Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Revision Control - Map Edits for URs

Post by witfits
Has there been discussions on this?

Here's an example case:

A UR pops up with ambiguous information.
1. The time stamp needs a decoder ring.
2. The user did a bad job of indicating what the problem is in favor of driving safely.

The UR date shows "yesterday".
One or more potentially applicable segments indicate they've been modified "today".

Questions:
1. There is a potential that two or more are editing at the same time. Does the WME provide any indication or exhibit any behavior when this occurs?
2. Is revision history available? Or is this called a "lock"? :arrow: facetious remark

When I see the potential of "two cooks". I simply walk away and see if the UR is still there tomorrow.

Also, I believe that some drivers will drop a UR with the intent to fix it upon access to WME. To me, another reason to leave it alone for a bit. If you think about it, these types of URs are exactly the ones editors are tempted to just "resolve" and keep going.

When they're unclear or look like somebody has jiggled something, try to let them sit for awhile.
witfits

POSTER_ID:11453774

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Maybe they will re-institute this feature, or something based on it some day. The current editor is still sending your current view information to the server.

AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by Bigbear3764
I disagree with leaving them in my area. We do have several editors active and we all keep our area clear of flags. It is easier to me to correct a few flags a day and stay ahead of the game. When the poster gets the resolved/unresolved email, they get who the editor is and the location they posted it. If they can't figure out on how to contact me or come on here to the forums to report the problem, hopefully someone else can post a better description. I have had a few contact me, and if I have cleared one by another editor, I have suggested leaving their user name in the description. If I see that, I'll leave it alone or send them a PM giving them a permalink to the UR in case they forgot where they dropped the pin.

If you are in a rural area, you can probably do like you said. Combing thru some rural areas in my state, I found ones that are nearly a year old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by CBenson
If I haven't driven the area recently enough to be sure that the roads are currently correct and if it is not obvious what the problem is then I wait for the UR to go orange before I close it.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by harling
Since Waze's plan is to protect high-value roads independent of editor locks, eventually (hopefully) locks will only be needed for special occasions such as "tricky" intersections--in which case some sort of annotation is probably helpful. However, I agree that annotating every locked segment individually would be excessive.

I believe Waze also intends to implement editor notes that can be pinned to the map--which could serve this very purpose.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by Mike-1323
I disagree with all of that.

A comment area should never be required for locking a segment. Most segments that I lock are high-value roads that inexperienced editors shouldn't be able to screw around with. I wouldn't want to have to enter that, even as a cut-and-paste, for nearly every road that I lock. Imagine doing that for every segment of the beltway and I-95, including express lanes, HOV lanes, and ramps. Even selecting multiple segments and locking them all at once it would be a major nuisance for no benefit.

Even worse is the expiring lock idea. Again, locking segments is mostly the high value roads that shouldn't be edited by just anybody and there's no reason to have those locks expire. Just imagine the emails or whatever notification you propose when I get one for every segment of the beltway and I-95, including express lanes, HOV lanes, and ramps. How many hundreds of notifications is that? I certainly don't want to have to deal with that. Especially if it happens at shortening intervals of time as you suggest.

Having an optional comment box associated with the segment, lock, or junction is a good idea. There are many instances where a junction or segment needs to have some explanation associated with them. Some editors are using landmarks for that now but having an official comment field has been a request for a while.
Mike-1323
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

[img]https:///L6ziL[/img] [img]https:///0NAfp[/img]

Required reading: Quick Start Guide, Best Practices, USA Road Types

Post by witfits
I didn't figure there was any sort of revision control.

If two editors are going at it or an editor did not close the UR, AND I see that the immediate area has been recently edited, I will still wait before I try to solve the issue (no more than an hour or so). My thinking is the other editor has made a change so I don't want to add additional variables which may break something else.
Further, concurring with CBenson, if I haven't driven the area recently and/or there is no other visual to provide clues, I'll leave it for another editor that may have better knowledge of the direct area.
witfits
Send a message

Post by witfits
I'm searching for more information. In the meantime, has there been any thought/discussion around providing details when one locks a segment?
witfits
Send a message

Post by witfits
Example Only. Not proposed for major roadway locks.
Gville Lee v002.JPG
(69.73 KiB) Downloaded 958 times
witfits
Send a message

Post by witfits
Of course, the obvious solution would be to push this to the back-end.
Locks v001.JPG
(46.56 KiB) Downloaded 922 times
witfits
Send a message