Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.
Post by grinvaldsjanis
fotoroel wrote:Haha, Iam sure not a developer and dont ever become a developer :P

Well in the way you explain it to me, it is possible.
But (sorry) I think they can better invest in better navigation in all the country's before implent this sort of features.
As I understand, navigation quality depends on maps corrected by users and also number of users reporting. In country like mine and other with small road providing budgets, and percentage of gravel roads, info about road quality and dangers is vital. Navigation, so far, is decent. Ok - it could be made in next version, but when it will work - waze will be even more genius.
grinvaldsjanis
Send a message
Waze Latvia Social expert

Post by grinvaldsjanis
palmerit wrote:People generally drive slower over rough roads. Waze already learns average speeds. Taking accelerometer readings would be difficult at best. Two cars going over the same road, one being a high end luxury far and one being a classic car.. are going to give two very different readings.

Why not let Waze do what it does, learning average speeds? I don't know any mapping solution that reports rough roads and frankly... I think there are other things that Waze can and should prioritize.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Who told that such things are easy? Waze is not easy. But You can win only if You have more and more unique features. Would I download Waze if it had all same features as other navigators do? - Not. So don't please look at others and think what else waze could be useful for. Waze is not only about navigating, but giving useful info about road You are willing to take.

My argument against Your's: At different conditions wazers could drive at same spead, esp. where speeds are limited, or there are other (permanent/non-permanent) reasons for slowing down. Or for example - country road is flat and smooth, but dusty or slipery. In such case You (probably) still will be limiting Your speed, but not spoiling car or waking Your child. Other argument is that characteristics of different cars are different and in bad conditions speeds can be very different and not telling about condition of road. Agree?
I would not waste my time here if this feature could not be useful at least for me.
I agree that different cars will act differently on same bad road, but for that we have techniques of filtering, interpolation and other methods. Maybe it seems more difficult then it really is after exploring a bit.
Maybe some mobile application developer could contribute with prototyping such module wich could be tested on different cars on same bad roads, analyzing these differences, problems, cases/scenarios. Unfortunately I am not coder but I am experienced in leading projects and generating ideas for solution. It could be some parallel project, maybe even interesting for students and researchers and then, after it ready and trust-able, implemented in waze application and system.

One additional idea: if waze feels that device is frequently accelerating and rotating, it could ask if device is mounted. Note that waze must take in account accelerations which are hard(but not impossible) to imitate by human - sharp, rapid, short, vibrant. And also, in account could be taken data recorded at certain minimum speed.
grinvaldsjanis
Send a message

Post by grinvaldsjanis
fotoroel wrote:If there come's a dialog with a question, it isnt automatic anymore ;)
Ok this problem is small and dealable. We can also avoid to ask questions and use only multiple repetitive expressions on acceleration/rotation graph.
Yesterday goggled about similar ideas. And look! - such data could be used for automatic suspension regulation - preventive preparation of vehicle for problematic conditions on road. Fantastic!
Why me and other users must use another application for that purpose if waze could take care of that?

Watch this. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-17482564

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/techn ... ide-125235

http://www.680news.com/2012/04/27/ford- ... -potholes/

Many cities already are using waze for traffic information. So let's give them info about real conditions of roads and spots of potholes as well!
grinvaldsjanis
Send a message

Post by grinvaldsjanis
dmcconachie wrote:The map in my city would just end up covered in pot-hole reports. And on the cobbled streets the app would be screaming at me!

This has been suggested before but I don't see it as workable, even the best phone accelerometers would struggle let alone the weaker ones. I also don't really see the need. As suggested above, speeds along these roads *should* already account for the road condition.
Screaming? So You don't want to be warned about cobbled surface? Even in foreign city/town?
- Switch of that feature and enjoy joggling!
Application could warn only about highest level problems on road. You see, in turn we would release users from imputing Alerts about situations which phone can notice it self.

Your city? How many cities/towns are in the world and how many of them have wise council deciders as Your city has? You don't have an idea! I can tel by my town. We have potholes around but budget for road repair this year is 2 and more less then before. I imagine You driving around and shiting at every 100m. We are speaking in global terms here. Not everywhere is Britain where one London's skyscraper has budget of some small or poor country. People may travel around and they would feel very comfortable if they would be warned about conditions which could have relative value for locals. Pothole in my country maybe is crater or wheel-braker for You. Intelligent registrator of bumps and holes could make it more objective. Still some brainstorming, pre-work must be done to figure out best solution which couldn't be annoying or useless, but make ride even more informative and comfortable... for those who need that...as option.

Also there would be possible to figure out algorithm of registering severe accidents for example if phone feels very hard acceleration, but user is not responding to phones questions after folowing stopping of car. We could warn local community that PROBABLY accident took place. Also, I am not telling that this is simple or it must be made simple. For sure there must be certain sequence of events to be at least 80% sure that this is related with accident.
Would it even save some lives or health problems? - Tell me!
grinvaldsjanis
Send a message
Last edited by grinvaldsjanis on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by grinvaldsjanis
palmerit wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:
Also there would be possible to figure out algorithm of registering severe accidents for example if phone feels very hard deceleration, but user is not responding to phones questions after following stopping of car. We could warn local community that PROBABLY accident took place.
There is some merit in this one perhaps, more so on remote roads
Again I disagree. Again you are suggesting a User have to interact with the device. And again, Waze already has a mechanism in place for it. If there is a hard stop and the User doesn't touch his phone.. Waze is going to see that the averagecspeed for that segment just dropped drastically, and create a jam. WhY does this need to prompt the User for anything OR require extra code/development/and QA time for a feature we already have.

Every single thing mentioned in this thread so far is already handled by Waze learning average speeds!

As for portholes.. come on now.. locals are going to go around them.. non-Locals will likely drive around them also if they are paying attention to the road instead of pressing even more pop ups in their nav app.

I personally vote NO for every feature that has been suggested in this thread. Waze already handles it, and the have better things to prioritize.

Yeah?! Right! And How about helping? How about not only warn but make impact on road providers, and make other effects unrelated with Your personal, "little world" interests? You will collect cents from little cheaper gas, but not help to someone when accident, not just soft tire or running out of oil happens around? But if such pop-up appears... You could save someone for real. It could also be too far to closest police or ambulance and city "jams", dense traffic. Don't want to inform that road is not only slippery, cobbled, dusty, but real killer for car or trouble some for sleeping baby? I am not talking about holes only. And please take in account development at different countries - absolutely new, reconstructed roads can change to moon surface quite frequently and You indeed will be soon tired to warn about all hazards there. Some situations could be felt by phone and registred...esp. if conditions are relatively permanent.

I really don't wish You to get into situation when You will just wish if such features would be available!

I Don't understand Your worries about extra codes/development if device resources grows every year and I'm sure that also waze enterprise is not getting smaller or less wealthy. Name these better things! Cheapest grocery? Cleanest toilet? - And You'll refuse to push one button to confirm that "This wasn't impact. Everything is ok! Don't send alarm!" and only after powerful (de)acceleration of device and complete stop of vehicle?

We are generating another feature here: First aid sequence wizard/helper. Waze users could use it at very stressful and first experience situation without searching in web or other aid application.

Try to play all possible scenarios and figure out how waze could be more helpful and if it's really so bothering and impossible to implement. I repeat again that some of bothering or "unnecessary" functions could be disabled. But real social users could appreciate these features.
grinvaldsjanis
Send a message

grinvaldsjanis
Send a message
Last edited by grinvaldsjanis on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by grinvaldsjanis
palmerit wrote:If running Waze had any potential to contact authorities simply because I didn't dismiss a pop up in time.. I'd stop using it IMMEDIATELY.

When I drive, I don't talk on the phone. I don't text, I dint interact with Waze or any other app. To require me to do so is a safety concern. Not only tot me, but for every other driver and pedestrian along my route.

With that said, I think this thread was a good discussion, but I don't think I need to spend any more time in it. Cheers!

We are running in circles here. As I said, if we talk about smoothness of road or potholes, waze could record only similarly, repetitive patterns of same segments of road. In such solution You must not talk or push something on phone.

Vote for This feature on uservoice!

Other case is when possible impact and following complete stop of vehicle happen. You should be able to respond on phone's dialog... phone could also make signals and flash to attract Your attention to make You answer. Anyway - it must be clear that You are not driving, vehicle is not moving - accelerometers are still, gravity sensor is still, gps data same for some minute.

Vote for This feature on uservoice!
grinvaldsjanis
Send a message

Post by grinvaldsjanis
mpantunes wrote:people,

for comum peopole to understand, a easy way to solve this and an simple idea:
when editing roads can't we just put the street type as coblbled? This would be easy to set up for Waze and would help a lot on some "historical" ou "not that rich" cities that have cobbled roads (that me and my car hate a lot!).
an exemple: I rather to more 10% more ETA than have to pass on cobbled roads.
Waze, pelase add this feature.

Then, anyone can choose their proper journey. =)
What do you think?

Waze it all! - mpa
Great suggestion! I live in Riga(Latvia/LAT/LV), which is originally ancient town with old-town in the center and many roads there are cobbled, also some major downtown roads are cobbled, but some argues that speed on cobbled roads are lower so usually waze will not suggest to make routes through them. But I also think that in same options window where we chose to not use long gravel roads there could be also option to not suggest too long sections with cobbles or just include cobbles to same preference, but there also must be possibility to show cobbled roads in the map editor.
grinvaldsjanis
Send a message

Post by mpa_pt
people,

for comum peopole to understand, a easy way to solve this and an simple idea:
when editing roads can't we just put the street type as coblbled? This would be easy to set up for Waze and would help a lot on some "historical" ou "not that rich" cities that have cobbled roads (that me and my car hate a lot!).
an exemple: I rather to more 10% more ETA than have to pass on cobbled roads.
Waze, pelase add this feature.

Then, anyone can choose their proper journey. =)
What do you think?

Waze it all! - mpa
mpa_pt
Send a message

Post by Scorp42
People generally drive slower over rough roads. Waze already learns average speeds. Taking accelerometer readings would be difficult at best. Two cars going over the same road, one being a high end luxury far and one being a classic car.. are going to give two very different readings.

Why not let Waze do what it does, learning average speeds? I don't know any mapping solution that reports rough roads and frankly... I think there are other things that Waze can and should prioritize.

Scorp42
Send a message
iPhone 4 (AT&T GSM)
iOS 6.0.1 - nonjailbroken
Waze - 3.5.1.998