The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

"Turn Left at to I-275 Southbound"

Post by timl2k12
OK so I navigated the local interstates for the first time in a while. What is the logic behind putting "to" in front of the name of every ramp? The instruction you get is nonsense for one and confusing, as "to" sounds like "two" so I hear "Turn left at 2 I-275 southbound" and "continue on 2 I-275 S / St. Petersburg". "At to" and "on to" (though "onto" does, but it doesn't sound like "onto") makes no sense. Shouldn't the ramps be labeled so the turn instructions make sense? How was this consensus arrived at? Shouldn't the "to" be only for destination info like "keep right onto I-4 E to Ocala" instead of "keep right onto to I-4 E / Orlando", or "continue on I-275 S to St. Petersburg" or "continue on onramp to I-275 S / St. Petersburg"?
timl2k12

POSTER_ID:13137504

Send a message
Level 3 Area Manager - Tampa, FL

Post by AndyPoms
In your first link there were several issues related to the ramps names, I've fixed them, so the instructions should be a lot clearer now.

Someone had but a "to: I-275 S" instead of "to I-275 S" (note the colon).

For more information about the correct naming convention see Road Naming (USA) for more info...

Your second example looks like a textbook example of the correct way to do it (Waze processes the next name in certain circumstances).
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by CBenson
The live map script is just returning the road names. It does not parse the phrases in the same way as the client. For example, the client does not give the continue instructions. The client does not display or say "keep right onto to." Here is the navigation list from my phone. But be aware that the visual and voice prompts do not match the navigation list exactly either.
to.jpg
(16.94 KiB) Downloaded 431 times
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
So to be precise, I believe that the displayed instruction is as shown in the navigation list and that the voice instruction with the level of guidance set to include street names is "Stay to the right at eye four east Orlando."
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by timl2k12
Here is a screenshot of 2nd example on LiveMap.
live map example.jpg
"keep right onto to I-4 E / Orlando"
(104.33 KiB) Downloaded 448 times
timl2k12
Send a message

Post by timl2k12
Thanks Benson and Andy for the clarifications. The latter example, I remember hearing something that didn't sound right, but I no longer remember exactly what it was. But it did occur going from 1-4 W to I-75 N.
timl2k12
Send a message