Winnipeg and Manitoba Wazers unite!

Post by muchski
Hey everyone! I have noticed quite a bit of people using waze in our fantastic province and thought I'd start a subthread here for anything relating to Waze in 'Toba!

I have created a facebook group a while ago that you are also most welcome to join:
search "winnipeg waze"

Most importantly get as involved as you can! That is the only way we will achieve critical mass here! ---Turn on waze whenever you drive, it will collect invaluable data and provide real time traffic without any effort on the users part!

-And if you see a road missing from the map record a new path, but only do so once, otherwise a million red recorded roads show up on the cartouche aka waze map editor

-Use cartouche to edit road names, geometry, and to connect the roads together which is necessary for navigation to work!

WE CAN DO IT! YOU CAN HELP!
muchski

POSTER_ID:13264

Send a message
Area Manager - Winnipeg, Canada| Xperia X10 | HTC Desire

Post by muchski
Hey nice to hear from you!

Yeah the navigation is not quite ready for prime time in areas that haven't been fully edited yet but simply driving with Waze on helps tons! Like you say, sometime feels like a ghost town sometimes but its encouraging to see lots of new users all the time and I have seen quite a few people on although it is not as consistant as we would like it for highly usable traffic info.

My goal is to edit all of Winnipeg and I have done approximately 20 percent of the city so far and will continue chipping away at it until it is done. Which areas of downtown are giving you problems? I can prioritize those. You can also report missing turns, incorrect driving instructions, missing roads etc within the app then I can direct my attention to those spots. Another thing you can do to help is to promote, promote, and promote some more. Get your friends and families using it and we will be sure to grow it by word of mouth. Despite not having live traffice everywhere the photo radar reminders are super useful as would be reports of police traps, accidents, etc. :)

Thanks for your help! Every little bit counts!
muchski
Send a message

Post by muchski
Hey umbrau!

I somehow missed your reply here. I will try to edit the sections of waze you described and hopefully that clears up your navigation. The problem is that with a "virgin" map, which has not been edited in that area, if roads aren't connected, turns allowed etc, then waze will helter skelter and connect the dots as best as it can. Waze recently announced $25 million in new funding and plans to overhaul the map editor or cartouche to make it easier to use. If you are interested in editing roads you could go to the live map link above and then hit update map. There is a bit of a learning curve but the community wiki page has lots of good tips http://www.waze.com/wiki/

Basic jist of it is Ctrl + Clicking to select roads, inputting street names with St for street, Ave for Ave (no period), make sure city says Winnipeg and country says Canada. If one way street, setting direction sometime takes a while to get use to (as it just has arrows <- and -> which do funky things for vertical streets, or angled avenues. You also have to click on intersections to enable all turns or to block turns. It sounds kind of confusing but you can get the hang of it before you know it!
muchski
Send a message

Post by muchski
Hey umbrau44 I should've subscribed to this thread, sorry for missing your post! Yeah definitely lots of envy towards iPhone version 2.0. Tons of cool features. You can join the Winnipeg Waze group from the Dashboard I believe. There is a new groups link bottom right of the page.

I'm glad that the BB version has progressed pretty quickly since its first release. It took quite a long time to port the code over, but it seems development has sped up. Tons of ppl with GPS equipped BBs out there, and it's a big boom to the Waze community.

We've been off to a slow start in Winnipeg, but I feel that we are having more and more devoted users like yourself, Mike, fritzy, meguska, worldcoast, etc. and that's really what you need, people to use it consistently. I've seen tons of people come and go - it's a catch 22 because most people would use it if there were more people, but until you have people sticking around using it consistently, you won't reach that critical mass! So every user is crucial, because it provides more incentive to keep using it yourself! So best way to grow our community is word of mouth, telling friends and family etc. I've been trying to get curve or hot103 to plug it, but I think I need to remind them a few more times. :)

Which area of town are you in mostly? I can edit the roads there (naming, connecting, changing road type, etc) to make your experience a little nicer. My goal is to label all the roads in the city. I've covered a big strip from north perimeter basically main to henderson, and up to mcphillips on the west and gateway on east in some parts, going all the way down to downtown, where i am working now. If you have any questions or ideas just give me a shout!

Thanks!
muchski
Send a message

Post by muchski
Sadly Waze 2.0 with the new groups feature is not yet available to Android (but came to iPhone about a week ago) but fortunately worldcoast (one of the frequent Wazers in Winnipeg) has created a Winnipeg Waze group. If you are using iPhone please join the group now and if you are running Android I hear by end of August 2010 we should have the major new version 2.0. Other platforms will be getting 2.0 in the coming weeks after that but it appears iPhone is the test platform for now and new versions get ported to other platforms once they are thoroughly tested.

I've been really impressed, seen about a dozen brand new users in the past week or so, so please keep up the momentum and remember all you really have to do is turn Waze on when you commute and traffic data will be automatically calculated and shared for everyone benefit. If you wanna be more active please report police traps, accidents, construction, etc and if you are super eager please help me slowly chip away at the big map editing project for our great 'Peg City' which is moving along swiftly. PM me any questions or email winnipegwaze@gmail.com or ask on the wall of the Winnipeg Waze facebook group!
muchski
Send a message

Post by kurzz
I would say most problems for me occur when it doesn't know what restrictions are at some intersections. The most notable is the north-bound Main and Portage intersection, which has a no-left turn, and again on Higgins and Main.

Also some neighbourhoods have no streets. Do you know if Waze gets its maps from another source like Google or does it rely on users to create the roads?
:)
kurzz
Send a message

Post by kurzz
Hi I just found out about Waze from a video podcast called Geekbeat.tv

Anyway, I live in the south east area of Winnipeg and often commute through downtown.The routes are often incorrect, absurd and unreliable so I would have to rely on another GPS for serious driving but I really hope Waze improves soon and use it just for fun. I don't plan to be as active as editing maps but I do hope to have it always on when I drive and report things. It's a little bit disheartening to see so few Winnipeg wazers...feels like a ghost town lol.
kurzz
Send a message

Post by james_8970
I was poking my head around different areas of the forum today and came across this thread that pertained to your issueumbrau44.
http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34220
Since the issue pertains to the Andriod app itself and not the map, I'm going to make all the URs that you submitted as fixed, even though the problem will persist for the time being.
James
james_8970
Send a message
Country Manager for Canada

Post by james_8970
Have you traveled that way in the past few weeks? If so, was the issue resolved? Just want to know so that I can address the UR currently sitting in the editor. Hate to leave issues unfixed :p
James
james_8970
Send a message

Post by james_8970
I'm not sure what you could be experiencing. There were a few errors as far as the one way divided highway being declared as a two-way in 2 spots and an addition road over another road but nothing like what you're describing. See if the errors that I fixed will address your issue, otherwise we could try deleting that portion of the highway and then recreating it. I did not see any broken links and doubt what I changed will fix your issue, but I'd rather verify again than delete the highway and its associated data.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
james_8970
Send a message