Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

No Voice Navigation Option

Post by MikeMcCollister
When I navigate home or to work, Waze will give me voice navigation for every turn. That gets very annoying as I know the route but I still want Waze to warn me of upcoming problems on my route. Please consider adding an option for only vocal alerts and not the turn by on. Make this on a per-route basis. Possibly have a second button when starting to navigate for voice alerts only.

What do you think?

Mike
MikeMcCollister

POSTER_ID:13425527

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Just turn off voice navigation in the Sound menu. All other alerts will still happen.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
jjancula wrote:If I'm driving normal route to work, then I don't want to hear from Waze unless something deviates from the norm. If I get rerouted, or miss a turn, I want Waze to talk to me (turn by turn) until I get back on my normal route.
I get what you're saying now. This is something which is potentially possible. Although the definition of "normal route" can be complex. If you take a route every day, and then today, you need to stop at the bank, which means leaving your route for 75% of the distance, then you'd get prompts for that, even if you know exactly where you're going anyway. What if Waze gives you a different route than normal in the morning, but it's because of an accident and large backup on your normal route. Should Waze announce every turn of today's route, again, even if you know the entire thing?

Waze is storing route data and defining preferred routes is planned to return. You'll notice on the Routes screen, there is a heart icon info at the bottom. This has been there for over a year now, but the back-end hasn't supported it for quite some time due to changes.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by jjancula
Turning off voice navigation is not the best way to solve this problem...

If I'm driving normal route to work, then I don't want to hear from Waze unless something deviates from the norm. If I get rerouted, or miss a turn, I want Waze to talk to me (turn by turn) until I get back on my normal route.

It seems that Waze could learn my normal routes, then just say "taking normal route to xyz" and then keep quiet until something unusual happens. This would keep me from fumbling with options or turning off Waze altogether just to prevent the annoyance.

Think about it like this: wouldn't you get annoyed if your spouse always hounded you with turn-by-turn directions for a trip you've taken hundreds of times? Well, Waze is annoying me, but I put up with it because occasionally it keeps me out of traffic jams.
jjancula
Send a message