Landmark - Best Practices US

Image This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Landmark - Best Practices US

Postby jasonh300 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:34 am

daknife wrote:Also landmarks for smaller stores won't even appear in the client. Your average McDonalds, Wendy's etc aren't big enough. Heck I've had to really play with the bondaries of a couple smaller gas stations to get them to appear. And with one near my house I found that until the landmark was big enough to appear, the option to report gas prices for it was also not available.

At some point, they've increased the minimum for a landmark to appear. I had oversized a gas station near my house to appear and recently, it no longer appears.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:27 am

daknife wrote:And with one near my house I found that until the landmark was big enough to appear, the option to report gas prices for it was also not available.

This really surprises me. Many of the gas stations that waze routes me to and for which I then enter prices have no landmark at all in the landmark layer. What is the current relationship between the price database and landmark layer in the US?
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.1
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:39 am

There is CURRENTLY no connection between Gas Station Landmarks and the gas Price system.

The locations (& non-user submitted prices) are provided by a third party - there is currently no way to add/edit/delete gas stations in the US. Waze has told us to landmark gas stations as they plan on bringing the US Gas Price system in line with the ROTW system at some point.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Daknife » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:52 am

Then tell me how this station was an option for reporting gas prices. Then I adjusted the landmark to get it snapped off the roads. That made the landmark too small to appear in the client, and it disappeared from the report gas prices options for that intersection (the Chevron across the street was still listed). Then once I adjusted the landmark to get it big enough to appear in the client again, the report gas prices option was back?

I'm not claiming there is a connection, just stating exactly what I saw. The intersection is one block from my home, my attempts to report the gas prices for the station were made while fueling up at the station. The only thing that changed was the size of the landmark.
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Landmark - Best Practices US

Postby jasonh300 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:15 am

Definitely no connection between those layers. You got some kind of weird coincidence going there. Post a location. It may be worth some further investigation.

iOS Tapatalk 2 sucks.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby vectorspace » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:26 pm

Another word in support of landmarks, under whatever best practices...

I just remembered that I had not mentioned how I have used landmarks. From time to time, I will see or search for something graphically by scrolling the map. I then find a landmark or cross streets where I want to go, touch and hold the map to bring up the flag, then click the arrow and select go to begin navigating. This graphical approach needs no typing.

I have done that to bring the kids or dog to a park, looking for a store or mall, etc. Scroll, point, go ... Sometimes faster than search when I know what or where but not a name.
vectorspace
vectorspace

Postby skbun » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:52 pm

Sooo.... '[USA] Landmark Guidelines - Request for Comments' is now a locked thread with no further action mentioned, and I see no further discussion of this anywhere else in the US forums. Is the CT landmark standard now the national standard, or...?

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun

Postby AndyPoms » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:57 pm

skbun wrote:Sooo.... '[USA] Landmark Guidelines - Request for Comments' is now a locked thread with no further action mentioned, and I see no further discussion of this anywhere else in the US forums. Is the CT landmark standard now the national standard, or...?

The comments in the locked thread are still being reviewed... Final decisions will be made soon...

I apologize for the delay, but the real world (and my real job) has kinda stacked up on me...
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby skbun » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:28 pm

Yeah. I'm just wondering the status because depending, it'd mean I could start doing cleanup according to that standard (and believe me, in Northern California, there would be a LOT to do. Not to mention half the bigger landmarks having the name 'No city, California, Mexico' when the automated script couldn't figure out the city.)

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun

Postby Daknife » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:37 pm

AndyPoms wrote:
skbun wrote:Sooo.... '[USA] Landmark Guidelines - Request for Comments' is now a locked thread with no further action mentioned, and I see no further discussion of this anywhere else in the US forums. Is the CT landmark standard now the national standard, or...?

The comments in the locked thread are still being reviewed... Final decisions will be made soon...

I apologize for the delay, but the real world (and my real job) has kinda stacked up on me...

And two months after the "Final decisions will be made soon..." comment we are still waiting for a standard, or rather we are waiting for something, anything to actually point people to. Well, other than the Utah State list I made months ago (based mostly on the CT list) when I got tired of waiting.
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to United States