The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by mssusa
Thanks Ehud for the update. I was going to report an area that didn't update, but it is there now. It seems that I caught it while it was updating last night. A new road was there last night but a new roundabout wasn't until this morning.

Now a couple of questions :
1. Will this new infrastructure allow for more frequent cities layer/polygons update?
2. Will it allow for the addition of State and neighborhood fields in the intl server? We really need those. Currently, I'm overloading the city field.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by mssusa
Yes. A big big thank you. Again. It is indeed an achievement. We are speaking of the entire world here. Imagine how many segments were updated?

It is even a bigger feeling of being overwhelmed. More than when it was possible to turn off waze in the parking lot and going up to my office to find that my last session was processed and uploaded.

I also second the suggestion of having a count down timer in WME. It doesn't have to be always on, but they could turn it on 15 minutes before running the tile building process.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by nicecookie
Traveling_Gav wrote:Just out of interest do we know what causes these delays?
I read it is because the servers are probably overloaded because of the long distance trips people are doing during summer in Europe.
nicecookie
Send a message
não.

Post by nicecookie
Glodenox wrote:Seems highly unlikely as those are dealt with on different server instances. Overloaded servers would mean that the whole infrastructure of Google would be overloaded...

Speaking from my experience as a programmer: most likely they have hit some sort of unguarded limit somewhere in the tile creation process. Or perhaps they made some changes to add a feature and introduced a bug somewhere. Rolling back to the old version isn't always a possibility as such changes sometimes include irreversible database changes.

Either way, I'm sure Waze staff is aware of how frustrating this is for us and will be doing their best to resolve the issue. It is often the case that only INTL is experiencing these issues, I presume mostly because of all the different ways all regions map the world and the many people experimenting with things.
Not necessarily the whole Google infrastructure since they probably have limits for number of server instances. CarPool was released Aug 21 and it is not working correctly since we getting some timeouts by changing our times and routes. Timeouts are sometimes being received by trying to calculate routes of more than 100 kilometers.
vince1612 wrote:
nicecookie wrote:
Traveling_Gav wrote:Just out of interest do we know what causes these delays?
I read it is because the servers are probably overloaded because of the long distance trips people are doing during summer in Europe.
That can be true for each user's points calculation, but not likely for tiles updates.
I think they are reallocating instances used for tiles update so people don't get the much timeouts we getting here. Making the app usable but not state of art.
nicecookie
Send a message
não.

Post by NorfolkMustard
status.waze.com suggests the INTL maps are now updated, but I can't see any updates (those made before 16th) in either livemap or the iphone app (after refreshing maps).

Just me?
NorfolkMustard
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Stu
Local Champ: United Kingdom wiki
iOS

Post by NorfolkMustard
I sit corrected. iPhone app showing the expected updates now. LiveMap still behind, though. Guess it takes a while to filter through to the user level.
NorfolkMustard
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Stu
iOS

Post by NorfolkMustard
No tile updates since 2nd June now? Anyone closer to the team able to update us on progress?

Getting worried re the edits done since then.
NorfolkMustard
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Stu
iOS

Post by NorfolkMustard
olestas wrote:Hmm.. no updates on both servers for 5-6 days?
They announced there would be delays for a while, whilst Places is bedding in.

http://status.waze.com/2014/05/28/intl- ... es-status/
NorfolkMustard
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Stu
iOS

Post by numbermaniac
vince1612 wrote:
supilot wrote:So what about INTL map tiles updates? (The last update was on December 20).
Technically the last update was done on Dec 28th, but you're right that it only included edits up until Dec 20th, which is a little late as this means a 10 days delay today.
Why does this happen? Is it simply too much for the server to cope?
numbermaniac
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by nzhook
I must say ive been impressed at times by the map updates and at other times ive been disappointed (especially when I first started and it took over a month for my changes to show up - I was ready to walk)

However what would be awsome, would instead of a status update saying its starting or has finished would be a indication of where its at. Maybe a progress bar (10% or 1/50) or just a current process indicator (eg. exporting db, compiling livemap tiles, compiling client tiles, testing, rolling out, released), this could be triggered automatically by what ever process is working at the time (at its start). This way its really obvious where its at and we can know that if its automatically triggered that the page should be correct.

Obviously I dont know how the maps have to be compiled and rolled out, but I would hope a lot of it is automatic and would allow for adding something to do the automatic update before hand (even just a bash script to do 'statusupdate $0; $0-real $@' would work).

Of course once thats in place the next question that would start happening is how far is the X process though or when is it expected to finish. But at least there would be more visibility of it.
nzhook
Send a message
Area Manager - Taranaki, New Zealand
Samsung Galaxy Ace (GT-S5830) - Gingerbread (Andriod 2.3.5)
New Zealand - Waze Client Beta Tester