Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by GizmoGuy411
CBenson wrote:Not that the info is too useful, but when there is no TTS available, does that mean the TTS engine tries to sound out the entry as a word or does it try to spell out the entry as letters?
Yes, it means that the TTS result is either the abbreviation pronounced as spelled or the letters spelled out. I had thought about differentiating which result was obtained, however like you said, I did not think it was important enough to keep track of.

If everyone thinks I should differentiate them, I would have to go back and find the results for the few "n/a" entries already entered.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. based Global Champ Emeritus
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes ARC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
(and past GLR RC)
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL3 & iPad "3"

Post by GizmoGuy411
jenncard wrote:
GizmoGuy411 wrote: So you can see with all the nulls that I have a lot to test yet.
(...)
As far adding an "Editor" column, i'm not sure of your intended purpose
Given how much you have yet to test, perhaps other editors would be willing/able to set up test rigs as well, to share the effort? Such as mine own? So I could conceivably test some of the outstanding options on your spreadsheet and could indicate which were being tested by me...
That would be great. Just let me know what you are testing, and I''ll add it to the list and find a way to mark it as being tested by someone else... prob just another column like you suggested, but call it
Tester or Reviewer.

Anything with a null in that column is fair game then. I was going to submit a few tonight, but too tired to start it.

I would give access to the spreadsheet to others, but I prefer to edit in Excel and upload it, so sharing the Google Doc is not a viable option.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
The list has been updated to include all the Canada Post abbreviations. More were added than I would have imagined, as less were in common with the USPS abbreviations than expected.

I have also submitted to WME, all the USPS official abbreviations for the U.S. States, Districts, Territories, Possessions, and the Canadian Provinces.

They have been submitted in both all upper case, and in leading upper case only.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
I've asked Jenn to help me listen to this file to better determine how one of the abbreviations is being pronounced. But after I sent her the request, I thought I would just asked here and let a few people listen to it and see what they think.

The abbreviation in question, "trway" is for "Throughway". To me is sounds more like "Trueway".

I use Windows Media Player to listen to the file. In my version, I right click within the player, and in "Enhancements", I select the "Play speed setttings" to slow down the speech without distorting the pitch.

I've renamed the dot TTS from my Android to a dot MP4 file to allow the player to have the above speed control.

Here is a list of the abbreviations in this file, so that you can better know the placement of what is being spoke:
strvnue / strm / str / strt / smt / sumit / ter / terr / trwy / trce / trak / trk / trfy / tunl

I've uploaded it here as a ZIP file, since the forum would not allow the dot TTS or dot MP4 file types.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Attachments

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
sketch wrote:Have you tried "Thwy" yet? That's how it's abbreviated up on the exit signs up in Baton Rouge.
"Thwy" is on the list to test, but has not been edited into WME yet. Hopefully I'll get to it in the next batch to add. Then wait another three weeks to be able to test them in the client.

I had to come up with a new scheme as I was running out of room in my sand box to add more roads to the rig. The roads were getting too close together to be able to select when in the field on my Android. So I shortened the older roads, and as I add new ones between them I'll make them longer so that a handle extends to be able to select on.

I'm sure the local Wazers are scratching their heads when this mess pops up on their screens!
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
The first batch of abbreviations from "Alley" to "West" entered on Jan 18th are now tested and noted in the "List". These were primarily the official USPS abbreviations. A few need to be retested in the Client, and a couple may have never been actually edited into WME.

Out of 676 entries to be tested, just under half are now edited into WME, and a third of the entries are now tested in the Client.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
jenncard wrote:Trwy = "Trueway", definitely.

Here's what I have set up to test so far (all variations on the letter E and then working backwards alphabetically):
Now that the initial entries are complete, a number of those you have set to test have already been tested.

With some your punctuation is different, so that will be a good alternative test. Given how hard it is to hear the results, you still may want to weed out the ones that are exactly the same. And however I show the abbreviation in the list for case is exactly the way I tested it.

I've used your numbering method on few new submissions to see how they work.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
Timbones wrote:It seems that "Cr" is being now pronounced as "Country Road", so what would be an acceptable abbreviation for "Crescent"?

via TapaTalk
I remember at least one abbreviation for Crescent is in the list. I'm mobile so I can't check right this second. Also I just checked CR earlier today and I could swear I swear I heard "County Road" not "Country Road".

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
jasonh300 wrote:Do you have "Trace" on your list? I drew in a new subdivision yesterday and two of the new street names were "Natchez Trace" and "Memphis Trace". I had no idea how to abbreviate them, so I just spelled them out.
Yep the confirmed abbreviation for "Trace" is "Trce", which is not much of a savings. I think I would just stick with "Trace".
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
WeeZer14 just found an issue in New York City with signs that say "NYC". Waze does not pronounce it properly at all.

I'm adding them all the list, however which of the following should we request:
a) NYC = "New York City"
b) NYC = "NYC" (the letters)
c) N.Y.C. = "New York City"
d) N.Y.C. = "NYC" (the letters)
e) other

I'm thinking b and c.

(As a side note, Excel says "New York City" for "NYC" and says the letters "N", "Y", "C" for "N.Y.C")
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile