Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Summary — Time Restricted Turns and Throughways

Post by witfits
I know this is well discussed, but can I get some of the boiled-down thoughts/decisions on this topic?

You can almost see the wazer throwing their phone out the window :roll:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-77.05 ... TTTTTTTTFT

Please share your best practices for managing time-restricted turns and throughways, and socializing the current lack of support for this scenario.
witfits

POSTER_ID:11453774

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
What do you mean by socializing? It's well known, posted about in the forum, been entered in the FAQ for quite some time, and @WazeMapping mentions that from time to time as well. What else are you suggesting? I'm not sure how you create something more proactive to alert drivers in the app. Drivers bitch enough already about too many pop-ups.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
witfits wrote:I'm convinced they have no clue that a feature, that may seem simple, is simply not available. Will it ever be available? Next week? Next year? 2018?
I agree. Until we have the ability to communicate directly with the drivers, we can't get this out there. I doubt waze will ever largely publicize, such as on facebook, a "feature we don't support" as that's a killer. We do not know when time-restricted turns will be available. They have stated they are working on it, which is better than, "we're looking into it."
witfits wrote:For now, do you just close the UR? If so, as "Solved", or "Not Identified"?
Solved. Then it is up to them to contact you because in the email they get, they have your Wazer name/forum name.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
witfits wrote:I always allow the turn/route as it's allowed during greatest portion of the day
There has been recent discussion, perhaps in the wiki documentation forum, about changing the recommendation to always restrict.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:The problem is this is the infamous reversing Rock Creek Pkwy.
Totally agree. Waze says time- based turn restrictions and reversing roadways are interrelated and will likely be new features at the same time.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I agree, I don't think you can get any further boiled-down thoughts on this subject. There is just no good way to handle the situation. Thus, you will see the landmarks, the road names indication the problem (although the short primary section and its name I don't think will help anything at all).
We can either restrict the turns have angry users that want to use the road when its permitted or we can keep the turn open and have angry users like this one.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
witfits wrote:For now, do you just close the UR? If so, as "Solved", or "Not Identified"?
Solved. Then it is up to them to contact you because in the email they get, they have your Wazer name/forum name.
The "Not Identified" email also gives them your Wazer name/forum name.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
witfits wrote:I always allow the turn/route as it's allowed during greatest portion of the day
There has been recent discussion, perhaps in the wiki documentation forum, about changing the recommendation to always restrict.
The problem is this is the infamous reversing Rock Creek Pkwy. We are not just talking about a left turn restriction, where the wazer can be routed a through a turn a few lights down or right around the block as the wazer would need to do during rush hour. If we always restrict here (and consistently restrict all the other entrances to the pkwy), we would be effectively taking the pkwy (a significant commuter route) off the map.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
CBenson wrote:The problem is this is the infamous reversing Rock Creek Pkwy.
Totally agree. Waze says time- based turn restrictions and reversing roadways are interrelated and will likely be new features at the same time.
Right, they are certainly interrelated, as you can provide the necessary information about reversing roads through time restricted turns. However, it seems so much easier to deal with reversing roads specifically than time restricted turns in general. Just force the average speeds to zero in the direction which is closed for the appropriate time. I wish we didn't have to wait for full blown time restricted turns to be implemented to have the Rock Creek Pkwy route correctly.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by witfits
I guess there are users that download the app, fire it up, and don't read their emails, never go to waze.com, and therefore think their feedback goes unanswered. I'd happily provide details via email if they wrote to me and expressed their frustration. Anything to get them to reduce the daily, multiple UR's on this issue.

I'm convinced they have no clue that a feature, that may seem simple, is simply not available. Will it ever be available? Next week? Next year? 2018?

It makes me wonder how many uninstall and move to the next, or back to the old, navigation app.

For now, do you just close the UR? If so, as "Solved", or "Not Identified"?
witfits
Send a message