New Android Beta Version - 1.8.99.106

Important messages to community users. This forum is locked (waze staff only).

Moderator: Unholy

Re: New Android Beta Version - 1.8.99.106

Postby muchski » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:32 pm

I've noticed that they rearranged the list of platforms in updated beta references, and while it looks like we got the second most recent update (iphone first of course), .106 was an incremental bug fix which was helpful but didnt intro the hyper social features most other platforms have, and we are still in 1.8.xx tree as opposed to 1.9.xx.

No major complaints here but I just wanted to highlight that and maybe this recent reshuffling is a sign of a imminent update? Man I am a loser!
Area Manager - Winnipeg, Canada| Xperia X10 | HTC Desire
muchski

Postby muchski » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:20 am

Well they just submitted new iPhone app to appstore and said that would take about ten days and we would see new Android version soon after that. Man I wonder what the actual breakdown of platforms is for Waze. I can't believe there are that many less Android users that we will get an upgrade (who knows if it will be the full deal or have the must have new features missing) after two major iPhone releases. :(

Oh well hopefully in next two weeks New Android release, I was hoping any day now but at least there is something more tangible!
Area Manager - Winnipeg, Canada| Xperia X10 | HTC Desire
muchski

Postby FreeMan12 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:43 am

I must be pretty special. The client I've got reports 1.9.00.000, and it has since I signed up for waze 2ish weeks ago. I think I came across it on AppBrain.com, if that makes any difference or not. I've been puzzled why this post was here and so active...

Running on HTC Incredible stock 2.1
Samsung Galaxy S5 w/root

Indiana
FreeMan12

Postby grebble » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:31 am

FreeMan12 wrote:I must be pretty special. The client I've got reports 1.9.00.000, and it has since I signed up for waze 2ish weeks ago. I think I came across it on AppBrain.com, if that makes any difference or not. I've been puzzled why this post was here and so active...

The latest version available on the Android market is 1.9.00.000. However that is still unstable and is causing crashes for many users. Most of the discussion around the stability of the client was started before 1.9 was released and was being discussed in this thread, and it's just carried on. I too was hoping 'any day now' would have been quicker than 2 weeks away.

I also get irritated about how the iPhone is given priority over everything else when it comes to upgrades. It's not just Waze, it's many other companies too. I'm very anti-iPhone (I think it's simply overpriced, overrated and over-loved, but don't get me started on that), but with Android rapidly gaining market share and overtaking the iPhone in some markets, things may change in the future.
Area manager: East Northants, West Cambs and Peterborough, UK
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.0.4), Waze v3.0.2.8
grebble

Postby FreeMan12 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:50 am

grebble wrote:The latest version available on the Android market is 1.9.00.000. However that is still unstable and is causing crashes for many users. Most of the discussion around the stability of the client was started before 1.9 was released and was being discussed in this thread, and it's just carried on. I too was hoping 'any day now' would have been quicker than 2 weeks away.

Ahhh, that explains it. I haven't read through the entire thread, but the only instability I've noticed has been a phone re-boot if I make/receive a call while waze is running. This was noted in another thread, and I've got a debug log ready to send in to the devs. We just took a trip from Indiana to Washington, DC, and didn't experience any shut downs with waze running the whole way.

Thanks for the insight!

I also get irritated about how the iPhone is given priority over everything else when it comes to upgrades. It's not just Waze, it's many other companies too. I'm very anti-iPhone (I think it's simply overpriced, overrated and over-loved, but don't get me started on that), but with Android rapidly gaining market share and overtaking the iPhone in some markets, things may change in the future.

ditto.
Samsung Galaxy S5 w/root

Indiana
FreeMan12

Postby StefanSarzio » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:33 am

I don't have that problem with any other company.

I'm down to one star on the market for waze. The next step will be hitting the deinstall button 'any day now'.
StefanSarzio

Postby eshabtai » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:41 pm

We are working hard on our next Android version which is currently in internal beta. We are closing all the gaps so this version will have all the new features as in the iPhone one.

In addition we have improved the integration with the Android OS, so expect native input entry (full compatibility with swype, speech to text, etc) and some more.

As for stability, please understand that there are many different devices with many different OS versions some official some custom and so it's hard to get it right for everyone. We are testing with various devices internally to make sure it works perfectly and stable but need your help to figure out the remaining issues.

No final ETA yet for public beta but should be pretty soon.

Ehud
eshabtai
Waze Management
Waze Management

Postby grebble » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:10 pm

eshabtai wrote:We are testing with various devices internally to make sure it works perfectly and stable but need your help to figure out the remaining issues.

...And that is indeed the point of a public beta. :) Thanks for the update Ehud. I have my own 'test script' which I will run with once the update is released, so I can see how it works from my point of view. Top of my priority list is stability.
grebble

Postby mortuus » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:35 pm

Something is wrong for me with this new version, when i enter program i cant access the menu, nothing happens when i press it, also icant zoom in or out as i dont see the buttons, i have uninstalled and try again same again, worked perfect previous version now the program is wrecked..
HTC Desire - Sweden, Malmö
mortuus

Postby grebble » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:39 pm

mortuus wrote:Something is wrong for me with this new version, when i enter program i cant access the menu, nothing happens when i press it, also icant zoom in or out as i dont see the buttons, i have uninstalled and try again same again, worked perfect previous version now the program is wrecked..

You'll probably get a better response if you contact Waze directly regarding that issue. Send an e-mail to alpha@waze.com.
grebble

PreviousNext

Return to Official announcements