Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Powerlines and GPS

Post by wattpuppy
Anybody notice any problems with overhead powerlines interfering with the GPS tracking? In my area it seems that the GPS looses my location when I'm under powerlines.
wattpuppy

POSTER_ID:543119

Send a message

Post by QuickOK
:D That wouldn't have anything to do with your username would it... Wattpuppy. Anyway, I'm not aware of any issues pertaining to powerlines and GPS. The GPS in the phone has been admittedly poor by Apple for what we do, but we make do with it. If you're a power user and have jailbroken your phone which is now LEGAL, but Apple arguably states that it may void your warranty (not likely because you can restore your phone) you can obtain a bluetooth app and use a bluetooth GPS instead of the built-in GPS...
QuickOK
Send a message

Post by RallyChris
I'm not an engineer, but based on what I've read for amateur radio work, power lines themselves shouldn't interfere with the GPS signal. Now there might be an interference problem with the receivers in the phone.

When you can make florescent bulbs glow under them, anything could be possible. :)
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png