Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by witfits
I excluded the highest-value roadway type "freeway" for which I think I95, 495, and other interstates are categorized. So add ramps and other high-value roadways to the list that are and should be locked at level 5. Because it just is inappropriate for novice editors to try and manipulate those segments.

I'm thinking more along the lines of that "trouble-spot" that was locked 6 or 8 months ago for a very good reason. Or, that lengthy construction area that has finally settled down. Or, a "restricted turn might be allowed" that needs a new segment or a simple tweak.
The issue is not so much that an editor has to request an unlock, but that it's hard to find out what somebody was "guarding/thinking" when they issued the lock. I always wonder how many times the bit goes from one to zero and back again. Then I wonder how many novices just close the UR when they find they're unable to affect change.

Here's my experience. I run across a UR. I first see if I have enough information to make a worthy fix. Then I try to determine if it's a map/routing issue, an app issue, or simply an issue where the driver expects magic. I mean, I would like it if the app read my mind!
Then I check the immediate area to see if/what has been modified in the last week or so. Then I check to see if anything is locked. If the potential fix is, or is adjacent to a lock, I let it sit hoping the "locking" editor will address the UR. Then I hope somebody doesn't come along and just "Solved" the UR but not really fix it.

I track my changes and flag my locks with a reminder 10 days from the edit. Oh, and I'd love to check routing against changes, real-time (please add that to the wish list).
And yes, if I could, I would lock my entire area. But that may not be fun for everyone else. :D

It's just too easy to mutter bad things and call names so instead, when I see a blunder I send a PM to the editor gently trying to help them learn. Most respond positively and have expressed gratitude for pulling them up. Many have written back to me with complaints about locked segments though. Which precipitated these threads.
witfits
Send a message