Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Important messages to community users. This forum is locked (waze staff only).
Post by rcocchiararo
Things i noticed on .105

1) it might heat my milestone a little more than older versions
2) it would hang after a marking an uncharted road, or randomly too

I wanted to try the beta because on the last official version i suddenly became unable to connect (i had gps, but no network).

ps: also, i think Maps in Argentina ara "a little to the east" compared to the real world :P
rcocchiararo
Send a message

Post by rcocchiararo
I have a motorola milestone.

Both .105 and .106 ended up hanging (or hanging my phone) after trips of an hour or so.

should i go back to 1.7 and see if it worked fine ?
rcocchiararo
Send a message

Post by rcocchiararo
AaTrackDog says Waze 1.9.0.101 is available !

where do i get it ? does it crash les often ? :P
rcocchiararo
Send a message

Post by rcocchiararo
i installed the version i was looking for, and its a little better i think.

i can load maps really fast over wifi on my milestone, and that wont crash.

it does crash from times to times on long travels, specially if there are connection problems or if i ask for directions.

Posible bug:

Using SWYPE keyboard, i cant delete when commenting on the reports.

I think its also not posible to change input method ir copy text from the comment box, so that might be the reason.
rcocchiararo
Send a message

Post by rcocchiararo
i changed my moto milestone (2.1) which was ok for waze (it did crash, froze phoen, etc), but now i changed to a nexus one with android 2.2, and i can use waze for a while, then it reboots my phone, and i cant use it anymore, cause it reboots all the time :/
rcocchiararo
Send a message

Post by rcocchiararo
zottel wrote:I have a Nexus One running Froyo, too, and I had reboots, too. Very frequently at times, quite seldomly lately.

This leads me to a new suspicion: I had reboots nearly all the time when it was so hot in Germany in June/July. When it became so much cooler, I suddenly didn't experience any reboots anymore. Then I got several reboots again last Wednesday, and guess what, it was the hottest day since weks.

Above all, the sun was shining quite fiercely when I drove home, and it seems to me that my phone gets heated up much more if the sun is shining directly at it through the windshield and/or the open roof.

So, my current theory is that the problem with reboots (maybe not with the force closes some seem to experience, but I've seen none) is not really a bug in waze's code but the fact that waze is the one app that heats up my phone most.

If it's quite hot in the car, the phone might overheat and either be rebooted by some security function in Android (though other means like the iPhone's "Please wait for the phone to cool down" would make more sense here) or be forced to reboot by some flipped-over bits in kernel memory or random outcomes of CPU calculations. If some bits run havoc within waze's memory, this might even explain force closes.

I guess it's more likely flipped bits than a security function as I sometimes had no reboots although the phone got so hot I could barely touch it while on other days it was only "rather hot" but there were reboots.

Still, I never experienced a reboot on those cloudy days when the car was not heated up when I drove home, nor did I ever get one when I drove to work in the morning, so I do suspect that heat is at least one of the problems here. My car being quite dark und thus very hot on sunny days might add to the problem.

Any similar experiences?

Best regards,

Christian
well, i do charge my phone while driving, but my motorola milestone with 2.1 was at least 10c hotter than my nexus, all the time, and it worked much better on waze.

Then again, it WINTER here in Argentina, and i think its the coldest winter i can remember, so, no, no hot days, many nexus one with 2.2 reboots.

Also, i tried running google navigation for the same travel distances that rebooted waze many times, with no issues.
rcocchiararo
Send a message

Post by rcocchiararo
damaniac wrote:Hi,

as predicted Waze crashed several times over the weekend when in front just running or when you tried to touch a button. But it's definitely no heat problem, because several times I use various navigation software parallel like Waze, Google Navigation and Navigon. Only Waze will crash or reboot the phone even when you don't touch it. The worst part is, that it crashed as soon as soon as it had to load a new map tile. When you restart it, it tries to load this tiles again and crashed instantly. This goes on for at least 10 times, which becomes quite annoying. Now I just let in run in the background and don't touch it at all. If it crashes in the background I don't care anymore, because even for the parts I drove I still have no edit permissions after 4 days.
As for the heat problem, I just placed my phones so that a constant flow of cool air from the air conditioning will keep the phone at a cool temperature.

So, now I have 500 kms of streets I can't edit perfectly because of the lack of constant permission. I wonder how many points one must have to be allowed a little more permissions?!
It's just frustrating!!! If Waze pays my gas bill I will gladly just drive around all day, but I don't drive around just so maybe Waze will give me edit permissions on the 4th or 5th run... no way.

damaniac
Ex-Waze-User?!?
I think that you can only instantly edit a road YOU made with the mapping tool in waze or in cartouche.

Roads or stuff from other people have to be supervised by area managers, and i have NO idea how to become an area manager, but im still waiting for Area managers in Argentina to accept so many of my modifications :/
rcocchiararo
Send a message

Post by rcocchiararo
after some experiments (all on android 2.2), i now know that the first time i run waze after changing my phone ROM, and wiping cache and dalvik-cache, i can make one "long" (30 to 40 minutes) trip.

then it all goes weird and i have constant reboots.

if i keep waze minimized it does not reboot my phone :/

any day now is getting way to long now for a new version :(
rcocchiararo
Send a message

Post by rcocchiararo
for my nexus running froyo its un-usable

it reboots my phone all the time ! :(

my screen never sleeps when running waze

And leaving waze running in background prevents the crashes (but also using it..)

i almost never drive in unknown areas, i tried it with full/low/half battery

i tried it with a car charger and without...

if a new version wont be out before SEPTEMBER 18th, then im a sad person....

ps: temperature has nothing to do with it, i have reboots now that the heat is rising, i had reboots on the ultra cold days of the past weeks (here in argentina).
rcocchiararo
Send a message

Post by rcocchiararo
isn't 2.2/froyo now official for the motorola Droid and the HTC desire too ?

i do agree thats a thing with 2.2... but waze is the only app rebooting my phone :/

Also, on 2.1, it was already unstable, it would crash a lot, and from time to time, freeze my moto milestone.

too bad there is no way arround this for now :(
rcocchiararo
Send a message