Illegal Routing through Dulles Airport

Post by mobileandmonitoring
I received this PM from a user in DC. He's going from Alexandria to Chantilly and instead of telling him to stay on 66 the whole way, Waze is actually having him take the Toll Road Airport Only through the Airport and South on 28!

Any ideas?

I asked him for more info as to the time of day -- I'm wondering if 66 West is THAT backed up that Waze thinks this illegal detour would actually be faster!??!

Message follows below......hivemind, have at it!

-----------------

I'm not sure where to pose my question but I'll try you since you are listed as the area manager for the region around the 66 - Dulles Toll road interchange.

So - if I start navigation from Alexandria (I live in Old Town) with a destination in Chantilly (near the Rt 50/ Rt 28 interchange) one of the routes that Waze suggests is to take 66 to the Dulles Toll rd to 28 then south to the Rt 50 area. I don't understand why it doesn't route me straight out 66. If I select no toll roads it has suggested that I illegally take the Access road to Dulles Airport, go through the Airport and then south on 28!

If I commit to 66 then at some point - I'm not sure exactly when - it will suggest staying on 66 and not taking the toll road as the preferred route but this should be fixed.

Thanks, any help in directing this the right way would be appreciated.
mobileandmonitoring

POSTER_ID:11480341

Send a message
Area Manager for the Greater Baltimore-Washington Metropolitan Area.
Helping out wherever I have expertise, and wherever there's a need.
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png

Post by sfalatko
As an update - I'm not sure where you are on the suggested changes but yesterday afternoon I was checking a route from Crystal City to Chantilly using the iOS app with it set to avoid toll roads and one of the routes was still to go out the access road and through the airport and then onto Rt 28 south ... so it's still a problem ...

And the inexplicable routing out the toll road instead of staying on 66 is still there and still inexplicable ...

Regards
sfalatko
Send a message

Post by sfalatko
Hi,

Thanks to you all for taking a look at this. To ensure clarity here's where I'm at -

1. In the morning I start Waze to navigate to work (I'm roughly at 300 North Royal Street in Alexandria, VA and I commute to around Conference Center Dr, Chantilly, VA). Of the two routes that Waze usually suggests one takes the Capital Beltway from Rt 1 in Alexandria to 66W and then 66W to 28N and one takes Rt1 N to 66W to the Dulles Toll Rd to 28S. It does not route me out 66W the entire way to Rt 28N. You can try this on the Waze website and see the two routes - and it's clear there is no traffic reason for this to happen. I've uploaded a screen shot from this morning for you to see - it should be obvious that a route straight out 66W would be better than going the toll road.

2. If I select no tolls (in the iOS app - which is updated and running on an 4S with the latest iOS) it will route me out the Access road through the Airport and then down 28S.

3. If I check route recommendations with Google Maps, Apple Maps, or Scout by TeleNav they all suggest at least one route out 66W all the way. None suggest taking the Dulles Toll Road to 28.

If you need any other information or tests let me know. I'm glad to help.

Thanks.
sfalatko
Send a message
Attachments

Post by mysticcobra
Sounds good to me. Do it! :)
mysticcobra
Send a message
Jimmy
Samsung Galaxy S6-Android 7.0, Waze 4.50.1.1
Northern VA

Post by mysticcobra
This is an interesting problem. I know the Chantilly area and I've taken the Dulles Toll Road (note there IS a difference between the Toll Road and the Access Road) back there from the Falls Church area to avoid I-66 delays.

So, I'm confident that waze is working as we've programmed it to.

The Dulles Access Road is another special case highway in NOVA like the Express Lanes. It would be nice if you could program the Access Road so that it only is chosen as a routing option IFF (if and only if) the user is going TO or FROM the airport. I doubt that is possible based on what I've seen with waze.

Since it acts like a private road (it is owned by the airport, after all), maybe making it a private road at Level 5 will cure the problem and still allow it to show/provide traffic info.
mysticcobra
Send a message
Jimmy
Samsung Galaxy S6-Android 7.0, Waze 4.50.1.1
Northern VA

Post by mobileandmonitoring
The user replied with this:

The only time I try it is in the morning. I'm certain it's not because of traffic for several reasons - first the normal delays on 66 westbound in the morning are between Glebe Rd and the Toll Road. I've also checked with Apple Maps, Google Maps, and Scout by Telenav (all on an iPhone) and generally one of the routes they show at the same time is to take 66 all the way. That makes me think there's some kind of problem with Waze/the underlying data in the map.

Thanks for checking it out. I would like it "fixed" as my two main routes to work are around the beltway from Rt1 to 66W and out to 28 or up the GWP/Rt 1 to 66 and all the way out to 28. I find Waze's traffic/time estimates to be great and it really makes the commute better to have confidence in the travel time/route.

-----
I've driven the Toll Road many times and am well aware of the operations. I agree that parking lot segments would be useful in preventing this, and perhaps you could have someone lock at Level 5?

I've invited the user to this thread also to see if he has more info to share.
mobileandmonitoring
Send a message
Area Manager for the Greater Baltimore-Washington Metropolitan Area.
Helping out wherever I have expertise, and wherever there's a need.
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png

Post by Mike-1323
bmitch3020 wrote:For the 28/greenway, I think this needs to be a solution that's applied to every entrance and exit, otherwise Waze will start navigating people over the one route that doesn't have a private segment embedded. Or am I missing something?
You have it right to the best of my understanding.

The 'all' approach is in place now and we'll see how it works. I locked things to lvl 5.
Mike-1323
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

[img]https:///L6ziL[/img] [img]https:///0NAfp[/img]

Required reading: Quick Start Guide, Best Practices, USA Road Types

Post by Mike-1323
bmitch3020 wrote:When I first considered doing this, I was only going to do it with segments in one direction, but the two way segment going out the north of the parking lots made it so both directions were needed. I also considered putting the private segments in the airport, but with U-turns, parking lots, etc, there were too many possibilities for routing to do something strange. But this was also when parking lots themselves needed to have streets internally because the routing algorithm counted every segment instead of only the transitions.
I too was thinking that only segments leaving the airport needed to have a section of private. Then if you start routing at the airport you have to travel over a private road segment but that private road segment would prevent routing through the airport. So an equal penalty for every route starting at the airport and a prohibitive penalty for routing through the airport. That doesn't need the segments on the inbound roads and ramps. What am I missing or misunderstanding?

These segments are disconnected due to a security gate so routing won't go that way. And the segments just north of there are already private roads so they'll be avoided as well.

If I recall correctly there were some UR's that popped up because of some funky routing from 28N into the airport. I pointed the editor at the private road segments and said that they were the likely culprit, this section of ramp specifically so their disappearance is at least in part my fault. Why do you think that the ramp from 28/greenway into the airport needs a private segment?
Mike-1323
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

[img]https:///L6ziL[/img] [img]https:///0NAfp[/img]

Required reading: Quick Start Guide, Best Practices, USA Road Types