Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Can Waze Just Advise On Traffic Problems?

Post by RMSguy
I know that I have three options under Settings; Sound; Navigation Guidance on how must my Waze iOS client says to me but from use it doesn't appear to do what I want. When driving to Home or Work I don't need Waze to give me turn by turn directions. I know my way home. ;-) What I need Waze to do is tell me just about unusual traffic conditions, accidents, police, etc. Basically the kind of things people report manually. Any way to get just this info via the TTS option?

TIA,
Bob
RMSguy

POSTER_ID:12678295

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Just tap the mute button from the main menu. This will mute all turn instruction, but will leave traffic alert hazard alert and camera alert police alerts etc.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
XPLORx4 wrote:Can there be a setting to change the thoroughness of voice navigation separately from hazard announcements? At the moment, the setting for changing the voice navigation from "full directions with street names" to "minimal" also changes the hazard notifications from "Warning. Vehicle stopped on shoulder ahead" to "Hazard reported ahead".
Hmmm... I was never aware that minimal did this. Are you sure that the hazard wasn't just posted as a general hazard with no specific type selected? I get "Hazard reported ahead" but it was reported as only a hazard. But hazard>construction or hazard>lane closed will still say that I would think.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
XPLORx4 wrote:How can I tell if a hazard was reported as just a general hazard or if there is additional detail? The icons are the same.
The alert popup I don't think will say because it is too small. But if you tap on the actual hazard pin, it should say there.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
rmsiegel1954 wrote:How did you even know this? I couldn't find anything in the Waze help or FAQ or any where else which is why I asked the original question. Did you just figure it out via trial and error? I had never even noticed the mute button until you mentioned it.
I've been here way too long. :D

FYI: The Mute button now in v3.6 does Mute All. The only way to get just alerts is to turn off navigation guidance in settings. I've requested more than once now, that the button be a trinary: Mute Off, All Mute, Nav Mute, with some kind of graphical display showing the current setting being part of the button.

I also agree that there are more features Waze needs to package into alerts, but they also need to add more granular settings for a variety of things.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Should say on the popup.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
That's the one I meant ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by McCracken808
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:FYI: The Mute button now in v3.6 does Mute All. The only way to get just alerts is to turn off navigation guidance in settings. I've requested more than once now, that the button be a trinary: Mute Off, All Mute, Nav Mute, with some kind of graphical display showing the current setting being part of the button.

This is unfortunate. I have not noticed it as I'm on full navigation to check out TTS in new version. Once I know what a route sounds like, I would mute to just get traffic notices. I will miss this "option".
McCracken808
Send a message
Aloha,
Douglas

AM - Hawaii

https://db.tt/jYYT4mG3https://db.tt/4b2TzYlShttps://db.tt/AnfHrb6N
Waze Resources:
Waze Wiki, Landmarks Guideline, Area Manager Wiki, Best Practices

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.1, Waze 3.8, Mazda3

Post by RMSguy
Alan,

How did you even know this? I couldn't find anything in the Waze help or FAQ or any where else which is why I asked the original question. Did you just figure it out via trial and error? I had never even noticed the mute button until you mentioned it.

From a UI perspective clicking the mute button to get just hazard/warning/traffic info is completely counter-intuitive. I agree with XPLORx4's comment this should be a more explicit option probably under the Settings. Also, now when I get verbal info like "Traffic Ahead" via Waze connecting with Bluetooth to my car I would be great if it told me what road.

Any Waze developers out there lurking on this thread? :-)

Bob
RMSguy
Send a message

Post by xplorx4
Related to this question,

Can there be a setting to change the thoroughness of voice navigation separately from hazard announcements? At the moment, the setting for changing the voice navigation from "full directions with street names" to "minimal" also changes the hazard notifications from "Warning. Vehicle stopped on shoulder ahead" to "Hazard reported ahead".

It would be nice to retain the expanded hazard notification while reducing the navigation announcements.
xplorx4
Send a message