Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Waze on Ubuntu Touch Platform?

Post by chris_debian
Hi, all.

As I'm sure you are aware, Ubuntu is bringing it's operating system to tablets and mobile phones/ handsets.

Because the OS is open source, even though Ubuntu have just released an early developer snapshot, people are already starting to work on the official image, so that is can be ported to many more handsets.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tablet-p ... nd-tablets

Does anyone know whether plans exist to port Waze to this platform.

Many thanks,

Chris.
chris_debian

POSTER_ID:4934659

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
chris_debian wrote:Perlin, or any of the core team, do you know where the GPL code is kept, in-case anyone wants to use it?
The only place I know of for sure, and I don't know how complete it is, is in the wiki where it's always been: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Source_code
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by chris_debian
Hi, Timbones.

Thanks for your reply.
Timbones wrote:Given that Waze had dropped support for platforms like BlackBerry, Windows and Symbian so that they could concentrate on the two main players, I guess not.
Fair point.
Timbones wrote: New mobile platforms such as Ubuntu or Firefox are a long way off from being usable, nevermind mature and popular.
Both platforms are open source software, and within a day of Ubuntu releasing the new code, people are already starting to use it. I think it may take off more quickly than you are suggesting.
Timbones wrote:It might be possible to get v2.x working on it, but I don't know if the sources are available.
That could well be a good start, especially as the v2.x code was still GPL'd (unlike the 100% (?) re-write of the code for v3.x). Given that the code was open source, I hope the sources are still available.

I think we'll have to see what happens, I think the bottom line is the availability of a Waze developer, if we want to keep up with v3.0. This won't be so much of an issue with the version 2.x code, as anyone can develop this.

Perlin, or any of the core team, do you know where the GPL code is kept, in-case anyone wants to use it?

Cheers,

Chris.
chris_debian
Send a message

Post by chris_debian
Thanks, Alan....I should have looked at the wiki before posting my question :-)
chris_debian
Send a message

Post by Timbones
Given that Waze had dropped support for platforms like BlackBerry, Windows and Symbian so that they could concentrate on the two main players, I guess not. New mobile platforms such as Ubuntu or Firefox are a long way off from being usable, nevermind mature and popular.

It might be possible to get v2.x working on it, but I don't know if the sources are available.

via mobile
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries