Read the forum posting instructions.

If your country has a dedicated forum for unlocks or update requests. See this thread for details first.
Post by Wajo357
orbitc wrote:
Wajo357 wrote:I'm not sure when this highway was named to "SR", but not only should we not use "SR" for "State Route" (except for ramps), but I believe this is a State Hwy, not a State Rte. Can anyone confirm?
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... 1,67369762
Take a look at this:
"New York State Route 100 (NY 100) is a major north–south state highway in Westchester County, New York, in the United States. It begins parallel to Interstate 87 (I-87) at a junction with the Cross County Parkway in the city of Yonkers and runs through most of the length of the county via the city of White Plains up to U.S. Route 202 (US 202) in the town of Somers just south of the county line with Putnam County. NY 100 was designated as part of the 1930 renumbering of state highways in New York. Prior to becoming a state road, various sections of NY 100 were part of several important early roads in the county."
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NY_100
Ok.. so we change it to "State Rte"?
Wajo357
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
Area Manager: New York / New Jersey (in USA)

Post by Wajo357
ncc1701v wrote:
WeeeZer14 wrote:Take a look around other parts of NY state to see what standard they have gone with or look in the New York forum under the US sub-forum.
Here's the relevant text on NY naming: https://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/To_ ... ghway_work
Interesting that the name for your highways are using the shorter nomenclature typically used for ramps instead of the recommended naming on the main wiki page discussing road names. Is there a reason you guys are taking this approach?
Wajo357
Send a message

Post by Wajo357
Spil wrote:
Wajo357 wrote:Interesting that the name for your highways are using the shorter nomenclature typically used for ramps instead of the recommended naming on the main wiki page discussing road names. Is there a reason you guys are taking this approach?
Interesting that you should ask that ;) ... I just posted something about this last night in another thread (here):
Spil wrote:
ncc1701v wrote:and where do you come down on "SR-xx" vs "State Hwy xx" (on the main road, not ramps)? Is the Road Naming wiki page considered authoritative? Or rather, is it considered authoritative by a majority? :-)
"State Route" is preferred over "State Highway" by New Yorkers pretty much everywhere that I've been in the state. The decision to go with "SR-##" rather than "State Hwy ##" was primarily to reflect this preference, and go with the option that took up the least real estate on the screen while still having the TTS call them out as "State Route ##". The ones that you see that are still "State Hwy ##" are named that way because that's how they came in from the basemap import, and they haven't been worked over thoroughly by someone following the current NY guidelines since the change to "SR-##".
AndyPoms wrote:I'd like to add that there is a push to try to get Waze to support things like NY-## which would display on the client as "NY-##", but TTS would say "Route ##" for NY, but "TX-##" would become "Highway ##" in TTS.
Personally, I would love to be able to use "NY-##" as the name and still hear "State Route ##" on the TTS, and if Waze ever does decide to act on that increasingly popular request, I'll be among the first to push for the switch to "NY-##". Until then, however, "SR-##" best represents the best compromise between popular usage and the need to conserve space on the screen. :?
I guess what I'm trying to ask, is why not just follow the wiki?
http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Road ... e_Highways

Is it just a matter of saving space? Because I think most drivers would be a little confused over what SR is and maybe try to edit it to NY or something else.
Wajo357
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
Be careful with changing things to not be ramps. In some situations a ramp is the only way to force the client to give a navigation instruction. So if you have a fork and only one is a ramp, you may only get an instruction when you go on the ramp and Waze will remain absolutely silent if you go the other way. And no, having a different name won't help.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator

Post by WeeeZer14
Wajo357 wrote:
WeeeZer14 wrote:Be careful with changing things to not be ramps. In some situations a ramp is the only way to force the client to give a navigation instruction. So if you have a fork and only one is a ramp, you may only get an instruction when you go on the ramp and Waze will remain absolutely silent if you go the other way. And no, having a different name won't help.
Exactly... that is why I'm trying to undo that and make sure it does give the proper voice navigation to both right & left.
Maybe I misunderstood a few of the examples then. I'll try to take a look again later this afternoon.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)

Post by WeeeZer14
1.) Turn restricted/allowed as I think they need to be. Double check me.

2.) Multiple turns restricted.

3.) Turn restricted.

4.) Turn restricted.

5.) Turn enabled.

6.) Turn enabled.

7.) Proper exit names applied to this and downstream ramps including removing names from some. I also tweaked the ramp geometry a bit to make the splits clear and obvious.

8.) We should not go from ramp to street to ramp. It will break long distance routing. If the only problem is "keep right" vs. "exit right", that is too minor to worry about.

9.) I can't find the specific segment you are talking about. That segment ID isn't in the view you permalinked.

10.) I updated the split to what I know works. A few of us Champs are discussing and testing if we need to go this far to ensure instructions. In my experience, I think we do. (I also tweaked some of your geometry. It doesn't need to be perfect by any means, but your curves should be a little more smooth ;) )

I can guess what you meant for #9, but I'll let you confirm and look at what I did for #10 before doing anything else ;)
WeeeZer14
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
I'll start with the easy one... the "To" vs. "to". You are right, it should be lower case. And that is what I typed. The problem is a new "feature" of the editor that capitalizes the first letter of any street name. We've told the developers that the word "to" should be exempt and they agree and it will be fixed in a later version. It is already fixed in a beta version the Champs have access to, and I've corrected it from there. So be careful with any ramps you edit that have a name starting with "to" --currently no matter what you type the editor will change it.
Hmm... the permalink works for me. You'll see the highway split.
Yeah I saw the split okay, but the permalink included a segment ID and the segment ID wasn't in view. So I wasn't sure if it was the right view and the wrong segment or vice versa ;)

I think your table is correct. FYI, originally on the NA server at least, ramp to ramp junctions rarely gave instructions or at least rarely gave predictable instructions, so the developers changed it so ALL ramp to ramp junctions are announced. Does this create problems or at least overly chatty situations? Yes. Does it solve many orders of magnitude additional other problems? Most definitely.

Oh, and the things that your table does not include which may impact the results are also the segment names and the actual angles of the junctions. I can't think of a situation I can use to test, but I wonder if the "all ramps" is true even when two ramp segments have the exact same name and have close to a 0 departure angle between them??? But I have to assume that "all ramps" meant "all ramps" when they made the change.

The only other solution to this scenario is to type the parallel collector lanes the same as the main roadway -- in this case, freeway. Permalink showing the segments we'd have to change to Freeway. I'd have to think about that idea before knowing how I really feel about it.
2) Based on my table above, your route will create a voice command of "Exit Left/Right", option C above. I believe if you look at the street view, the best approach should probably be E (as I stated above) (as these don't appear to be technically 'exits'). You can see an example of what I did with E here:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT

The regular road was named "State Rte 4" and it didn't say "Keep Left..." when I reached the fork. By changing the left name to simply "State Rte 4W", Waze sees that all 3 names are different, but the road types are the same, so it will use "Keep Left/Right". And now the voice directions are perfect when I go through those exits/splits.
So that example, does it work well no matter which branch you take? I and other editors have had very mixed results with Freeways at least when we try to do a split like that. Thus the reason for the dual ramp split like I set up on the rt 46 example.

Personally, I think once ramps are named properly we can get rid of the "Exit" instruction and just use the "Keep" instruction. Right now we get things like:
"Exit right to Exit 123: Main St" and "Exit left to Rt 456 N"

But I think this would work just as well and maybe better:
"Keep right to Exit 123: Main St" and "Keep left to Rt 456 N"

Or heck, make it "Keep" unless the segment name begins with the word "Exit" (localized for different languages of course) then we can have:
"Exit right to Exit 123: Main St" and "Keep left to Rt 456 N"

Maybe I am dreaming too big ;)

(I typed this reply off and on during a conference call at work so let me know if I didn't address something!)
WeeeZer14
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
daknife wrote:The Exit right and Stay right instructions are also affected by they angle of the turn, less than 45 degrees will say "Keep right" or "Exit Right" More than 45 degrees will give a "Turn Right" command. So some of us will zoom all the way in and put a geometry node right next to the connection point to create a false 90 degree turn. I usually to this on right turn lanes to avoid ramp like instructions. It also helps avoid the keep left instructions just to go straight down the freeway. Put that micro dogleg at the beginning of the ramp and it will give the "Exit Right" command but say nothing about keeping left.

Here is an example. I'd been getting UR's about users being told to keep left when passing this interchange, so I installed a micro-dogleg and the UR's stopped. Zoom out and you can see how it looks like a normal off ramp.

Otherwise WeeeZer14 is 100% right on, but then he's been editing a few months longer than I.
Yep I quickly mentioned the angles in my reply I was working on for over an hour ;)

Very interesting that there was a keep left instruction there since the two Freeway segments have the same name. Were they always named the same? What did the angles look like? Was it a very tight, close angle between the ramp and the Freeway segment (did the turn arrows totally overlap when you select the first Freeway segment)?
WeeeZer14
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
First of all, I addressed the other 3 items you added.
Wajo357 wrote: Hmm... I didn't look at the link for an actual segment ID, but the view should show 5 segments. 3 of which pertain to what we discussed - the starting segment, the left split and the right split. Is this still unclear?
No it is clear knowing I can ignore the segment ID linked in the permalink. Not sure what approach to take to change it though based on the discussions we are having here and in a Champs only topic. Seems that we still haven't nailed down all the nuances.
Wajo357 wrote:However, a bit off topic, I noticed in the last release of the app that there are now longer pauses between parts of the voice commands which make these chatty sections get backlogged and you are already 4 turns ahead before it can catch up.
Yes the developers finally made the TTS engine pause on the slash character. For long ramps names, yes it can take a while. And in the NY metro area that is just about every ramp :lol: This may be a topic to bring up to the developers and see if they can do anything (limit the number of phrases separated by slashes based on the distance to the next turn).
Wajo357 wrote:I don't know when they made the change, but it used to be that it wouldn't give commands if the ramps did have the same name. I hinted to the names a bit in my table when I talked about it in option E.
The problem with editing for over 2 years is that things have changed so many times it is hard to keep up ;)
Wajo357 wrote:Yeah... that would work too. I would also change the last segment before it merges back with the main highway since it isn't a 'exit left' situation.
You can go either way, but the advantage of the ramp is that you get the announcement for reassurance that yes, you are getting onto the highway. Of course a "Keep" would be better than an "Exit" here. If the last segment was a Freeway, you wouldn't get any prompt, so it is a question of is the reassurance needed. I'd personally treat it as a pathfinder instruction, so I'd leave it as a ramp.
Wajo357 wrote:Yeah...I've never had a problem with it once I've done it. I've driven to both the left, right and different exits on the right. All have been good. Unless they've changed something in the app since I've tried some of the variations.
Having more regular map updates would let us test things like this! I have a Freeway to Freeway split "waiting" for me to test on the GSP. I'll be up there the end of this month to check it.
Wajo357 wrote:Thanks again for your help.
You are very welcome! And keep questioning things, that is the only way we'll get to the true answers.
WeeeZer14
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
I don't think we can improve #8 any more than it is right now. You will be told to "go right" to Exit 70B. That may be a "keep" vs an "exit", but for now I think that is okay until we get a total list of all conditions.

I made #9 into a dual ramp split since we know that works so it has some prompting for now (well, once today's updates go live).
WeeeZer14
Send a message