Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Why does Waze not contain house numbers?

Post by aladincz
Hello,

I am quite new here. I tried to get answer by searching but only found that house number editor is off now.

I like Waze a lot but missing house numbers looks like big problem. I guess it is based on Open Street Maps that do have them so I do not understand it.

In my area there is not too many users and when part of them would edit numbers it would took years to fill whole city.

Waze gives me good direction I would say much better Apple maps do but in some cases It gives very bad because missing house numbers. When there are long streets and lot of one way streets results can be not usable.
When you add that you can not Waze say which way you are heading at start, suggestion can be really funny. You have to start slowly and wait to Waze recalculate route.

Otherwise for iPhone 3GS it is a gem. :-)

Best wishes

Frantisek
aladincz

POSTER_ID:14118590

Send a message

Post by aladincz
jasonh300 wrote:House number data comes from Bing in most cases. This data is fed to waze as latitude and longitude and Waze routes you to those coordinates. So in most cases, house numbers aren't needed.

However, there are always exceptions, and bad Bing data, so there is a House number feature that's currently in beta testing and should be released to the general public some time in the near future.
As I see other forum topic Google/bing results flaky? http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 21&start=0, problem probably lays there.

When I search V Bezovce 32, Plzeň Waze gives me result but just street without number. Goggle and Bing gives no result. Live map shows right result V Bezovce 1362/32, 301 00 Pilsen, Czech Republic but map is blank. No roads, no streets, even city is missing :-o.

Frantisek
aladincz
Send a message

Post by aladincz
WeeeZer14 wrote:
aladincz wrote:Live map shows right result V Bezovce 1362/32, 301 00 Pilsen, Czech Republic but map is blank. No roads, no streets, even city is missing :-o.
Be sure you are looking at the right server infrastructure: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Banks_of_Servers
You are right. I somehow end up at http://www.waze.com/livemap/ instead world... version. But then it looks even more strange. http://www.waze.com/livemap/ gives right position with house numbers (and blank map) but world version gives only street without numbers. Why?
aladincz
Send a message

Post by aladincz
I see that sometime I am logged on one tab and not in another.

But it seems we live on different planet ;-) It NEVER return any result when I search address with house number for me. It only give popup listing of possible locations/streets but never with numbers. See image https://dl.dropbox.com/u/610163/waze-bezovka.jpg so I do not understand what you write or better can not believe. Talking about world version.
It does gives me landmark but for street generally

So what can be wrong.

I do not understand exactly to remark about zooming too. Even on Top zoom out no change.
Firefox 18 on XP
aladincz
Send a message

Post by aladincz
Sounds good :-). I would not mind house numbers if suggestion to use google or bing would work.
It probably has not to work.

Would it be possible to merge data from www to world version when there are house numbers in www version?

The thing with zooming sounds funny and i would consider it is a bug but I may be wrong.
aladincz
Send a message

Post by aladincz
WeeeZer14 wrote:Okay, now I am getting mixed results. Before I'd get the exact location if I was zoomed out to see most of Europe. If I was zoomed in on the city, I'd only get suggestions.

Just now trying to repeat those results, I only get the suggestions no matter the zoom level.

BUT, if I open a new Incognito window in Chrome (to be sure I have a fresh browsing session), I get the initial results again where I will get the exact location if I am zoomed out. :?:
I managed to get result with hose number also once when zoomed out. But just once.

What kind of problem it is? Bug? Or feature? Whether it is bug should I report it somewhere else?
aladincz
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
WeeeZer14 wrote:Both www and world are beta testing the ability to edit address numbers directly in the Waze map editor. Eventually this data can supplement/override the address info from other sources.
I looked but haven't found whether Czech addressing style has been submitted to Waze from their request. I'm afraid this might have only give out to Champs.

aladincz, why don't you post on your country forum whether anyone has submitted the country addressing style to Waze?

Tapatalk made me do it.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Zirland wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I looked but haven't found whether Czech addressing style has been submitted to Waze from their request.
Of course we got into contact with Waze and explained everything.
Very good!
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by james8970
jasonh300 wrote:
Rokcet wrote:What do you mean "Waze does not contain house numbers"?

When I enter an address complete with house number Waze generally guides me to within 60 feet of that house number. So apparently Waze knows very well how to deal with them.
Outside of the U.S. and other basemapped countries without Bing or Google lookups, it can be a problem. There are also areas in the U.S. that are either not in the house number database, or are wildly incorrect.
A little to the north in Canada, GPSes don't have a clue where the exact address is. My worst case scenario was when Google thought my destination was 10-15 minutes north of the actual location. If google or bing is supplying Waze with the exact location of an address, I don't feel confident in Wazes ability to direct me to the exact spot I need to go. I can't wait for the day that Waze will use user supplied data for addresses. It would have great potential.
james8970
Send a message
Canada Country Manager

Post by jasonh300
House number data comes from Bing in most cases. This data is fed to waze as latitude and longitude and Waze routes you to those coordinates. So in most cases, house numbers aren't needed.

However, there are always exceptions, and bad Bing data, so there is a House number feature that's currently in beta testing and should be released to the general public some time in the near future.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message