Update Request Common Issues

Post by troyv
I am wanting to add to the wiki for the 'Update Requests in Waze Map Editor' page to cover some common issues that aren't covered in the existing page. But unfortunately, I am unable to come up with any answers on those issues. So I am asking, what are the solutions to these common issues:

;Client Issues (GPS errors, Performance, etc..)
:TBD
;Wrong Location of Destinations
;Wrong Driving Direction without a User Route

Basically, when should we mark as 'solved' vs. 'not identified'. Are there any other actions an editor needs to take with these issues. I am also sure there are other common issues not covered by this list, so it may need to be expanded.
troyv

POSTER_ID:5022425

Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I am trying to understand your proposal. Do you recommend we modify this page http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Upda ... Map_Editor to include a link to the page you showed? I assume that is to provide related background information?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
If you can determine what is wrong with the map based on what you see currently on the map and with the user reported information, then correct it on the map and mark it fixed. If not then you have to consider leaving it for someone else to determine, or mark it as not identified. I think the current Wiki says that.

Are you asking some other question?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
OK. I have gone through the Wiki and updated the two articles on the automated map problems and the user generated update requests. I have cross linked the articles to each other to ensure users understand they are different types of issues and to help people find them. I have also created a number of internal Wiki redirects to enable people to find either list with a number of different search terms.

I would appreciate if anyone can think of a search term to find either of these two articles that do not reach them, please report them so we can create a redirect for them to help less experienced Wiki searchers. ;)
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
jemay wrote:MP, UR, "Map problem", "User Reported Problem".
These are a few that I thought of :)
PERFECT Feedback! Fixed!

Unfortunately our Wiki is not smart enough to look for the same entry with and without the plural element, so we have to remember to add all possible combinations of how a user might search for something. The acronyms I had not considered before you mentioned them, but have them now.

If anyone else can think of how they might look up these two elements and don't find them please let me know. That goes for ANY other topic as well; we have a forum topic if anyone thinks of any term not found.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
jasonh300 wrote:UR stands for Update Request.
Yes it is thanks to jemay's suggestion. I also have it in the glossary.
AndyPoms wrote:What about "Map Issue"? That is what the button in the client is labeled.
Added. It was present on the Update Request page, but the Wiki could not see it so that is why we need to create all these redirects for the terms. I also added it to the glossary.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
jemay wrote:Term = Glossary?
Agreed. Fixed. Try again. ;)

I am also working on adding terms not already in there that some up a lot and providing links to Wiki articles that provide more detail to each one. We can start a separate Wiki thread on the Glossary if desired.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
tonestertm wrote:I just wanted to mention that the Update Request page could use a quick update, since the new editor no longer takes us immediately to the zoomed view...
Thanks for pointing it out and noting it here! I have updated that page.

{edited}
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by tonestertm
I just wanted to mention that the Update Request page could use a quick update, since the new editor no longer takes us immediately to the zoomed view...
When you first click on an Update Request pin, the map display will automatically center on the pin and zoom in to an appropriate level.
Not sure I'm up for this edit, (screenshot involved) or I'd try it myself.

And thanks for all the Wiki work, and especially this and the MP page, which spell things out pretty clearly.

Cheers!
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/y7f2gsiomkpxbe6/CA_SM_Rocket_Shear_Alpha_50.png?dl=0
ARC for SW Region, USA
Global Champ, US Local Champ
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!

Post by troyv
AndyPoms wrote:Some of that is already covered in the FAQ.
So this is the only FAQ that I find relevant:

What do I do when Waze has my destination or address at the wrong location

Although interesting, the answer is more user oriented than editor oriented, and it still doesn't answer the question as to how to mark the Update Request. Can we at least put a link to that FAQ in the Update Request wiki page?

I think it would be beneficial to consolidate how to handle update requests and map problems to one page.
troyv
Send a message