Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by GizmoGuy411
harling wrote:Here's a TTS issue that I noticed the other day.

We have a "Summer St" in town. TTS correctly pronounces it "summer street". Off of that street is a court, named "Summer St Ct". TTS pronounces it as "summer saint court". Wait, what?

There are a lot of roads around here for which "St" and other abbreviations need to be pronounced the same regardless of position. I hadn't noticed this before because these are generally small side-streets not used for through-traffic, but people do live on them, and I can think of at least half a dozen examples off the top of my head in my own small town alone. (Smith St Ct off of Smith St, King St Ct off of King St, etc...)
Oh great. Will have to create some examples to add for positional testing now.

This probably means other abbreviations are going to be conditional on position too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. based Global Champ Emeritus
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes ARC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
(and past GLR RC)
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL3 & iPad "3"

Post by GizmoGuy411
Based on harling's and jasonh300's last posts, I think our catch phrase when this is all said and done is going to have to be, "When in doubt, spell it out!" At least until we get an emulator.

Maybe that should be added to the Wiki now as the first rule of thumb for the use of abbreviations in WME.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
harling wrote:At present, the text on the display matches the signage, which I think is the best arrangement.
+1
harling wrote:Personally, I think it would be better for 'St.' to be "saint" anywhere, and "St" to be "street anywhere.
+1
harling wrote:But if the decision comes down that these abbreviations will remain positional as well as lexical, I'll start spelling them out.
+1
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
I think CBenson also caught part of this "Saint" and "Street" issue in the past.

Since case has not seemed to be important based on our test results so far, I've only added a subset of those possibilities to the list.

For the use or not of a period in the abbreviation, I think I've add all possibilities.

Here are the iterations added to the list and test rig:
st middle st
St middle St
st middle st.
St middle St.
st. middle st
St. middle St
st. middle st.
St. middle St.
st st st
St St St
st st st
st st st.
st st. st.
st st. st
st st. st.
st. st st
st. st st.
st. st. st
st. st. st.

In each case we are hoping for "st" to say "street" and "st." to say "saint".
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Last edited by GizmoGuy411 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
sketch wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I thought we decided long(er) ago that differentiation should be with the period or without. Positional should make no difference. St=street, St.=saint, Dr=drive, Dr.=Drive, etc. Why make it more complicated?
No problem. I probably wasn't following at that time. Just looking to get out of a bunch of future edits :P
But just think of all the points you will get!
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
The first batch of TTS abbreviation tests from yesterday's map updates have been tested.

This completed a third more of the 700 abbreviations to be tested.

As a summary of the results with this batch, it was learned that the letters of the alphabet can be represented in nearly every combination of upper and lower case, with and without any puncutaion and they will be promounced as letters.

The letters N, E, S, and W are the exceptions, however a particular combination of puncution will allow them to be promounced as letters instead of the cardnial directions of North, East, South and West. This will allow names such as "North N Street".

Since I did not correctly indentify which test segment in the rig produced which results, I will need to retest them in the field. Jenncard as confirmed this too with her test rig, and may have the answer tomorrow.

Unfortuneatly, no two letter abbreviations could be idendified for the states and provinces, territories, etc., in North America, except for "Ny" for New York. ("NY" says "en wye") We will have to petition Waze to add these.

Curiously while various capitalization and puncutuation combinations could not pronounce the states, they did impact how the two letter abbreviations where either pronounced as word or as letters. More details as the test segments are retested.

Unfortuneatly, several popular abbreviations failed, such as for Martin Luther King, Saint, and Senior. Positional tests for Saint are in the test rig, but will not be available until the next map update.

A few other abbreviations suggested by CBenson from the "Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices" were recognized.

Jenncard has many of the remaining third to be tested in her rig, plus a number of additional tests which we will merge once we have time to test them and compare our results.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
A few of jenncard's results were added to the list a couple of days ago. I had not announced it as I had hoped to complete the addition of all of her tests yesterday. However my schedule did not allow it, as some additional field testing is necessary to determine why a few of her results differ from mine.

GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
AndyPoms wrote:I have several exits here in CT that say "N. Y. City"... I was listening closely today and I got "North Why City" through the TTS... Without me testing 75 variations, does anyone know a way to keep some form of "N. Y." (NY, N.Y., etc) for the display and get it to read "New York" in the TTS?

Thanks for your help,
Andrew
Look at the abbreviation list linked in the lead post of this thread. I think it has been updated to include the abbreviation for New York that works.

GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
AndyPoms wrote:
GizmoGuy411 wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:I have several exits here in CT that say "N. Y. City"... I was listening closely today and I got "North Why City" through the TTS... Without me testing 75 variations, does anyone know a way to keep some form of "N. Y." (NY, N.Y., etc) for the display and get it to read "New York" in the TTS?

Thanks for your help,
Andrew
Look at the abbreviation list linked in the lead post of this thread. I think it has been updated to include the abbreviation for New York that works.

For New York the doc says:

New York NY CU 2012-02-19 n/a. Says the letters 2012-03-22 GizmoGuy411 A
New York Ny CU 2012-02-19 New York 2012-03-22 GizmoGuy411 R

If I read that correctly, "NY" says "enn why" (and it should be Added) and "Ny" says "New York" but the recommendation is to Remove it?

The other thing I noticed while looking at the State List (and if I'm reading this wrong, please let me know) is that you want to add "Ct" to be "Connecticut" instead of "court" which is currently does. Being from Connecticut, we have many roads named "Something Court" and the USPS abbreviation is "Ct" for "Court" (but it's also missing from the "C" section of the list...
Since I am mobile at the moment I can't answer in sufficient detail.

We are looking for all the state abbreviations to be two letter abbreviations in caps and no periods.

So "Ct" would be "court" and "CT" would be the state.

As far as New York goes I don't think you should use the current working abbreviation.

So until the TTS issues are addressed , my best advice at the moment is "when in doubt, spell it out"!

GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
DonJ2 wrote:Does TTS expand "Mem" or "MEM" to "Memorial"?
Look in the list linked in the lead post to see if we are testing for it, and if so, if we have results yet.

I'll check too when I have time and computer access.

It will be added to list for testing if not there now.

GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile