New Android Beta Version - 1.8.99.106

Important messages to community users. This forum is locked (waze staff only).

Moderator: Unholy

Re: New Android Beta Version - 1.8.99.106

Postby DAmaNIac » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:19 pm

I have two phones, one is the Samsung Galaxy with Android 1.6 and the second is the Motorola Milestone with Android 2.1 (v.36). Both show an very unstable behaviour, so I won't blame it on the phone(s) itself.
I've been using Waze for several month now and I was hoping to get a working version until Friday because I have another trip to an region which is not good covered yet. Unfortunately I already consider this a lost opportunity because I know that the app will crash and I will loose a lot of data and edit rights along the road because it's quite difficult to remove the battery while driving, reboot the phone and start the software...

But as they said today in their blog... they are big Apple lovers, so what do you expect :|
DAmaNIac

Postby myld » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:07 pm

I don't recognize that description at all. I've used waze quite intensively for about a month, mostly just in "viewing mode" while driving, but also for bulldozing new roads and for navigation to an address. So far I've only had one single crash.

I'm using HTC Desire with Android 2.2 now (2.1 the first weeks). Waze has been version 1.9.0.0 all the time (downloaded from the Market).

My biggest issue is the slow update of drives from the phone to cartouche, and from cartouche edits to live map and to phone (but that's off topic - sorry).
myld

Postby DAmaNIac » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:32 am

Sad to see users quitting this app, however it's quite understandable. I haven't touched Cartouche for a few weeks because it became annoyingly unusable and there surely was no way of communicating the issues from Waze.
As for the Android app, it just seems like the dirty little stepchild of the iPhone app... No beta version coming soon, no real issues fixed like the always annoying phone freeze. Who cares about e.g. FB integration if the application freezes
a) just from running
b) when connected to the power plug in the car
c) when put into the car mount
d) just by starting it
Especially with the free Android environment where you can install freely without the market and have total access to the data on the sd card, I'm sure a lot of users are willing to try a new beta or alpha to help improve the software. So far I only remember one beta version and one survey. That was a good sign but nothing came after this... :(

I don't mind when an alpha version crashes, but come one, it's version 1.9 from the market and even this has issues. Have you ever tried to user your finger and scroll the map? No? Better not do so as the app will freeze the phone. If you use the few seconds you have to kill the app with a task manager you will still have to reboot your phone, as at least on my MS the sd card became unreadable (and yes, I've tried a few)

Why not offer nightly builds, at least then you get some log files with progress and not the same errors over and over again.

If you want this to be a community based service, just let the community help you.
DAmaNIac

Postby StefanSarzio » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:08 pm

I have no control over Waze, too.

So I decided to opt for the $0 Google Navigation which does not only the navigation part much better, but also the traffic information better than Waze does - plus Trapster, which does the speed trap part much better than Waze does...that's additional $0.

Plus I'm getting rid of the app with the worst support on Android that I've had.

Bye Waze, it has been a nice idea.
StefanSarzio

Postby ozhound » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:26 am

StefanSarzio wrote:I don't have that problem with any other company.

I'm down to one star on the market for waze. The next step will be hitting the deinstall button 'any day now'.

You don't pay for it, you can always go and pay a subscription or once on $100 for a Nav software that you have not input of control over.

or you can wait for the dev's to sort the problems out.
ozhound

Postby muchski » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:40 am

Great news! Can't wait for Version 2.0! The name alone sounds like it will be something monumental! Hopefully Beta is out before month's end! :)
muchski

Postby grebble » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:39 pm

mortuus wrote:Something is wrong for me with this new version, when i enter program i cant access the menu, nothing happens when i press it, also icant zoom in or out as i dont see the buttons, i have uninstalled and try again same again, worked perfect previous version now the program is wrecked..

You'll probably get a better response if you contact Waze directly regarding that issue. Send an e-mail to alpha@waze.com.
grebble

Postby mortuus » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:35 pm

Something is wrong for me with this new version, when i enter program i cant access the menu, nothing happens when i press it, also icant zoom in or out as i dont see the buttons, i have uninstalled and try again same again, worked perfect previous version now the program is wrecked..
mortuus

Postby grebble » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:10 pm

eshabtai wrote:We are testing with various devices internally to make sure it works perfectly and stable but need your help to figure out the remaining issues.

...And that is indeed the point of a public beta. :) Thanks for the update Ehud. I have my own 'test script' which I will run with once the update is released, so I can see how it works from my point of view. Top of my priority list is stability.
grebble

Postby eshabtai » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:41 pm

We are working hard on our next Android version which is currently in internal beta. We are closing all the gaps so this version will have all the new features as in the iPhone one.

In addition we have improved the integration with the Android OS, so expect native input entry (full compatibility with swype, speech to text, etc) and some more.

As for stability, please understand that there are many different devices with many different OS versions some official some custom and so it's hard to get it right for everyone. We are testing with various devices internally to make sure it works perfectly and stable but need your help to figure out the remaining issues.

No final ETA yet for public beta but should be pretty soon.

Ehud
eshabtai
Waze Management
Waze Management

PreviousNext

Return to Official announcements