Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by GizmoGuy411
Timbones wrote:Does TTS not say "saint" when St is at the beginning, and "street" when it is at the end? This is how I'd expect it to work...

via TapaTalk
According to this post, it may not work that way:
leungjf wrote:Hello, all

I've come upon a peculiar problem in my area - St. Louis, MO.

I recently updated some of the entrance ramps to I-64 in the area to incorporate the control city per the Wiki. For example, "To I-64 E" became "To I-64 E St. Louis".

The changes finally went live with the last map update, and then I noticed the problem:

The abbreviation I used for "St. Louis" - "St." - is also the abbreviation for "Street" and the client's TTS is saying it as "I-64 East Street Louis". I haven't seen any postings with this problem (and please forgive me if there have been - still a bit new at this AM thing).

[Original post: http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15041]
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. based Global Champ Emeritus
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes ARC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
(and past GLR RC)
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL3 & iPad "3"

Post by GizmoGuy411
I've added everyone's suggestions to the list, however I have not added anything to my sandbox yet. (Nor have I achieved any editing points in the last day! :( )

Among the items added were:
Doctor = Dr.
Junior = Jr.
Saint = St.

Following that convention I've also added the following for the time being:
C (cee) = C.
E (ee) = E.
N (en) = N.
S (ess) = S.
W (double-u) = W.

Additionally all the state and province abbreviations were added.

A link at the bottom of the spreadsheet to Post Canada shows their official abbreviations, that I will probably merge with the current list at a later time.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Last edited by GizmoGuy411 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
Not at my PC at the moment, but my best guess is that the are using this based on files I've explored on my phone: http://www.nuance.com/for-business/by-p ... /index.htm

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
Less is better is also my opinion.. However for the purposes of this list more is better to learn how the TTS works. Then we can make our suggestions to Waze including everything we think that should be pruned.

Also looked into Nuance some more and found their product called Vocalizer that specifically included our two voice choices; Samantha, and Tom.

Interestingly Waze x.120 has voice files that include a canned set of English and Hebrew prompts? Many that I have never heard before.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
The results are back for the first abbreviations that were tested that started with the letters "A" and "B".

It is a slow process to test, as I need to drive to the location, and use my Android device to hear the TTS output. Then I need to hunt down the TTS file created and copy it to my PC. Each road in the sand box test rig has multiple abbreviations separated by spaces and slashes. Since slash marks still do not produce a pause, the playback needs to be slowed down and listened to repeatedly until each abbreviation can be heard. So far I have not been able to find the TTS files in iPad. (Slashed have now been replaced with commas to help in this process.)

I have not yet added any suggestions from this thread to the test rig in the sand box, as I wanted to experiment with the initial submissions first. I will also test to see if commas create a pause, and if colons create pauses all the time or just after the word "Exit".

Now that I have a process, hopefully I can test the results of the remainder of the initial submissions soon. Once complete, I'll submit the remainder of the abbreviations in the list, and add those suggested in this tread.

The link to the file has changed to:
The
(I'll try to figure out how to to change the document without changing the link in the future. [DONE])

As a side note, GizmoGuy411 wrote:
For those interested in playing the TTS files on their PC, I've tried several audio players to attempt to slow down the playback without changing the pitch. Audacity had the capability, however the playback of the TTS files (in AAC file format) was distorted, even in normal play. I eventually gave up and just used Windows Media Player, which at least allowed me to slow down the playback. Since I use the Nuance Samantha voice in Waze, she was still understandable at slow speeds. Although she sounds like she should have gave up smoking many years ago.

[Update: If I append a dot MP2 or dot MP4 to the TTS file name, the WM player adjusts the pitch automatically as the speed is slowed down. Now she just sounds like she is off the cigs and on some bad drugs.]

[2012-08-20 Update: To hear the most current TTS results from your Waze client device, it may be necessary to clear your current TTS cache. Enter "cc@tts" without quotes in the Navigation search to clear the cache. Waze should reply with a "TTS cache has been cleared!" popup box. Then wait for "Searching ..." to end.]

