Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Map icon suggestions

Post by FuzzyBabies
I like that I can see the location of Dunkin Donuts (as indicated by the icon(s) on the map) (Greater Boston Area). I would like to suggest if there could be a way to include other map icons for other stores. For instance, my job (environmental field engineer) requires me to shop at Home Depot frequently. It would be helpful to have Home Depot icons on the map as well. I'm sure other icons would benefit other people.
Sorry if this topic is in the wrong thread.
FuzzyBabies

POSTER_ID:13344055

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
hallofrecord wrote:I have been using Waze for a year or so and it has been my favorite navigation app, but the map is now getting cluttered with icons for users, information, and now ads. This has made it less useful rather than more useful.
You can turn off the display of nearly everything except the advertisements.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
hallofrecord wrote:True, but can't you see where this is going? I'd like to show some of the icons without the advertising overlay which is why I suggested the Mapquest approach which keeps it visible, but less intrusive.
Personally, I do not like ads which permanently take up space on my screen. They also totally lack geo-relevance: you can't see where the store is relative to my current position and driving direction.

You mentioned you were upset with the map clutter, so I suggested a way to reduce it. There are never more than 4 (maybe 3) small ad icons at any time on the screen. There's a lot more on the screen which clutters it much more, like other Wazers. Moving or turning off map-based ads would not do a whole lot to reduce clutter as it is a pretty small number compared to everything else on the map.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
Dunkin Donuts is a paid advertiser with Waze (along with several others). Home Depot would have to become a client for their icons to show up - see https://biz.waze.com/ for details.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by hallofrecord
I have been using Waze for a year or so and it has been my favorite navigation app, but the map is now getting cluttered with icons for users, information, and now ads. This has made it less useful rather than more useful.

I'd suggest that Waze consider a baseline bar similar to Mapquest which has paid advertisers displayed along with generic ones. The mobile app has this at the bottom while the computer map has it at the top. http://www.mapquest.com/

That way, if you are not looking for food, it is not an annoyance and if you are looking for food, it is a prominent option.
hallofrecord
Send a message

Post by hallofrecord
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
hallofrecord wrote:I have been using Waze for a year or so and it has been my favorite navigation app, but the map is now getting cluttered with icons for users, information, and now ads. This has made it less useful rather than more useful.
You can turn off the display of nearly everything except the advertisements.
True, but can't you see where this is going? I'd like to show some of the icons without the advertising overlay which is why I suggested the Mapquest approach which keeps it visible, but less intrusive.
hallofrecord
Send a message