Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

voice commands - great feature, not great implementation

Post by davecampbell
you're on to something - this single feature is what i have found the most attractive and at the same time the most frustrating.

the "UI" of your voice-control needs to be reviewed, in my opinion.

i suggest you record and listen to what people are actually saying to the app when it responds "i'm sorry - didn't catch that - try again...".

this is similar to 'planning' where to put sidewalks on college campuses: plant grass, wait 3 months, pave the dirt paths.

at any point in the voice menu, the command "options" should provide the user with the options available at that level.

same for "help". if you hear that request, provide some.

it's a limited domain of words - not a voice recognition challenge. you already do it with the pre-selected commands.

thanks - that would make using waze almost practical.
davecampbell

POSTER_ID:12119854

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
More than once I've requested their be visual feedback as to what can be said or other elements. On ios, I am thinking when a voice recognition feature is a active, you are disallowed by the OS to do anything else. I haven't seen an app put anything on the screen during that process. So wazes hands may be tied there.

At any menu except the first level, it does say, "please select" and lists off all the possible selections at that point. I wonder why they didn't implement this at the first level?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by CBenson
In Settings>Voice commands uncheck the enable box. (Or try activation by 3 finger tap only.) What device are you using?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by kpasgma
I would like to use the voice command, but it activating it is very difficult or random. I am on version 3.5.3.0 using an HTC EVO LTE Android 4.1.1 (stock).

If I have hand hover on, it will randomly turn on. It won't turn on with when I wave my hand, but seems to turn on if the lighting changes (like sun hits it).

If I try using three finger tap (with hand hover or tap only option) it won't activate. I even turned on the developer option in HTC setting to show finger taps and all three fingers show tapping. What happens is instead of activating the voice commands it highlights the road or location to navigate to.

I would like to use voice commands.

- John
kpasgma
Send a message

Post by Kuhlkatz
It actually gives a brief overview when it is initially activated, but never again after that.
I'd expect ASR to wait 2 or 3 seconds for you, and if you say nothing, then repeat that initial list.
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing

Post by Kuhlkatz
Using the hand hover mode with the phone near any moving body parts, like tucked between your legs on the seat will have that effect.
It uses the front facing camera to activate it. Disable it as CBenson mentioned, and only use the 3 finger activation method.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing

Post by mbze430
I am on a rooted SGS3... all I can say is that the voice command does work well for me IF I am using 3 finger tap... but I can tell you that almost 80% time, it doesn't understand what I tell it to do. It's almost useless.

The way I have mine setup is that I have a NFC tag on my Car Dock that enables bluetooth and car mode. my bluetooth has a mic built in to my car; although I am not sure if Waze's apps use it or the mic on the phone. Either way, it just doesn't understand what I am saying.

This needs to be fixed FAST! because I am telling you I am fiddling around with Waze while driving then using Navigation from Google
mbze430
Send a message

Post by rscott6666
Theres 2 other annoyances with voice commands.

First, it waits 1-2 seconds before listening, this means i have to watch the screen so i can know when to talk, kind of kills the usefulness of it.

Second, even though it says listening, that doesn't mean that the voice navigation part shuts up. In fact i had to wait a couple of minutes to give a voice command because every time it listened, it was actually talking, and the listening would hear the navigation and try to interpret turn left in a quarter mile. So then it kept on asking me to try speaking again. Only to have the voice nav portion start talking again.
rscott6666
Send a message