

Where do you enter the time offset?

I don't see a place to enter it.

thanks
SocalToe
Send a message
Ed

Post by SocalToe
hmarian wrote:For what you are looking for I think this service is useful - http://routes.tomtom.com

Cheers,
Hagay.
I just tried that, doesn't seem to fully account for traffic.

A trip from los angeles to bakersfield at 2am says 1 hour 50 minutes

A trip from los angeles to bakersfield at 3pm says 2 hours.

I know the first 20 miles at 2am takes 20 minutes

at 3pm the first 20 miles takes at least 45 minutes. So it's already wrong by 15 minutes and we still have 100 miles to go..............
SocalToe
Send a message
Ed