Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Anyone else having trouble with being placed on the map?

Post by mkh33
For about two or three weeks now, Waze has not been able to place me on the map. Instead of the little grey car I have set for me, I have the big circle with a cross in the middle indicating my general area. No, it is not my GPS, as I have checked it until I'm blue in the face and everything works just fine. Has anyone else had this problem? And how do I fix this? Until I can fix this I can't gain points as I can't submit reports and the app can't track me as I drive :(.
mkh33

POSTER_ID:13282476

Send a message

Post by alvarezbjm
That happens to me when I have the gps turned off. Aye, the deep-red-gps-off indication I miss sometimes.
alvarezbjm
Send a message

Post by Daknife
Not as software bug or many more would be complaining about this. But it is impossible to truly troubleshoot without knowing device and OS versions. Different devices even from the same manufacturer have different issues. Kulkatz's advice is the best we can give without knowing OS or device.

There are device models with weak internal GPS receivers and you would be best served getting an external receiver (like the Dual150 GPS), an example of this is a Galaxy S I, and the sister Epic 4G devices. But later Samsung devices fixed this issue. If you are getting the target circle rather than the car icon, Waze is not getting the GPS data, check in other apps, also if using Android, try turning off the "Use wireless networks" setting in locations. It's not common but. Have seen problems during a handoff between cell towers and if you are right at a handoff point, your cell maybe bouncing between towers and that confuses the agps at times. However the last few versions of Waze haven't seemed to have that problem, but it has been an issue.

There may be other external interferance sources near you as well. I know of one location that will throw the no GPS message and then lock my device every time I drive there. It only and always happens in that one location and that tells me something near there is throwing interferance.

But for more specific trouble shooting device make, model and OS and version are needed.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by iamjames
I'm having the same problem. Just realized today there was a WAZE forum. Excellent app btw. I was using an HTD Inspire 4G and it was happening a lot. Would show me on the middle of a lake... I uninstalled and reinstalled several times and it would fix it temporarily. It seemed to work fine during the AM commute to work, but lost me on the afternoon trip home. I really never suspected the GPS. I thought I was having internet issues. The HTC is H+ and I assumed the towers were busy and bumping me off. I upgraded to a GS3 with 4G LTE, but that didn't help either. Same problem. I stopped using the app even though I loved it because it was such a hassle. Now that I have a new idea where to look, I'll give it another try. Thanks for posting this :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
iamjames
Send a message

Post by Kuhlkatz
Device type and some OS version info might help.

Does the GPS activity indicator show up when Waze is running ? Does it show a lock, or does the indicator flash ? Are any other apps having an issue with obtaining GPS lock ?

If it's Android, you might want to look for some of the GPS tools like "GPS Essentials" in the Play Store to verify that the GPS is actually working and getting a lock. In the the Satellites view it will show how many satellites are visible and how many are used for the lock, if any.

Also, if it's Android, it quicker to go "Settings -> Apps -> Waze -> Clear Cache" than to uninstall & reinstall. This might solve corrupt settings files too.
Corrupted files has been known to produce false network-related issues, so it's possible that it might cause GPS issues as well.

If you used mock locations, first feel really guilty, and then reboot the phone before attempting to use the buit-in GPS again.
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing

Post by l0gic23
yes. navigating or hitting the North button fixes it. only started after the last version/update. pretty sure its a software bug.
l0gic23
Send a message

Post by pimp_my_taco
Thats happened to me twice. Even waited with my phone on a table in my backyard with a clear line of site for 2 hours with the satellites. What fixed the problem was reinstalling the app
pimp_my_taco
Send a message

Post by Rokcet
mkh33 wrote:For about two or three weeks now, Waze has not been able to place me on the map. Instead of the little grey car I have set for me, I have the big circle with a cross in the middle indicating my general area. No, it is not my GPS, as I have checked it until I'm blue in the face and everything works just fine. Has anyone else had this problem? And how do I fix this? Until I can fix this I can't gain points as I can't submit reports and the app can't track me as I drive :(.
Haven't had that particular bug yet, but had another one recently. Fixed that by UNinstalling Waze, and then REinstalling it. I recommend you try that too.
Rokcet
Send a message