Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.
Post by Scorp42
Keep in mind, almost all of your posts right now include some form of "ask the user what happened" or "ask the user if road is bumpy or if it was an accident". The problem is, the more they pay attention to their phone or interface with the app - even via TTS - the less they are focusing on driving SAFELY. Something that every decision waze makes, should consider very seriously.

I'm not even a fan of the 'we detected a slowdown, are you in traffic" dialog. But at least that one only pops up when you are well below the average speed of the segment.
Scorp42
Send a message
iPhone 4 (AT&T GSM)
iOS 6.0.1 - nonjailbroken
Waze - 3.5.1.998

Post by Scorp42
Also there would be possible to figure out algorithm of registering severe accidents for example if phone feels very hard deceleration, but user is not responding to phones questions after following stopping of car. We could warn local community that PROBABLY accident took place.
There is some merit in this one perhaps, more so on remote roads[/quote]

Again I disagree. Again you are suggesting a User have to interact with the device. And again, Waze already has a mechanism in place for it. If there is a hard stop and the User doesn't touch his phone.. Waze is going to see that the averagecspeed for that segment just dropped drastically, and create a jam. WhY does this need to prompt the User for anything OR require extra code/development/and QA time for a feature we already have.

Every single thing mentioned in this thread so far is already handled by Waze learning average speeds!

As for portholes.. come on now.. locals are going to go around them.. non-Locals will likely drive around them also if they are paying attention to the road instead of pressing even more pop ups in their nav app.

I personally vote NO for every feature that has been suggested in this thread. Waze already handles it, and the have better things to prioritize.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Scorp42
Send a message
iPhone 4 (AT&T GSM)
Waze - 3.5.1.998

Post by Scorp42
If someone running waze (for an accelerometer to notice it) has an accident then yes, waze will already detect the traffic flow is running slower than the average, and create a jam.
Scorp42
Send a message
iPhone 4 (AT&T GSM)
Waze - 3.5.1.998

Post by Scorp42
If running Waze had any potential to contact authorities simply because I didn't dismiss a pop up in time.. I'd stop using it IMMEDIATELY.

When I drive, I don't talk on the phone. I don't text, I dint interact with Waze or any other app. To require me to do so is a safety concern. Not only tot me, but for every other driver and pedestrian along my route.

With that said, I think this thread was a good discussion, but I don't think I need to spend any more time in it. Cheers!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Scorp42
Send a message
iPhone 4 (AT&T GSM)
Waze - 3.5.1.998