Documenting Soft and Hard Turns

Post by kentsmith9
I wanted to get some information documented into the Wiki on all that we know about Soft and Hard turn restrictions and the proper terminology. Below are some bullets with what I believe are facts on this topic that I will use as the source for the prose in the various sections. I would appreciate any feedback from the team if you see any errors, have a different spin on the information, or have more I should cover in area.

Definitions and operation:
Soft Restricted Turn -
  • Initially all new segments are automatically created with all turns set as soft restricted turns.
  • The routing server will consider a lower penalty for routing through a soft restricted turn, vs. a hard restricted turn.
  • Both soft and hard restricted turns look red on the map editor. There may be a time in the future where soft restricted turns may have a different color to aid editors trying to resolve routing issues.
  • Once a soft restricted turn is changed to any other turn type, it cannot be returned to this type and cannot be created manually.
Soft Enabled Turn -
  • These are created by the routing engine when it finds Waze traffic going through a soft restricted turn enough times.
  • The routing engine cannot override a hard disabled turn with a soft enabled turn. (Or can it?)
  • [color=#BF0000]
  • (Does a soft restricted turn have a higher penalty than a hard restricted turn?)
  • (Is there any other reason beyond the different turn penalty for not wanting a soft enabled turn?)
  • (Can a soft enabled turn automatically convert back to a soft restricted turn?)
  • [/color]
Hard Restricted Turn
  • When an editor clicks on a turn arrow and changes its status from red to green or green to red, the eventual red setting will now be a hard restricted turn.
  • Hard restricted turns have a higher turn penalty than soft restricted turns.
  • Editors set hard restricted turns when they know a particular turn is not permissible from a junction on the road.
Hard Enabled Turn
  • Created manually by Waze editors when clicking on a red turn arrow (either soft or hard disabled) and making it green.
  • All turns in a junction will be hard enabled after pressing both the Q and W shortcut keys.
  • Caution should be taken after using the QW key sequence to be sure if any of the underlying road junction turns should be disabled manually by clicking on the arrows to make them red.
General
  • Waze does not currently support time-based turn restrictions.
  • After creating a new junction, it is best to initially Disable and Enable all turns using the Q and W keys. Then manually set the individual restricted turns. If most turns are disabled, then just use the Q key and manually enable each allowed turn by setting those turns as green arrows.
  • Shortcut key Shift-Z toggles between 1) displaying all restricted turns for visible segments, and 2) all turn types for the selected segment.
  • Shortcut key a toggles between making the visible turn arrows 1) clickable, or 2) transparent enabling selecting object directly below them.
  • Shortcut key s toggles between 1) making displayed hidden arrows visible from below another, or 2) directly aligned with the direction of the connected segments. Pressing this key also updates the current display when viewing all restricted turns with Shift-Z.
  • [color=#BF0000]
  • (Does pressing the W key alone simply not change the soft enabled turns to hard enabled turns?)
  • (Do the extended tools properly set all turns to hard enabled? This may not go into the final wiki.)
  • [/color]
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

POSTER_ID:7009939

Send a message

Post by CBenson
kentsmith9 wrote:"...is generated automatically by the Waze routing engine for turns from segments newly added to current or new junctions, and original base map imported junctions not set manually by an editor."
Sound good to me.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
kentsmith9 wrote:In that case I propose a slight adjustment to point that out
"...is generated automatically by the Waze routing engine for turns from segments newly added to current or new junctions, but the already present segments in the junction will have hard restricted turns going to the newly added segment. Also original base map imported junctions not set manually by an editor will be soft restricted."
When the new editor goes live we can add a few shots of the arrows with and without "?" to illustrate this better.
Well as I don't really understand the internal working of the hard/soft distinctions, I can't be sure that this is always true in all cases, but this statement certainly agrees with my experience.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
ncc1701v wrote:And I can't find the thread I'm looking for. But here's the idea: when Waze arrives at a junction, if there is only one valid continuation it might not give you an instruction, even if it's a significant turn. If one of the reds is soft instead of hard, Waze says that _might_ be valid, so it is more likely to give an instruction. The gist is that making turns hard can change the client's instructions.
There is this section of the wiki. But that gets into the morass of what waze means when it says "lock." I have less of an understanding of what a locked node is than how soft turn restrictions work. My experience is that waze will give turn instructions for angles of greater that 45 degrees when a road ends at a T on a one way road even where the turn restrictions are hard enabled. There are multitudes of T intersections on split roads where the turn left instruction is given.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I'm away from the computer at the moment. But, I'm I pretty sure I can find many examples of segments that T into a one-way road where all turn restrictions are hard where you get a turn left instruction. As I mentioned, anytime you T into a split road you have this circumstance and normally you get the left turn instruction.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
davipt wrote:Of course it will say turn left.
I agree that it does and should. But my most straightforward reading of the "How Waze determines turn / keep / exit maneuvers" wiki section would indicate that if the node is locked that no instruction would be given because that there is only one valid route and thus the maneuver will be "continue straight." But, this is not what actually seems to happen.

Thus, I don't think we should be stating that the soft/hard distinction has an effect on routing instructions in other sections of the wiki.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
So if you make a turn near 90 degrees (over 45 degrees) where there are only two segments at the junction like from Wheatfield Dr to Daniels Purchase Dr here you do not get a turn instruction. (I don't have the livemap plugin here, but the instructions don't show on the navigation list if I route through that junction on my phone.) I've never seen an instruction in a case like this regardless of the soft/hard status of the turn settings. This is consistent with condition 1 in the wiki.

If you make a turn near 90 degrees onto a one way road like from Menteth Point Dr to southbound Veterans Hwy here, you do get an instruction to turn left. Again, I've noticed no difference dependent on the soft/hard status of the turn settings in circumstance like this. Although, there is only one valid routing option, the turn instruction is given. This is not consistent with condition 1.1 in the wiki.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I thought I remembered something, but couldn't for the life myself find it.
Thanks.
But we should now update it with the visuals provided by the new release of the editor.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
Care to share your fix?
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Thanks for the great reply. Some followup:
mapcat wrote:The routing engine can override anything since it's all based on penalties. Maybe I misunderstand what you wrote.
I did not state that explicitly, but can add information or consolidate other info on that topic already in the Wiki.
mapcat wrote:Waze does not support time based restrictions, so if it's not allowed for a specific time frame, then it's not allowed.
I recall many threads discussing this, but I don't recall a final recommendation. I think this thread could spawn that decision here or in a related thread. If it was decided, I missed it in my search and I don't recall it getting into the Wiki yet. We should note that some restrictions are for commute traffic flow control and some are for other reasons. I know one road in my area is no right turn during late hours when most people are not around. Otherwise the majority of traffic is allowed. Shall we play it safe and say No turn if "ever" restricted even if only for 3 hours on a weekday?
mapcat wrote:After creating a junction, first make sure all the one-ways & two-ways are set correctly, and then QW.
Excellent point to save extra clicks. :)
mapcat wrote:Pressing only W (without Q first) does not clear out incorrect allowed turns (including reverse connectivity). It just turns all current soft or hard restrictions off.
1. I thought Reverse Connectivity was a thing of the past that we did not have to contend with any more based on what I thought I was reading in the Known Issues list. Maybe I am wrong and we need a whole section on Map Troubleshooting with that in there. (Next topic. ;) )

2. Your description of what W does on its own is a little different than what I thought Alan had previously told me. I also realize I did not include my understanding of that function. So based on what you wrote and what I thought, here is what I propose we add to the General Section with what we have already on QW:
  • Pressing only the W shortcut (without the Q first) only turns any soft or hard restrictions to hard enabled turns. It does not convert any soft enabled turns to hard enabled turns. Also, with previously drawn "one-way" or "no entrance" roads using the older Cartouche map editor, there may be soft or hard enabled turns for the opposite direction of travel that are not visible on the map, but can effect traffic routing. Therefore it is best to always press Q just before using W on all segments where you are using the W shortcut. The Waze development team is considering adding this functionality to the operation of the W key to simplify matters (date TBD).
Frankly the Reverse Connectivity issue really seems like a bug in the navigation router that should be fixable. It appears to be causing very significant problems and effort to fix at the map level with millions of junctions where the routing code could do a better job at understanding what is currently "active" for that segment or junction like we see on the map. Maybe I still don't fully understand the problem in the first place. :geek:
mapcat wrote:Extended tools "allow all turns" sets them all to soft enabled, not hard enabled.
This leads back to two of my prior questions wondering why we care if a turn is hard or soft enabled:
  • (Is there any other reason beyond the different turn penalty for not wanting a soft enabled turn?)
  • (Can a soft enabled turn automatically convert back to a soft restricted turn?)
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message