If you would like to hear the TTS files on your Android device, I would recommend using the "ES File Explorer" app.: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... oid.pop&hl

Navigate to /sdcard/waze/tts/database/lucal_nuance_8_mp3_Samantha_Female or /sdcard/waze/tts/database/local_nuance_8_mp3_Tom_Male to see the files. The file path may be slightly different with different os verions.

The file explorer actually has an audio player that will play the files fine.

So far I have not found a way to see the files directly on an Apple iOS device.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Last edited by GizmoGuy411 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:04 pm, edited 14 times in total.

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
jenncard wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts about "one half", "three quarters", or (my personal favorite for the sheer ridiculous factor) "fifty one-hundredths"?
No.... :)
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
All suggestions from this forum (except for Jenn's last ones) are added to the list as of this post. Thanks everyone.

The letters of the alphabet were also added as uppercase letters and as uppercase capital letters in quotes. Additionally, the letters , "N", "E", "S", and "W" were also added with all combinations of upper and lower case, with single and double and with and without trailing periods.

I will add all the above to the sandbox test rig as soon I as get a chance.

As Jenn suggested (thanks Jenn), all the slashes have been removed in the rig and replaced with commas, so that after the next map updates, it should be easier to understand the TTS output. Currently it is a very slow process.

The list now includes results for the initially submitted abbreviations from "A" through "H".

In my above post, http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 96#p144296 i've updated the bottom "side note" to include another playback trick to keep the pitch understandable.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
jenncard wrote:Gizmo,
Looking at the spreadsheet, a few questions... particularly for those of us who might want to play along and help the effort.

* If the "Date added to WME" is null, can you confirm that none of them have been added yet?
* Have all the "1" values been added and we are just waiting for the laborious process of you testing them?

Propose adding an "Editor" column, in case others want to join in, and maybe something to indicate "non-standard but editor requested"?

J

PS I've set up my little test for a few possible variations to get Colorado, my fractional desires, as well as some different "special" cases...

Yes to both questions. I intended to use a key instead of an actual date for when an abbreviation was added to WME, however I may just scrap it and use a date anyway

I needed to add the various dates so I could track where I was in the process, since it involves multiple steps.

So you can see with all the nulls that I have a lot to test yet.

As far adding an "Editor" column, i'm not sure of your intended purpose, as I have already added suggestions as they come in. As far as your special fractional streets go, as long as you have a rig set up, just let me know the results of each and I'll add them to the list.

Once we have a decent list, I'll add it to the Wiki.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Last edited by GizmoGuy411 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
For those who would like to hear Samatha or Tom (plus others) convert text to speech, here is link to Nuance's interactive demo of their "Vocalizer for Netrork 5" product. Note that although the database is similar, it is not customized with their automotive product, or with Waze customizations.

Interactive TTS Demo: http://www.nuance.com/vocalizer5/flash/index.html

The sister product that Waze appears to use, is Nuance's "Vocalizer for Automotive" (no demo found), that has a preconfigured database customized for automotive use, and includes their Vocalizer Studio, which allows for a customization like several people in the various threads here about TTS have talked about; "it also allows customized text processing and the creation of user dictionaries for exception pronunciations."

The Nuance Language Portfolio for their Automotive Services, for the US English in the Americas, shows Samantha and Tom which Waze uses and Lisa who is not available in Waze. Check it out for other voices.

Edited 2012-05-09 to include additional relevant links to Nuance.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Last edited by GizmoGuy411 on Wed May 09, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 12 times in total.

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
CBenson wrote:Whats does "n/a" in the confirmed results column mean?
"n/a" = "not available"

Was just something I thought of fast to indicate that the abbreviation was tested, and no tts was available for the test abbreviation.

I'll add the explanation to the notes
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Last edited by GizmoGuy411 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile