Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by AlanOfTheBerg
db869 wrote:If it's all or none, I will just take none and stop using Waze. Please return the old sound functionality.
Waze made this change due to community/users outcry complaining that Mute didn't actually mute anything. The only option we have now is to turn off navigation prompts under Sound settings.

In beta testing, I asked for a tri-state mute option: Mute All, Mute Nav, Off (mute none). We may or may not get this.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sued-18 wrote:Hi AlanofhteBerg, this purple road name indicator in your photo is what I mean when I said 'large road name sign'
Ah, I see. Well, unfortunately, those signs are something which the majority of Wazers have wanted: a better way to see 1) the name of the road they are currently on, and 2) a better indicator of the next road they will be turning onto. The new name labels accomplish that. However, and this was brought up repeatedly in the beta testing, the manner in which these are displayed needs fixing. There are many examples of poor name placement in the beta testing threads. We hope that Waze will continue to refine this new feature.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sued-18 wrote:I will say, whilst writing, that the new tilted hazard/traffic pins are an excellent upgrade, much easier to see what side of the road it's on.
I agree! The only remaining issue is posting a hazard for the "other side" of a divided highway/roadway. As of right now, I'm pretty sure that type of hazard will never alert anyone. The good news is the the pin tilt should give a visual indication even if no hazard alert appears.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
bdcheung wrote:Foursquare checkin button has disappeared. There is no apparent mechanism to check in via foursquare, even though my account details have been verified in the Social Networks segment of the Settings.
Already been posted about in other threads. Main->Friends->On the way or using the Destination Bar.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
PhantomSoul wrote:Has anyone else witnessed the early "500 ft" problem in this version? I got a "turn right in 500 ft" prompt earlier today with Waze 3.6 when there was way more than a tenth of a mile left to go. Perhaps it is still mistaking 500 ft for "as soon as you get less than .2 miles away?"
Yes, this bug has not been fixed yet. It is happening as you wrote, due to the code only looking at the 10ths digit: .19 miles and giving the 500ft prompt at that time. Perlin said it would be fixed. But like so many things they say will be fixed, we have no idea when or if it ever will be.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Since it was brought up in a beta thread, I think by bgodette, regarding knots-to-km or miles conversion: it still isn't fixed. It remains impossible, as it has since at least 2010 and probably since the first version of Waze with a speedometer was released, that certain speeds will never display in the app. 60mph is one of those values.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I am not seeing private messages in the app show up in my inbox. Anyone else seeing this? Can't understand how something like this keeps getting broken with each release.

Tapatalk made me do it.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
fabryx73 wrote:I see that I lost all previous messages after the update. Is it correct?
Yes, they reset everyone's inboxes. Nice, huh? :x
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
fabryx73 wrote:What should be the real behaviour of popup reports?
The latest we have heard, which has been posted in multiple threads, but not this one yet:
Perlin wrote:We've set up a new zero-speed popups mechanism, that displays up to 4 alert popups at stand-still, in relation to your location near events. If you select to see events on your route only, the popups will be displayed up to 100 km on your route. If you select otherwise (and it doesn't matter which radius you'll choose), they will be displayed up to 5 or 10 km. If you're not near any event, nothing will be displayed when standing still. (you're now probably asking "then why do you still have the old radius selecting if you ignore it". The answer is- we'll change that).

In addition to the alerts, we also display a zero-speed ad and "friends online" popup. Each one of them has a different criteria for display, that depends on the user (if he has friends that are now online, if he's around a location that contains ads, etc.).

It's possible to have a whole drive without getting a single popup. But if you suspect that you should have been getting some (if you know that there are events near you, an ad or friends online) and you didn't- please mention the time of the drive/standstill.
The details I posted earlier in this thread contradict what Perlin has written. I, and others, have pretty clearly proven that popups are not working per this information. In fact, they aren't working at all.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
fvwazing wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Since it was brought up in a beta thread, I think by bgodette, regarding knots-to-km or miles conversion: it still isn't fixed. It remains impossible, as it has since at least 2010 and probably since the first version of Waze with a speedometer was released, that certain speeds will never display in the app. 60mph is one of those values.
Not fixing this will definitely render every attempt to implement those average-speed-cameras futile.
At the meetup, bgodette was fairly certain he's seen 60MPH on Android recently. I have set cruise control and for a distance of 3+ miles, only saw it bounce between 59 and 61 but never 60. bgodette also mentioned that the issue could also be if Waze isn't getting the current speed from the GPS/location services in 1/10ths of a meter precision.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message