Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Feature Suggestion: Share my drive quickly with Waze users

Post by HakanSanDiego
Currently the Share My Drive feature works great, but I can only share using text, facebook or email. When I'm driving and want to share my drive with my wife (for example, and she's a waze user) I have to do text message, type her name and hit send as a SMS message. That's rather cumbersome and not very safe while driving. It would be excellent with a feature where I could quickly share with her and her Waze app would do a push notification and start displaying the drive. Maybe even add favorite users that I often share with for quick access.

Thanks,
/Hakan
HakanSanDiego

POSTER_ID:3715964

Send a message

Post by adeluciajr
cayannpj wrote:It would be nice to be able to have a few favorites that you share your drive with regularly. So I can let my significant other when I am on my way home from work - instead of looking her up everytime in the address book.
^Yes! This!^
adeluciajr
Send a message

adeluciajr
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
vango44 wrote:Seems like you should be able to choose to always let friends see your current location without having to send them a link every time.
A feature which allows grouping like this has been requested for some time. Unsure where they are with it. There are server-side and network bandwidth utilization waze much consider when deciding what features and how to make them available. Allowing everyone to see each other in real time, as a wide-open default for example, would have considerable server CPU and network impacts. They are on one stage of that middle-ground allowing sharing to select people.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Seasider wrote:something I have noticed with the share drive, is that when the friend recieves the notification and clicks on the 'bit.ly' link, it takes them to the web page. would be nice if opened in the app, AND also gave the option to drive to same destination.
Sharing a drive and sharing destination are two different things. Sharing destination does open the app and sets up navigation to the location. Sharing the drive is different. Perhaps, what would make sense, though, is that the share drive webpage you can watch someone from, has a waze.to link on it which will open the app and navigate to the destination.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by cayannpj
It would be nice to be able to have a few favorites that you share your drive with regularly. So I can let my significant other when I am on my way home from work - instead of looking her up everytime in the address book.
cayannpj
Send a message

Post by HakanSanDiego
I'm perfectly fine with just sharing with a select few people, but I'd like the interface to be easier to operate when sharing with favorite people. Texting/email is too hard, especially if I already started driving.
HakanSanDiego
Send a message

Post by Seasider
something I have noticed with the share drive, is that when the friend recieves the notification and clicks on the 'bit.ly' link, it takes them to the web page. would be nice if opened in the app, AND also gave the option to drive to same destination.
I and a few others use share drive a lot, and we find ourselves having to manually drive to same location, whereas could do it with 1 touch (or even using asr at some point) if were given the option.
Seasider
Send a message
Seasider

Sometimes, the light at the end of the tunnel, is just a train coming the other way!!!

Client - Samsung Galaxy S3 - Jellybean
AM - Lancs UK (most of)
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Seasider1972
Emyther - waze.map.update.lancs@gmail.com

Post by vango44
yeah, maybe we're missing it but my wife on Android can't find me easily on ios.

Seems like you should be able to choose to always let friends see your current location without having to send them a link every time.
vango44
Send a message