Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

Image This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby Wajo357 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:33 am

txemt wrote:
orbitc wrote:I agree with Alan. Few of us tested these with few different combination. The Best option, IMO, should be either with single quotes or double quotes.

I'd have to disagree. How many street signs or exit ramps do you see that have a "" or '' in them? I understand that we're trying to get Waze to say the actual letter instead of a direction, so I would advocate more of the period.

What I'm saying is that the period was tested, and with only one letter, the period still sounded out as the direction and not the letter.
Area Manager: New York / New Jersey (in USA)
Wajo357

Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

Postby orbitc » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:35 am

Once again I'm with Alan. I prefer single quotes as well.

I don't think Waze Dev. changing anything yet. This is just is trying to fix these roads with N, W, S, E letters manually. This way we get better directions from Waze.
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

WME | USA | MapRaid!
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby txemt » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:36 am

Wajo357 wrote:
txemt wrote:
orbitc wrote:I agree with Alan. Few of us tested these with few different combination. The Best option, IMO, should be either with single quotes or double quotes.

I'd have to disagree. How many street signs or exit ramps do you see that have a "" or '' in them? I understand that we're trying to get Waze to say the actual letter instead of a direction, so I would advocate more of the period.

What I'm saying is that the period was tested, and with only one letter, the period still sounded out as the direction and not the letter.

I've tested the period, too and didn't get a direction. I'm waiting for my next test results to hit the client to find something else out about the period. I did have quotes around a lower case "s" and it looked really funny (had a few URs about it, too).
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Wajo357 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:39 am

txemt wrote:
I've tested the period, too and didn't get a direction. I'm waiting for my next test results to hit the client to find something else out about the period. I did have quotes around a lower case "s" and it looked really funny (had a few URs about it, too).

Agree that double quotes look weird. Did you try something like [Ave S.]? For me, it came up as [Ave South].
Wajo357

Postby txemt » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:44 am

Wajo357 wrote:
Agree that double quotes look weird. Did you try something like [Ave S.]? For me, it came up as [Ave South].

I'm waiting for:
Sp
A.T.&T.
Alt
St. Middle St

Those were added last night, so in a couple of days, they'll hit the client and I can test them out. I'm going to try out some combos of "S 1st St W" to see what I get.
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby orbitc » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:23 am

I'm waiting for:
Sp
A.T.&T.
Alt
St. Middle St

Those were added last night, so in a couple of days, they'll hit the client and I can test them out. I'm going to try out some combos of "S 1st St W" to see what I get.

Are we getting mix messages?
Wajo357 tested with Avenue S. that yield South.
Someone else tested that it worked.
Perhaps, the reason for this is that we were testing a single letter. More concern with the directional letters. Not combinations of letters like A.T.T.
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

WME | USA | MapRaid!
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby Wajo357 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:05 am

orbitc wrote:
I'm waiting for:
Sp
A.T.&T.
Alt
St. Middle St

Are we getting mix messages?
Wajo357 tested with Avenue S. that yield South.
Someone else tested that it worked.
Perhaps, the reason for this is that we were testing a single letter. More concern with the directional letters. Not combinations of letters like A.T.T.

Correct.
Wajo357

Postby jasonh300 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:30 am

txemt wrote:I'd have to disagree. How many street signs or exit ramps do you see that have a "" or '' in them? I understand that we're trying to get Waze to say the actual letter instead of a direction, so I would advocate more of the period.

The problem with the period is that when someone reads it on the screen and sees the period, they're going to think it's an abbreviation.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby txemt » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:55 am

jasonh300 wrote:The problem with the period is that when someone reads it on the screen and sees the period, they're going to think it's an abbreviation.

Then the person who's looking at the period needs to be paying attention road, not if the period is after or before a letter.

As far as the other things, I'm going through the list at the very beginning of thread and finding out what works and what doesn't work. I also need to know how "AT&T Center Pkwy" is going to read because I have exit signs and a road called that, so that's a local issue.
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:58 am

Regarding roads named as letters, I agree that surrounding the capitalized letter with single quotes will look the best as Alan said. I have yet to retest for the various test from the list for the letters, N, E, S, and W, however multiple Wazers have indicated recently that the result are now different that what is shown in the list.

Using a period after a letter may lead to confusion, as it looks like a standard cardinal direction abbreviation, as Jason said.

However using periods with multiple letters, such as A.T.T. or N.Y.C. to get the abbreviation pronounced as individual letters should be fine, if it really is working that way universally now.

One problem is that we have found in the past that many factors affect the TTS results.

The position of the abbreviation relative to other words, punctuation around it, capitalization, and the various combinations of those factors.

When list here was created, I used a space a forward slash and a space around every abbreviation, with multiple abbreviations per test segment. We expected a forward slash to produce a pause, as Waze said it would be any easy change. Since it did not happen as soon as we hoped, the TTS results were very hard to understand without any pauses. Another editor, jenncard, was helping at the time with the project, and created a test rig of her own with each abbreviation with a comma and a space. The results were much easier to understand.

Last spring I started to use her method for testing. Since that time however there has been suspicion that the comma may even cause a change in the results. Furthermore, it may be possible that ANY other words on a segment besides the abbreviation to be tested may create a different result.

If you look at the most recent entries in the list, you may notice that several test segments have created TWO TTS audio files which are actually different from each other. (On Android, one file is created with just the words in the segment name, and another file is created with the segment name prefixed with the word "at".)

A few examples:
- The abbreviation "RR" for "Rural Route", says the letters "ar ar" in one file and "Rural Route" in the other.
- The abbreviation "Cent" for "Center", say "Cent" in one file and "Center" for the other.
- Several abbreviations for "Parkway", say the letters for one file if the abbreviation is capitalized , and say "Parkway" for the other file.
- While testing "SH-123" as am abbreviation for "State Highway 123", one file said the letters and the numbers "one hundred twenty-three", where the other file said the letters and "one two three".

And in one case were I was testing the abbreviations "boro, par, ph" for Borough, Parade, and Parish, I had TTS results that said "borough par pea-aitch", and the other file said "borough parade phone".
When "ph" was tested again by itself, the results were the letters "pea-aight" for both files.

Testing for every possibility is a bit overwhelming at this point.

U.S. based Global Champ
U.S. CM
U.S. Great Lakes RC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Galaxy S6 Edge w/ Android 5.1.1 & iPad "3" w/ iOS 8.2.0
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to United States