These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Hazards reporting timing

Post by thefatveganchef
Hello, I have a question about the hazards reporting timing. Expecially when reporting police traps. It seems to be putting them after where they actually are. It seems they are putting it when you actually submit them and not when you actually click on the first button to the menu to click on the actual report type. For a lot of states in the US you shouldn't be fiddling with your phone while driving, so I have been reporting after I pass the police officer, this should be taken into account and Waze should be reporting the police trap back x*speed. I know it won't be a perfect mark because people are going to start reporting it at different intervals, but at least it may be more accurate. If this is already built in, it may need to be revisited. There was a police report I reported when I was on a highway and I had to take the next exit. It ended up putting the marker on the wrong road.
thefatveganchef

POSTER_ID:17224915

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
It does post it at the location when you tape the Report button. (It says location and time saved on the screen when you tap the report button.)

You can then save the report later. You are correct that this could get you caught for touching your phone while driving. It may be worthwhile for them to consider building in a static time or distance delay, allowing drivers to post the report after passing, but only for police I think.

With the advent now of voice-activated traffic jam reporting in the current iPhone beta, it is only a matter of time until this is expanded to other report types. And then we can report hands-free! :)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
ChezGuru wrote:The most important thing of reporting a Hazard is that... The report MUST be kept but until another user report it as "NOT THERE".

I have passed several times where there is a Hazard, I reported... and a few minutes later... my notification is no longer there...

Is this to help users to keep reporting?
First off, way to wake up a thread that is over a year old. There are more recent threads on this topic.

All reports have an automatic time out feature, it is certainly longer than a few minutes. It also takes more than one user hitting "not there" to remove a report from the system. Each "not there" shortens the time to live of the report (and each thanks extends it).
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by bgodette
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:With the advent now of voice-activated traffic jam reporting in the current iPhone beta, it is only a matter of time until this is expanded to other report types. And then we can report hands-free! :)
Well other than waving your hand in front of your iPhone and saying "these are not the 'droids you are looking for."
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by ChezGuru
The most important thing of reporting a Hazard is that... The report MUST be kept but until another user report it as "NOT THERE".

I have passed several times where there is a Hazard, I reported... and a few minutes later... my notification is no longer there...

Is this to help users to keep reporting?
ChezGuru
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
I want to say I remember someone mentioning in the Android beta thread that the report hazard function was now placing the pin at the submit and not the report location.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator