Default Map Colors

Important messages to community users. This forum is locked (waze staff only).

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Default Map Colors

Postby RickW-NC » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:21 am

I was thinking about the map colors the other night. They were annoying on a long night trip but I was did not turn the brightness down either. I was thinking a more red-based scheme at night (like an airplane cockpit) would be more suitable. Also I think there a 3 types of colorblindness, and it might be good to have a scheme for each one. There should be color studies available somewhere or consult your local eye doctor. I also discovered that deer were not marked on the map. Is there some way chips can be inserted in them to warn us late at night? They can ruin an otherwise wonderful trip.
RickW-NC

Postby gerben » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:16 am

I've been using the user-made scheme with Cartouche colours for a while now. I will keep using this one because it shows all (major) road types in a different colour, so they are a lot more recognizable than the different shades of the same colour as used in the current and now proposed schemes.
gerben

Postby hodgetts » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:42 pm

I like both options - on balance I think the yellow option is nicer, but it needs a little more difference between the shades per road type. It's always good to be able to spot the difference between motorways (freeways) and Major/Minor highways. Also you could still show the low traffic jams in a vivid (but strong) yellow rather than shades of orange.

I would certainly like to see both options on my iPhone client to try to live with them.

Steve
hodgetts

Default Map Colors

Postby The Fej » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:08 pm

Thinking of making a change and making it more colorful (yet enabling to display the additional information and maintaining visibility), we'd like your view on the 2 options we are examining currently:

The 'Yellow' option (assuming we will not display yellow (low) traffic jams):

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

The 'Greenish' option (as we do not display roads without traffic as green):

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

So, please feel free to tell us your view
The Fej
Waze Management