Landmark - Best Practices US

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Landmark - Best Practices US

Postby Daknife » Thu May 02, 2013 7:20 am

PhantomSoul wrote:I've got a number of editors landmarking rivers, lakes, and other bodies of water in my area. Should we be landmarking those or should they be asked to stop?

I thought that the Waze client uses a completely separate layer from the WME landmarks to show where there is water. Has this changed?

Last I heard the guidance was still no. With possible exception for significant bodies that do not appear in the water layer. I made one allowance in my area for a significant river (The Jordan river) running the length of the Salt lake valley to be added as it is not in the water layer.
Any other water body landmarks are deleted as soon as I see them.
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby razor2k » Thu May 02, 2013 12:44 am

vectorspace wrote:I enter small bodies of water because they were never on the water layer in Waze and never showed up on the client. I think they are vital visual references to understand the map that is displayed on the client and should be entered. If you mark them as sea/lake/levee, then Waze can always choose to not display them.

I see your point to the visual reference thing, which would be fine if you just do a simple polygon of the object. However, I've seen detailed outlines of "retention ponds" which have probably upwards of 100 nodes. :o ....This is not good.
razor2k

Postby vectorspace » Thu May 02, 2013 12:27 am

I enter small bodies of water because they were never on the water layer in Waze and never showed up on the client. I think they are vital visual references to understand the map that is displayed on the client and should be entered. If you mark them as sea/lake/levee, then Waze can always choose to not display them.
vectorspace

Postby PhantomSoul » Wed May 01, 2013 10:23 pm

I've got a number of editors landmarking rivers, lakes, and other bodies of water in my area. Should we be landmarking those or should they be asked to stop?

I thought that the Waze client uses a completely separate layer from the WME landmarks to show where there is water. Has this changed?
PhantomSoul
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby Daknife » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:37 pm

AndyPoms wrote:
skbun wrote:Sooo.... '[USA] Landmark Guidelines - Request for Comments' is now a locked thread with no further action mentioned, and I see no further discussion of this anywhere else in the US forums. Is the CT landmark standard now the national standard, or...?

The comments in the locked thread are still being reviewed... Final decisions will be made soon...

I apologize for the delay, but the real world (and my real job) has kinda stacked up on me...

And two months after the "Final decisions will be made soon..." comment we are still waiting for a standard, or rather we are waiting for something, anything to actually point people to. Well, other than the Utah State list I made months ago (based mostly on the CT list) when I got tired of waiting.
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby skbun » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:28 pm

Yeah. I'm just wondering the status because depending, it'd mean I could start doing cleanup according to that standard (and believe me, in Northern California, there would be a LOT to do. Not to mention half the bigger landmarks having the name 'No city, California, Mexico' when the automated script couldn't figure out the city.)
skbun

Postby AndyPoms » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:57 pm

skbun wrote:Sooo.... '[USA] Landmark Guidelines - Request for Comments' is now a locked thread with no further action mentioned, and I see no further discussion of this anywhere else in the US forums. Is the CT landmark standard now the national standard, or...?

The comments in the locked thread are still being reviewed... Final decisions will be made soon...

I apologize for the delay, but the real world (and my real job) has kinda stacked up on me...
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby skbun » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:52 pm

Sooo.... '[USA] Landmark Guidelines - Request for Comments' is now a locked thread with no further action mentioned, and I see no further discussion of this anywhere else in the US forums. Is the CT landmark standard now the national standard, or...?
skbun

Postby vectorspace » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:26 pm

Another word in support of landmarks, under whatever best practices...

I just remembered that I had not mentioned how I have used landmarks. From time to time, I will see or search for something graphically by scrolling the map. I then find a landmark or cross streets where I want to go, touch and hold the map to bring up the flag, then click the arrow and select go to begin navigating. This graphical approach needs no typing.

I have done that to bring the kids or dog to a park, looking for a store or mall, etc. Scroll, point, go ... Sometimes faster than search when I know what or where but not a name.
vectorspace

Postby Daknife » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:52 am

Then tell me how this station was an option for reporting gas prices. Then I adjusted the landmark to get it snapped off the roads. That made the landmark too small to appear in the client, and it disappeared from the report gas prices options for that intersection (the Chevron across the street was still listed). Then once I adjusted the landmark to get it big enough to appear in the client again, the report gas prices option was back?

I'm not claiming there is a connection, just stating exactly what I saw. The intersection is one block from my home, my attempts to report the gas prices for the station were made while fueling up at the station. The only thing that changed was the size of the landmark.
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to United States